The Right Shoe whats ideal for pool

wvroadplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i recently bought a pair of nike runner 2s and they r super light im curious what do you wear when you play long sets or gambling we all know its a must u wear comfortable stuff so i was curious what other players think is perfect type of shoe for playin in. thoughts please post em or pics im shoe nut as well as cue fanatic thought this would b fun!

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I play at a local bar on Tuesdays for the free pool. Play literally all night, into the early morning. On my feet the whole time, so I wear a pair of Timberland low cut work boots. Great support, not too heavy.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i recently bought a pair of nike runner 2s and they r super light im curious what do you wear when you play long sets or gambling we all know its a must u wear comfortable stuff so i was curious what other players think is perfect type of shoe for playin in. thoughts please post em or pics im shoe nut as well as cue fanatic thought this would b fun!

Go to a quality running store and get a good pair of running shoes. A good store will give you the correct shoe for your foot and for the biomechanics of your foot during gait. Running shoes have the best arch support and cushioning that will allow you to tolerate prolonged standing and walking. They usually cost between $85 and $120. Anythind under this is not usually of sufficient quality, and anything over that is usually unnecessary.

Also, realize that a good pair of shoes needs to be changed about every 6 months if you use them a lot, or the the arch support and cushioning will break down to a point where they are not accomplishing what they are set out to do anymore.

This is one of the most common things I ask my patients to do when they have foot problems, and often with knee problems as it helps align the ankle, knee and hip, and correctly absorbs shock throughout the ankle to the back.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Nike Airmax... They are $170 but you're feet will thank me.
Nike-Air-Max-2012.jpg

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like these:

http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#...xel-sneaker-in-Damier-Embossed-Leather-836242

I just got a pair in germany, they are expensive(I paid lots less than what the price is on the link) but wow are they well made, i played a 6 hour session in them last week and they are great. my feet got a little hot. I am not used to using socks so that was probably it. I have been dressing like a bum the past few yrs playing pool, so I decided to start dressing better, shoes first.

I also use Chuck Taylor's low top All Stars with no socks, my feet dont sweat or smell so I can get away with that.

That's if I have to wear shoes, i perfer to play barefoot.

I dont like bouncy running shoes, I like flat footed shoes for pool. no shoes is the best I like how the ground feel on my feet.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nike Airmax... They are $170 but you're feet will thank me.
Nike-Air-Max-2012.jpg

wow those are great for the gym, thanks for the link. I havent bought cloths in years and am starting to shop a little, I havent figured out what running/gym shoes to buy yet, these look great.:smile::smile:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I've had a shoe fetish when it comes to pool and have tried MANY different shoes, not all of them, but a lot of them. Most of the time, I listened to friends who play pool with like mind, body and spirit. Sometimes, I take the advice of others in the medical field who are on their feet for long periods of time or sales people who spend a lot of time on concrete.

On athletic shoes: The top shoe manufacturers all make great shoes, but you should try on several different pairs while you are in the store to find out which pair YOUR FEET like best.

I guess the same can be said of the other types of shoes.

My conclusion after trying many pairs of shoes is that a WALKING SHOE is best for playing pool for long periods of time.

I sometimes wear a pair of New Balance MW927BK, 2E,

but my favorite shoe is the Mephisto Match Shoe Item# 13398 at onlineshoes.com Size: 11 M Color: Tan Grain

They have free shipping and a great return policy. Check with them before ordering. I think they even have a live chat to answer your questions.

I've had the Mephisto Match shoes for I guess a couple of months now and find myself wearing them everyday. I know that you have to give shoes a little breather between wearings and I suppose the intelligent thing is for me to swallow hard and belly up to the keyboard and buy another pair, maybe black this time. Yeah, they're kind of expensive and I never thought in a million years I would ever recommend buying a $350 pair of shoes. My dad who grew up in the Great Depression has to be turning over in his grave.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Another thing, if someone with money sees you wearing those Match Mephistos, they will think you have a big bank roll for gambling. :D

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being a retired lettercarrier 31 yrs I know my workshoes were as good as anything. Having said that I learned if you put apair of those arch supports and those $20. ONES WORK JUST AS WELL AS $300. ONES Iwalked my rt. and in summer 18 holes after work in winter hours of pool inserts work .

JoeyA

Silver Member
Being a retired lettercarrier 31 yrs I know my workshoes were as good as anything. Having said that I learned if you put apair of those arch supports and those $20. ONES WORK JUST AS WELL AS $300. ONES Iwalked my rt. and in summer 18 holes after work in winter hours of pool inserts work .

Letter carriers knows walking. ;)

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New Balance walking shoes. Affordable ($40?), light, comfortable, good cushioning, great arch support and traction. My feet haven't complained no matter how long I play, never notice anything to distract me.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
Ok

New balance is ....eh ....ok but a good pair of Ecco's with aetrex lynco inserts for sports is what I have come to believe in .:thumbup:
ecco2.jpg

lynco.jpg

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I was wearing Cole Haan walking shoes with Nike Air in them for a long time. They are comfortable and stylish (but being leather, they get hot in the summer). I pretty much wore those into the dirt and now wear a pair of Pumas which are great.

The best shoe is something that you are comfortable in and that isn't too heavy. Fashion is in the eye of the beholder of course and you can pick whatever you like in that regard, but I would pick a shoe that you can wear at tournaments that don't allow tennis shoes.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

Everyone's feet are different. You need to go to a store that has trained sales people such as The Walking Company. Try on various styles and makes. If it feels great buy it. If it doesn't keep looking. You should never buy a shoe to break it in. The shoe should feel great as soon as you put it on. What you need is a walking shoe or one for standing non impact. Athletic shoes are made for impact and not for long periods of standing.

Google proper shoes or how to get the proper shoe. Here is a site with some good info

http://www.pennlive.com/bodyandmind/index.ssf/2009/02/getting_the_right_fit_gets_hig.html

JoeyA

Silver Member
I was wearing Cole Haan walking shoes with Nike Air in them for a long time. They are comfortable and stylish (but being leather, they get hot in the summer). I pretty much wore those into the dirt and now wear a pair of Pumas which are great.

The best shoe is something that you are comfortable in and that isn't too heavy. Fashion is in the eye of the beholder of course and you can pick whatever you like in that regard, but I would pick a shoe that you can wear at tournaments that don't allow tennis shoes.

Shoes are like cue sticks and cue cases, something for everyone's taste.
But one of the things I really just don't connect with is how less weight means a good thing for walking shoes. Running shoes, yeah lighter weight makes some sense but not for walking shoes.

The weight between a heavy pair of shoes doesn't bother me, nor does the heavier weight of a cue case. I know the difference in weight can be quite different between shoes but a shoe being lighter doesn't make it more attractive for me. I prefer a shoe built for overall comfort, not less weight. In fact, I find lighter shoes, not as comfortable as heavier shoes.

I guess I just don't get it with people's propensity toward lighter weight items. Generally speaking most of the lighter weight items don't have the quality of workmanship that the heavier ones have.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best shoes to play in ? I like spreading broken glass across the floor and play bear footed. I have a frend in Alaska that brings a Comfy pair of slippers and just changes into them before he starts to play.