TAR 22: Earl Strickland vs Shane Van Boening. December 2,3,4 in the TAR Studio

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
TAR22_640.jpg

The Action Report is excited to announce TAR 22: Strickland vs Van Boening. This match will take place December 2,3,4 2011 at the TAR Studio in Las Vegas, NV. The match will be 9 Ball, race to 75, $5000 per man winner take all. Rules are winner breaks, rack your own with a magic rack on the TAR Studio 9 foot Diamond Pro Am with the "Fatboy" rails by RealKing Cobra that feature 4 1/8" pockets. The 9 ball must be made last and will spot up if made on the break or early in the rack on a combo or carom. Call shot/call safe rules will be used just like in the last match between these two.

This match is presented by CueSports International and will be the second match to be streamed live from the TAR Studio. The match will begin at 7 PM Eastern each day. Match format is race to 25 first day, first to 50 second day and finish the set on the third and final day.

There will be limited seating available in the TAR Studio for those who would like to come to Las Vegas to watch this match live. It is the weekend before Mosconi Cup so it may make for a nice pool trip to Vegas to watch TAR 22 and then the Mosconi Cup four days later.

Seating and PPV info will be up soon on theactionreport.com

Any questions or comments lets hear 'em. I know this is gonna get it stirred up one way or another.

Last edited:

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is HUGE, cannot WAIT! The change to 9-Ball gives Earl a much bigger chance to even things up with Shane.

The last TAR with these guys was just pure entertainment, Earl was at his best as always

Last edited:

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Just to get it out of the way:

Yes the match is for $5k and not $10K each. It was what was possible and we wanted to do a match before the Mosconi Cup. Since no one is exactly jumping up to play $10K sets lately we figured it better to have these two go at it for a little less than to not do anything. Pretty sure the money won't be an issue with either one of these guys.

Yes this match has Shane in it again. Once again it is because he will play just about anyone and be flexible on the rules. I would love to have some different players in our matches and will do all I can to make it happen. Lately it seems not a lot of people are willing or able to make a game that both sides will agree to. Shane is pretty easy to work with, will play about anyone and never has money problems. So you are probably gonna see a lot of him from us.

Yes this is 9 Ball. I pushed for that because Shane beat Earl playing 10 ball on a nine footer, Earl beat Shane playing 10 Ball on a ten footer so why not do something different for the third one. Earl is arguably the best 9 ball player in history and almost definitely the best American 9 ball player. I thought it would be cool for these two to go at it old school and they agreed. Also the race to 75 means going to 25 each night which means no more 8 to 9 hour days. Each day should go pretty quick which everyone seems to want.

I know this match is going to piss off as many people as it will please so just let it begin. :D

RealLive

JUICEISBACK.COM
Silver Member
hmmmm since it's 9ball, i wonder how many shane will string together this time...

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have known about this for about a week or so now due to good friends :)

9 ball eh?

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't wait. Not pissing me off. I will be there as usual. I am just happy you are working hard to put things together. Should be an interesting match to see the different dynamics of the 9 ball game.

Winner should get to play Donnie Mills some RYO :)

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Just to get it out of the way:

Yes the match is for $5k and not $10K each. It was what was possible and we wanted to do a match before the Mosconi Cup. Since no one is exactly jumping up to play $10K sets lately we figured it better to have these two go at it for a little less than to not do anything. Pretty sure the money won't be an issue with either one of these guys.

Yes this match has Shane in it again. Once again it is because he will play just about anyone and be flexible on the rules. I would love to have some different players in our matches and will do all I can to make it happen. Lately it seems not a lot of people are willing or able to make a game that both sides will agree to. Shane is pretty easy to work with, will play about anyone and never has money problems. So you are probably gonna see a lot of him from us.

Yes this is 9 Ball. I pushed for that because Shane beat Earl playing 10 ball on a nine footer, Earl beat Shane playing 10 Ball on a ten footer so why not do something different for the third one. Earl is arguably the best 9 ball player in history and almost definitely the best American 9 ball player. I thought it would be cool for these two to go at it old school and they agreed. Also the race to 75 means going to 25 each night which means no more 8 to 9 hour days. Each day should go pretty quick which everyone seems to want.

I know this match is going to piss off as many people as it will please so just let it begin. :D

JCIN I Like the rules and the race structure. Should be done in 4 hours per day, gives me time to get to the dollar bill spot. Old Earl better pack a lunch for this one. SVB made that table look like buckets by the time he was done roasting alex.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
since the days (races to 25) will go faster, how about tacking on a short 1P race to the end of each day :p :thumbup:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Sweet, the Fatboy rails sells it, I am buying. This could be a real tough match for Earl, Shane already played with these rails and managed two 6 packs and a 7 pack in 10-ball with them. He is apt to run 10-packs of 9-ball on the things. Earl will have to show up with his best game for this one.

If Shane wins this one it sets up perfectly for the grudge match on one of the new 10-footers from Diamond.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
since the days (races to 25) will go faster, how about tacking on a short 1P race to the end of each day :p :thumbup:

Earl and SVB one pocket would be really short even if they have a really long race. They both got real strong 8 and out moves.

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
Tar

thanks for bringing these matches to us! This one will be good. Especially with the close quarters of the TAR studio. Earl is subject to put someone's eye out with that cue.....GO EARL!

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Yes this is 9 Ball. I pushed for that because Shane beat Earl playing 10 ball on a nine footer, Earl beat Shane playing 10 Ball on a ten footer so why not do something different for the third one.

I thought the next logical progression would be 10 ball on a 12-footer, but hey, I'll settle for this.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Earl/Shane, the trilogy...cool.

OK, here's my b!tch, Justin:

I just wish this would go down in *November* instead (my schedule would have put me in the right place at the right time, again, to drop in). Oh well, whats a girl to do.

Hey, maybe I can convince you to come out, have some drinks and visit some single working moms next month....

Eric

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Oh hell yes.

This is gonna be awesome. I hope I can arrange some time to catch some of this one.

Bank2Win

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This Match ought to set some records for Racks Run. If Shane can string 7 racks of 10 ball on that table with a magic rack, what kind of number is he going to put up playing 9ball with a magic rack, where the wing ball is about a 98% lock to go in the corner every time.

I wonder if there is a pattern rack rule, where they are required to just throw the balls in the rack without placing them where they want.

No Early Nine, might take away some short games, but I don't think it will have any drastic effect on the number of racks put together.

In Shane's last set with Alex he broke and Ran 38 times out of 99 attempts, just under 38%. Using those numbers he is expected to run at least 28 racks if he breaks 74 or 75 times.

If a guy where to set a line such as Shane runs 65% of the racks he breaks, would that entice anyone to make a wager...So if Shane breaks 75 times he has to run 48 games (rounded down).

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does this table take balls easily on the break? If so, I'm sure Earl will be irate if wing balls start flying in and Shane runs rack after rack. I'm surprised Earl didn't insist on breaking from the box

Medalist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the price going to be the same to watch half the action and 3/4 the race?

100 is way way too long. I've watched the last couple and I'm more inclined to buy the third knowing it's down to 75. The 10k 5k whatever means nothing to me. These guys would play just as hard for free. This is going to be killer.