Is this a good lathe?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking at a cincinnati 13-42
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CINCINNATI-...416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbff38950
It is this lathe without a couple of pieces. I am spending five hundred and then some for reconditioning. Will it do the trick. Are tools for this machine resonable priced. Thank you in advance.

In general, if you have to ask this question, the answer is probably,
"not for you".
But, if you can get it in good working condition - have at it.

This lathe looks to be from the days before CNC 'took over' machining.
Though it is certainly recent enough to last for several cue making careers.

Once upon a time, Cincinnati Milling Machine made as good an example
of machine tools as was ever produced on the planet. If the lathe you are
considering is called a "Cincinnati" it might be from the time after they had
spun off the machine tool biz.

'Will it do the trick'? Sure, maybe...

What is the reason(s) for the reconditioning.

Lathes do wear - esp if used for production.

Tooling should be fairly standard - the price, and quality will depend
mostly on where you buy it. Chinese from fleabay, cheap...

Just don't think you will be able to find a steadyrest for $60.

Dale

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would think this is 3-phase.. do you have a convertor? The 1.5 thru hole and 42" between centers are both pluses but at $4000+ in cost you might find something cheaper that will do all you need on cues. Also, the auction details do not state the condition of the ways, have you contacted the seller to find out?

Bob Danielson
www.bdcuesandcomix.com

roberthans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This model

The lathe is three phase. I have priced the roto-phaser and all that. The reconditioning is emptying out the hydrolics and cleanibg the lines etc. I am looking at picking the lathe I am looking at, up for five hundred. I do use a wood lathe a fair amount and I ask about this one because I am not familiar with the machinist lathe.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The lathe is three phase. I have priced the roto-phaser and all that. The reconditioning is emptying out the hydrolics and cleanibg the lines etc. I am looking at picking the lathe I am looking at, up for five hundred. I do use a wood lathe a fair amount and I ask about this one because I am not familiar with the machinist lathe.
Forget it, it is too much money for a pig in a polk. You can almost get a new import lathe for what you will end up having in that mystery lathe. I just took a quick look at craigs list and lathes are a dime a dozen now a days all over the country.Look around for something good, reasonably prices and suited to cue work. Cue work is light duty machining, you don't need a monster lathe to do cue work. This will also not be the only lathe you will buy and you will own them for the rest of your life most likely. Don't be in a hurry.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member

Since there have already been some comments about price, let's clarify. Are you looking at buying the one in your link for $3500, or are you actaully looking at another similar one for $500?

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
lathe

Sure it will do tricks and only 2450 lbs. Pew. Eas to move just scoot it around. Pass and move on to the next one.

Sonny1918

Registered
When you buy a Cinncinati you are paying for a High quality casting and not some chinese boat anchor.;)
That said, you need to know the condition of the ways and even more important is what is the backlash on the screw. If you can't hold a tolerance it isn't worth jack

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you buy a Cinncinati you are paying for a High quality casting and not some chinese boat anchor.;)
That said, you need to know the condition of the ways and even more important is what is the backlash on the screw. If you can't hold a tolerance it isn't worth jack

It's true that the ways are important on a lathe but they can be ground to perfection but it is a lot of hand work. The most important worry on that lathe is the hydro-shift. Parts are unavailable and without it your screwed. Back lash on the the screw is immaterial. Every screw has back lash even if it's never made a turn. When machining you'll learn very quickly how to compensate for back lash all the way up to when the brass nuts threads are completely gone.

dick

roberthans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots to look into.

I do thank you all. The weight concerns me also. I can move around a thousand or fifteen hundred pounds with coffin hoists and stuff. The twenty-four hundred pounds does raise issues. How expensive is the tooling that goes with this machine?