Best reasonable cost webcam for pool table?

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
I want to set up a webcam to my computer to tape practice and matches to study, what is the best camera with in a reasonable price range? Is there anything that works well for less than $100, how bout less than $50?

thanks

Woody

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
You said webcam but are you looking for a webcam or something just to record practice sessions for yourself? Do a search on here ans there are several threads about video recorders for under $200 that record in HD.

I think an HD webcam is significantly more money. At least the stuff that TAR and Accustats uses.

Here's a couple to get you started:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=253408

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=14655

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=190529

Last edited:

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
Iphone 3gs / any decent smartphone
Phone tripod.
Advantage= you can setup a bluetooth connection for handsfree and no one will disturb you again while training.
Cost ~150$.
Chris

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for sharing branpureza

great pictures on the Kodakzi8, check out the on line price spread! Thanks,

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

Bran, question about the video. The camera is a 1080P but the video says the rez only goes to 480. I put it on 480 but it sure seems better than that. Did you record that in HD?

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Bran, question about the video. The camera is a 1080P but the video says the rez only goes to 480. I put it on 480 but it sure seems better than that. Did you record that in HD?

I've always just kept it on the 720p setting.

I used to work at Best Buy and honestly I don't buy Kodak anything... but this was definitely the exception when it comes to the mini camcorders. Every review on every site was giving it rave reviews at the time I purchased it and I was pleasantly surprised. It works great and backup batteries are only like 25 bucks.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
You're one helluva shot. I think you'd drill just about anyone around here.

That's camcorder shoots some nice, clean footage. Looks like a great price as well.

I assume you're just setting this up on a tripod or something? If so, what brand of 'pod? Then hooking it up to the computer for a download and to do some editing? How much footage will it hold before you have to clear it out? Does it use a SD card or something?

I've never actually done any of this, but I'd like to start trying for practice sessions at home. Maybe even some tournament matches.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

I used to work at Best Buy and honestly I don't buy Kodak anything... but this was definitely the exception when it comes to the mini camcorders. Every review on every site was giving it rave reviews at the time I purchased it and I was pleasantly surprised. It works great and backup batteries are only like 25 bucks.

Is it still one of the better ones or has newer stuff come out that you would suggest now at under $200?

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
You're one helluva shot. I think you'd drill just about anyone around here.

That's camcorder shoots some nice, clean footage. Looks like a great price as well.

I assume you're just setting this up on a tripod or something? If so, what brand of 'pod? Then hooking it up to the computer for a download and to do some editing? How much footage will it hold before you have to clear it out? Does it use a SD card or something?

I've never actually done any of this, but I'd like to start trying for practice sessions at home. Maybe even some tournament matches.

Thanks! I just have it on a small tripod.. the legs extend pretty far to adjust the height.

I edited the video on my mac... all I really did was trim the video and add background music.

Attachments

• kodakzi8.jpg
    kodakzi8.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 678

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Is it still one of the better ones or has newer stuff come out that you would suggest now at under $200?

Shoot man, I haven't worked at Best Buy for almost 2 years... I could do some checking around and get back with you later tonight. On my way to the gym at the moment but I'll do some searching. Kinda curious myself anyway...

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. I have a small camera like the one shown above, but I'm really wanting something connected to the computer so I don't have to worry about running out of room to record or batteries. Also that way I don't have to mess with transferring the files.

phade

I am one with my cue
Silver Member
Camera

I have a flip share camera. It's in hd records for like 3 hours. Plug and play. Charges when pluged in to any computer.software built in. It's about $100 - $200 used maybe $50. Once you plug it to the computer it download the video and saves it to your pc.. I think it's great and I never lose a moment of practice. Thanx Dom

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Alternitive to web cam

If you have a digital camera with video capability that will work. I use a cannon power shot with a AC adapter and I have shot all of my videos with that.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
I have a flip share camera. It's in hd records for like 3 hours. Plug and play. Charges when pluged in to any computer.software built in. It's about $100 - $200 used maybe $50. Once you plug it to the computer it download the video and saves it to your pc.. I think it's great and I never lose a moment of practice. Thanx Dom

The flip share is the one I have, works pretty well. But 3 hrs isnt even close to being long enough lol.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to set up a webcam to my computer to tape practice and matches to study, what is the best camera with in a reasonable price range? Is there anything that works well for less than $100, how bout less than $50?

thanks

Woody

This is the ticket: https://www.dropcam.com/

Not only for pool use - monitor your home on your phone while away, night vision. Only $150.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

Thanks for the review and link! Couple of questions if I may: at 720p and 60 pics per second (which I'm assuming is the setting you meant), what's the maximum length you film? I read somewhere that the Zi8 and Zi10 only accept SD-cards up to 32 GB, so what about filming e.g. a Straight Pool match? :D

Also, would you say the pool hall in which you video-taped yourself (nice shooting, by the way) is relatively well-lit (for a pool hall, that is - ours tend not to be by modern standards, usually a problem for most camcorders).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
At 1080Px30fps and 720x60fps settings my zi8 gave me an estimate of 2 hours 48 minutes on a 16GB SD card. The battery last about 75-90 minutes. If you don't want to swap out batteries, then you'll need to keep it charged using the USB cable or an external USB battery pack. The zi8 saves in mov format, while the zi10 saves in mp4 format.

If you want to dip your toes in video, these Kodaks are perfect as they are light, inexpensive, and fits into a cue case. They have no optical zoom, no moving parts, but come with advanced features such as external mic jacks, and a optional remote control which you will not find in this price range.

Thanks for the review and link! Couple of questions if I may: at 720p and 60 pics per second (which I'm assuming is the setting you meant), what's the maximum length you film? I read somewhere that the Zi8 and Zi10 only accept SD-cards up to 32 GB, so what about filming e.g. a Straight Pool match? :D

Also, would you say the pool hall in which you video-taped yourself (nice shooting, by the way) is relatively well-lit (for a pool hall, that is - ours tend not to be by modern standards, usually a problem for most camcorders).

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
My zi8 came up with a time estimate of over 22 hours on 32 GB SD card on 720x30 mode. At 1080Px30, I was getting mov files roughly 2.2 GB per hour of raw footage. The newer zi10 saves natively in mp4 format.

The battery last about 75-90 minutes. If you don't want to swap out batteries, then you'll need to keep it charged using the USB cable or an external USB battery pack.

Thanks! Is 720px30 sufficient for slow motion analysis, by the way? Assumed you're using 720px60?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I rarely used 720px60 feature, as it creates files as large as 1080p, so I usually stay with 720px30. I've taped other people, and stepping through 1 frame at a time at 30 fps was sufficient.

FWIW, if you're doing editing I found it takes longer to process 1080p than 720p. Even as something simple as trimming a video and slapping on a title and credits, it can take all night to finalize, whereas in 720p I can turn the same length footage around in 1/4 the time.

Thanks! Is 720px30 sufficient for slow motion analysis, by the way? Assumed you're using 720px60?