Why so few Pinoys?

brandonspitler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has probably been asked and answered already, but....
Why so few Pinoys at the US Open? By this, I mean, no Efren, no Bustamante, no Alcano, no Orcullo, no Manalo?
Also, I recently saw a player on a live stream named Bucky Savanthong, where is he from and where does he usually play? Looks to be a very good player, is he a young up and comer? Or has he been around a while?
Just curious.

In advance....THANKS FOR THE INFO JAY! LOL!

Thx,
Brandon Lee Spitler.

darren_simion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer you question. The Southeast Asian games is up. Snooker and pool is included. They are repping the country for this event.

Pangit

Banned
To answer you question. The Southeast Asian games is up. Snooker and pool is included. They are repping the country for this event.

And that trans-pacific flight is a long haul. Jet-Lag, it ain't cheap either especially for a Pinoy. Lodging food, etc...

And it seems that the majority of big tourney's (not all) are being held in the PI or Asia anyway???

Why bother?

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's the same argument about why the Americans don't go to Asia to play in the tournaments there. It's just not worth the trouble when you have a better chance of making money at home.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Bucky plays out of upstate New York. Rochester if I am not mistaken.

Why so few Pinoys at the US Open? By this, I mean, no Efren, no Bustamante, no Alcano, no Orcullo, no Manalo?
Also, I recently saw a player on a live stream named Bucky Savanthong, where is he from and where does he usually play? Looks to be a very good player, is he a young up and comer? Or has he been around a while?
Just curious.

Thx,
Brandon Lee Spitler.

Pangit

Banned
Just curious.

Thx,
Brandon Lee Spitler.

I don't know about "Internationally", only seen Efren play in small places in AC and Subic, Puerta Galara Still, has an impressive entourage. They ain't "hanging" on for free...guys running around breaking down his cue's, he doesn't carry his own cue case in the RP. Balato...pasalubong.

It's expected.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious.

Thx,
Brandon Lee Spitler.

Brandon, there were actually quite a few very good filipino players in the U.S. Open this year besides Lee Van Corteza. More than ten for sure. You may not be as familiar with players like Carlo Biado, Antonio Gabica, Warren Kiamco and Antonio Lining. But trust me, these guys can play! They might beat ANYONE!

In the past, the top flipinos would come all this way to play in more than one tournament. Last year for example they could go to Florida to play the Seminole Pro Tour Championship, one week after the U. S. Open. This year they had no secondary events to play in. As someone else said it's a long (and expensive) trip just to play in one tournament.

Last edited:

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Added money was lowered substantially this year and first place payout dropped by $10,000.

That should answer everything.

Also Jay, Carlo Biado did not play in the Open.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Added money was lowered substantially this year and first place payout dropped by $10,000.

That should answer everything.

Also Jay, Carlo Biado did not play in the Open.

Added money remained at $50,000 this year, the same as last year. Additionally, another 10K was added in player entry fees for past champions and the early reduced entry fees. First place was lowered by $10,000 and the money was redistributed to lower places for a more even distribution.

You are correct about Carlo. He was unable to get his visa and I'm working on that now, so he can play at DCC. Thanks

Last edited:
Bucky is a great player that is from Binghampton NY. He beat SVB at the last Turning Stone event, and for a while looked like he would win the entire event. I believe he finished 7/8th.

He is a regular on the Joss tour, and is one of the few players there that can give Hatch a scare.