Question about one pocket layout

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And anyway- about the shot- could the 14 have been rolled at w/ L) spin, cutting it to the r)?

You know, just bunt it up the table, and leave CB near opponents hole?

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
If there is room to play a 2 rail bank on the 14, I'd go for that, otherwise, there is a 2 rail kick safety to be had.

Two rail not available with those buckets. Pockets are too big to make the first rail...hahaha

In the scenario you have illustrated I honestly like a thin hit on the 14 sending it toward your pocket and the cue ball around and up table.

I don't like following the 14 in for two reasons. 1.) based on the way it lays it's not a sure thing you will pocket the cue ball. So with that option you must fly the cue ball off the table. 2.) Someone said earlier that your opponent can re-position the spotted balls in front of their hole and possibly make one with relative ease.

Last edited:

paplayer

Registered
Nope...I was with you on that one.

I'd love play anyone every game from there. especially someone w/ less thann 50 posts.
-coz you know posts are directly related to playing ability, right?!:eek:

I would of felt comfortable coming in behind it w/ left spin and kicking it one rail towards the upper pocket in the kitchen but it was plenty easy to launch it. Losing a ball sucks but I would rather that then kick at the ball off the long rail - insanity. I don't post much because I type w/ one finger, it took me about 40 minutes to write this. lol. Although I'm not sure where the CB was exactly (I had about 20 beers in me - and I still thought his shot was nuts, thats funny, I didn't think about that til now), I know when I left the table I thought "well I got it close but not close enough" and then he lined up for that kick shot and my head started spinning. I never thought our argument would of created this much conversation though.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
I'm nowhere near the player The Saw is, so I'm more conservative. I'm just trying to live to fight another inning and clear my opponents pocket, but not with a kick. I'd hit it heads-up and stick the CB in front of his pocket and send the 14 the F outta there.

You're probably the better player.... This is a spot where I myself like to get agressive and send the guy on tilt if I make it. On suspect equipment I don't like thinning the 14, on good equipment its a good safe shot. Banking the 14 out is too nitty for me, plus you may leave a good two railer on the 5 or a decent bank on the 14. I hit this shot my way 5-6 times and a few times the two other ways last night and liked the results of my shot best. Different strokes....

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Yeah I agree, but I'm also the person that makes the right decisions playing $0.10/$0.20 FL HE because its the right play. And I welcome the wrong plays playing that game because I will win in the long run. Might not be much but I would rather win a little than lose a little.

Its easier to fade in poker though because you're playing so many hands per hour as opposed to a few an hour playing one pocket. If they sh!t out a few times an hour its brutal.

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
could you weii diagram exactly what you did??
thanks

Here it is:

2_rail_kick_bank.jpg

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
I set this same shot up on a table in a different room today and on that equipment I agree with everything that is being said about it being the wrong shot and just plain dumb. However, if you ever have the opportunity to play at Champs in State College, set this shot up and shoot it a few times in the various ways and then think it over some more. You might find you agree with me on this one occasion.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just win from here: kick to the side rail, bottom rail, into the 14 banking it to your hole and getting position under the 5 for the win if you happen to make the 14.

In other words, I have no idea :thumbup:.

Dave

No love for my original post? Isn't this the shot you chose?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
And anyway- about the shot- could the 14 have been rolled at w/ L) spin, cutting it to the r)?

You know, just bunt it up the table, and leave CB near opponents hole?

This is the only shot I'd play from there. Playing a thin bank toward your pocket seems way too risky to me; if you don't avoid the kiss, you lose. And kicking to the short rail behind the 14 seems too hard to execute consistently. Whereas playing a medium/soft shot cutting the 14 to the right as much as I can with left english to kill the CB, seems like it leaves no obvious return shot, and invites my opponent to make a crucial mistake on the next shot.

-Andrew

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
Andrew's signature reminded me of another great quote from Danny D. that is probably apropos to my shot selection; 'He shot the wrong shot perfectly!'.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
It really depends on the exact spot of the 14... Pocket size and cloth condition. Ive come up with a few shots that could be done to handle the situation...

1.) If you are it striking really good I would go with the two way shot. The 2 rail kick bank towards your hole.

2.) If the ball is far enough off the rail I would use a well struck drag draw shot with tons of left to throw it out so you don't kiss it and leave it for your opponent. If you hit this solid and get the desired results the bonus is the cueball will kill right next to his pocket.

3.) An option (if you're feeling strong) is the swerve kick safe. Jack up and hit it with good Top left and kick the ball out. Only problem with this type of shot if you hit it too hard you may leave a bank :angry:

4.) The one rail bank ;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the only shot I'd play from there. Playing a thin bank toward your pocket seems way too risky to me; if you don't avoid the kiss, you lose. And kicking to the short rail behind the 14 seems too hard to execute consistently. Whereas playing a medium/soft shot cutting the 14 to the right as much as I can with left english to kill the CB, seems like it leaves no obvious return shot, and invites my opponent to make a crucial mistake on the next shot.

-Andrew

Thank you for articulating/ deciphering what I was trying to say!

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
For the record, the shot that I diagrammed in post #20 is absolutely not the shot I would shoot. Without being at the table and really seeing the distance from the rails/pocket it is hard to say what I would actually do.