Polishing Balls During a Run

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
BTW, on a side note - I don't know why I don't know this but is the 14.1 Challenge played all ball fouls (both the high run competition and the match play)?

The DCC 14.1 Challenge is played all ball fouls, the high run competition and all the match play. The balls are cleaned before the player starts the first of his 4 attempts for the day. Each match starts with clean balls.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The DCC 14.1 Challenge is played all ball fouls, the high run competition and all the match play. The balls are cleaned before the player starts the first of his 4 attempts for the day. Each match starts with clean balls.

Thanks, I thought so but wasn't sure.

What are the policies regarding cleaning the CB and OBs during a run or match?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Thanks, I thought so but wasn't sure.

What are the policies regarding cleaning the CB and OBs during a run or match?

There are no "policies" that I know of. As I said earlier, there has never been a request to clean or polish the balls during a run, so we never felt the need to come up with a policy.

As for the cue ball, whenever anyone asks to have it cleaned, I do so. I mark the spot and clean it off with a rag. No polish. I have never in a tournament seen a referee refuse to clean off a ball when requested by the player. I think they deserve to have a clean cue ball whenever they see a problem.

That being said, I remember cleaning the ball for Bobby Hunter once this year, right after the cue ball skidded. I remember cleaning the ball for Danny Harriman once mid rack a year or two ago. I think I recall seeing Rich Klein or Bill clean the cue ball once for Dennis Orcollo. And that is about it.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
...That being said, I remember cleaning the ball for Bobby Hunter once this year, right after the cue ball skidded. I remember cleaning the ball for Danny Harriman once mid rack. I remember because I may have not placed it back exactly where it should have been placed and Danny noticed, but said it was his fault and went with it anyway.

Your comments about cleaning the CB on request seem reasonable to me. Thinking about it, I've never seen an official refuse to clean a CB when requested either.

The situation with Bobby Hunter sounds interesting. Was Bobby coming in after his opponent caught a skidder or was he at the table and made the shot anyway? That NEVER happens to me when I catch a skidder. I almost always miss by at least 1/2 a diamond.:(

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Your comments about cleaning the CB on request seem reasonable to me. Thinking about it, I've never seen an official refuse to clean a CB when requested either.

The situation with Bobby Hunter sounds interesting. Was Bobby coming in after his opponent caught a skidder or was he at the table and made the shot anyway? That NEVER happens to me when I catch a skidder. I almost always miss by at least 1/2 a diamond.:(

Among other, one can have a bad contact on a straight-in shot - on a follow shot, the cue ball virtually climbs the object ball, and depending on the speed, bounces as well as loses some or all of the forward rotation it should have retained after contact.

Also, apart from missing, one may still (barely) make the ball on slight angle shots that aren't too sensitive, such as drag draws. Or, cutting with outside English might lead to a negligible undercut. Etc. & etc.

While I've missed too many balls due to a skid, I must have pocketed thousands that had one - happens more often than one might think…

I even remember one match, one of the most important of my competitive career, when I started to shoot most balls with what I call "roll-off" English (= the exact amount of outside English to avoid a bad contact, different depending upon angle and speed, a matter of feel) because the conditions were atrocious (should say in all fairness, they changed suddenly due to rain and a noticeable temperature drop). And the more the ref cleaned the balls with gloves, the more static they got, so it was hopeless…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
All very true. Whenever I hear "skidder" my mind immediately goes to the bad miss that always happens at the absolute worst time, LOL.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

It was the kind of skidder where the cue ball climbed up on the ball a little before going forward. It was straight in. It was the 14th ball in a rack. The result was that the cue ball did not go as far as he expected and he did not have as good an angle on his break shot as he had expected.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like what the refs do at the European Championships: they wear gloves and clean object balls gently and quickly while taking them out of the pockets, whereas they'll clean the cue ball upon request - provided there is a visible chalk spot on it etc. They'll not allow excessive cleaning, let alone stalling, as when the shot clock is in use, a player has only one extension per rack, and they're well-trained enough to realize players could make a mockery of the shot clock by having the cue ball cleaned any time they need to take a second look.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

I just don't see the refs ever wearing white gloves here, besides the Mosconi Cup.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou: My memory may be messing with me but I do not remember ever polishing the balls mid run at Derby.

We tried to give a new clean set at the beginning of their first inning. Sometimes, when it was busy, even that did not happen. I do not remember anyone ever asking for new balls during their time at the table.

I don't either. What I said was some guys wanted the balls cleaned a lot -- usually before each attempt. I was thinking: suppose everyone asked for the balls to be run through the machine? How much would that slow things up? Maybe it should be: you get the balls cleaned before your set of attempts, so it's fair/equal for everyone...

For that matter: should guys be allowed to bring their own set of balls and shoot the Challenges with those? How about their own cue ball? Or maybe you should an assortment available to choose from :)

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Bill,
Over the past two years, I've enjoyed watching ALL of the 14.1 videos of you, John and Corey. I look forward to seeing many more of these videos. Please don't be offended by the comments people are making here about the frequent cleaning or polishing of the pool balls.

As for myself, the Aramith measles cue ball that I play with does accumulate a lot of chalk marks. When I play 8-ball, 9-ball or 1P, I will wipe the cue ball clean with a microfiber cloth after every rack.

Why should he be offended? We're just talkin' here.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, except sometimes a spectator would steal his cue ball. ;)

I think Willie knew better than most what conditions gave him the best chance to run a lot of balls. Dirty cloth, dirty balls, sticky pockets were his enemies.

I cannot believe someone would steal Mosconi's cue ball.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Same thing happened to Chris Sutzer playing Karen Corr during a DCC 1pocket match a couple of years ago. It was hill-hill and he had a wide open run available and on the second shot, played medium speed, the cue ball practically crawled up the side of the object ball. Corr wins. I don't know why, buy this happens a lot at the DCC. I know I've had it happen, one time twice in one game.

Lou Figueroa

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I just don't see the refs ever wearing white gloves here, besides the Mosconi Cup.

Lou Figueroa

I think it lends the game style if the refs dress up, wear gloves and such… :cool:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgwalsh
Lou: My memory may be messing with me but I do not remember ever polishing the balls mid run at Derby.

We tried to give a new clean set at the beginning of their first inning. Sometimes, when it was busy, even that did not happen. I do not remember anyone ever asking for new balls during their time at the table.

I don't either. What I said was some guys wanted the balls cleaned a lot -- usually before each attempt. I was thinking: suppose everyone asked for the balls to be run through the machine? How much would that slow things up? Maybe it should be: you get the balls cleaned before your set of attempts, so it's fair/equal for everyone...

For that matter: should guys be allowed to bring their own set of balls and shoot the Challenges with those? How about their own cue ball? Or maybe you should an assortment available to choose from :)

Lou Figueroa

Lou:

Actually, what you said was: "Having participated in a few and watched many, I note the when a ball polisher is in the room, some players will the balls polished *a lot* and others not at all. At what point does it become excessive? Who decides? What happens when every player starts picking up on this and the 50 ball runners ask to have the balls polished every other rack like the 200 ball runners?"

You left out the verb as to what it was you saw guys doing, getting the balls polished, wanting to get them polished, asking to get them polished.

At any rate, I do not recall anyone getting the balls cleaned or asking that they be cleaned between each attempt. If they wanted to get them polished, maybe they just mentioned it to you. We did just as you are suggesting. Provided them with a clean set at the beginning of their set of attempts. (sometimes, when it was very busy, we did not even do that). Same for a 10 ball runner as for a 400 ball runner.

No one was allowed to bring their own balls or cue balls. They used the aramith super pro provided by Greg Sullivan. I remember Darren Appleton complaining about not being able to use the measle ball. He said they were using it downstairs. I told him he ran 183 or whatever it was the previous year with the same cue ball we were giving him now and that everyone had to use the same equipment.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it lends the game style if the refs dress up, wear gloves and such… :cool:

Agreed.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess we are. What a guy does while practicing is his business. I'm not enough of a control freak to worry about that.

Who's worried? We're just talking' here. I'd say you're over-reacting.

Lou Figueroa
thought we
was here
to talk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgwalsh

Lou:

Actually, what you said was: "Having participated in a few and watched many, I note the when a ball polisher is in the room, some players will the balls polished *a lot* and others not at all. At what point does it become excessive? Who decides? What happens when every player starts picking up on this and the 50 ball runners ask to have the balls polished every other rack like the 200 ball runners?"

You left out the verb as to what it was you saw guys doing, getting the balls polished, wanting to get them polished, asking to get them polished.

At any rate, I do not recall anyone getting the balls cleaned or asking that they be cleaned between each attempt. If they wanted to get them polished, maybe they just mentioned it to you. We did just as you are suggesting. Provided them with a clean set at the beginning of their set of attempts. (sometimes, when it was very busy, we did not even do that). Same for a 10 ball runner as for a 400 ball runner.

No one was allowed to bring their own balls or cue balls. They used the aramith super pro provided by Greg Sullivan. I remember Darren Appleton complaining about not being able to use the measle ball. He said they were using it downstairs. I told him he ran 183 or whatever it was the previous year with the same cue ball we were giving him now and that everyone had to use the same equipment.

I left out a verb!!!! (Lawyers crack me up.)

I seem to remember a couple of guys getting the balls polished between attempts, so I guess we differ on our recollections. And no, it wasn't a matter of it being busy or not -- it seemed to me that sometimes, some guys, just wouldn't go without the balls being cleaned.

Lou Figueroa
the witness is
available for
redirect

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not mad at you Lou but I don't think you made your case here.

duh. I know you're not mad at me.

And I'm not trying to make any "case' here. (See Dennis for that :)

I would mention in passing though, to your original point, that I agree that what people do in the privacy of their homes is their bizaness. However, when they post said bizaness on the internet, then it is fair game for discussion.

No one is telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do. This is a discussion about how polishing balls during a run changes how the run should be viewed by those who care about the game. The only attempt at freaking control going on here is by those that think that you can't even talk about it.

Lou Figueroa