TAR 25 Day 3 Recap

bignasty

"I already did it"
Silver Member
Whew, where do i start.... Well after the first two days we stand evan at 1 set a piece. For those who didnt get the stream i have mixed feelings as im writing this, i will do my best to describe what NASTY the fan saw. I was very well educated to the lack of respect these two have for each other from knowing both of them and watching them in other tournys and streams. i mean lets not forget they play in the same neck of the woods, and as we all know neither one of them are shy, my point is you put 2 brahma bulls into china shop and well, stuff's getting broke.
On day three, stuff got broke! With the tensions running high from both the sets score at evan and the lions share of the 5k purse on the line, we have the benafit of having both players live miced, which i loved. Personally i understand if a few of you didnt like the language or the badgering but it is the same mic that shows you the REAL side when they dog a ball and say "what ami doing," or "Why does this keep happaning when im about to take the lead" and i think its refreshing to see players that play world class speed having some of the same thoughts and troubles that myself and us amatures go thru
The day started of trading games back and forth with several things bothering Mike, which was very understandable, Dennis was in hs chair working his tip rubbing his arms and working his cue. that being said Dennis was wearing ear plugs and Mike wasnt, most of the time Dennis wasnt doing it into his line of sight and it was when mikes back was to him, the times when mike told Dennis "the head moving" Dennis apolagized immediatly. Mike was in the right i agree. The 2 battled back and forth for several games with a tie score most of the first 2 hours. Both players had been verbally jabbing at each other however Dennis never once made it personnal during the match, Mike in my opinion didnt have to say anything bout Dennis "drinking" or "getting drunk and playing" i feel those comments were uncalled for!
Score tied and both players acting anything but professional, justin issued a 5 minute break to get control of these two. A unpresidented move thus far for any TAR broadcast. After a talking to the players settled down and got back to play. then there was a few safty battles and close hits so Ken Shuman "the voice of TAR" who if you dont know is also a World Class referee, and pulls double duty as our TAR referee was in and out of his commentary chair more than the players it seemed at one point. A crucial part in the match was when Mike played a safe and left Dennis the very outside edge of the ball, very close to the rail, both players looked at the leave and Dennis got down and played a touchy safe, mike thought it was bad and then they got animated again, not nearly to the previous debockles.
Dennis was shaken by the nites previous antics and just couldnt let them go it was visable in his game. Mike did let them go regain his composure and finish off the nite as the stronger player. I enjoyed the raw emotions of both players but i could of done wothout the "personal attacks" and "chair dancing". I wear 2 hats, the hat of TAR and the hat of FAN, TAR learned alot of what to changein the future last night. FAN learned how not to act and verbally disrespect other players.....
Just my 2 cents

Bignasty

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the great report for those of us who missed the match. I like the way you write. It makes me feel like I was there too. :smile:

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
The reason Justin hauled those 2 out is, if you listen to the few minutes prior, Dennis did or said something that really got to Mike & you could hear Mike tell Ken,"I think I'm going to quit. Every shot it's in my head & I just can't sweat it". That little meeting really changed the tide of the match because afterward Mike became a monster on the table & Dennis could never get it together.

I don't mind talking smack at the table and what not, but both these guys crossed the line. I don't think players realize that when they do this crap on TAR, they are doing real damage to Justin's & TAR's brand. I have no doubt Johnny vs. Shane will be much better in that regard. I really hope Dennis & Mike watch this one & take some lessons on keeping it classy.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I don't think players realize that when they do this crap on TAR, they are doing real damage to Justin's & TAR's brand.QUOTE]

Agree.

The players are Independent Contractors whose pay checks will be based on performance and behavior in the future. In my view, if Dennis made threats he went overboard. Mike was afraid of Dennis.

When I think of the other top action players out there not many of them would act a fool like Earl, Dennis and Mike. They all went overboard. But, honestly, I enjoyed it. What can I say. But I would have liked to see more bantering between racks and less personal attacking and Dennis was out of control with the cue maintenance.

What ever happened to light, respectful sharking....kind of like Mike Sigel or Keith

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was Dennis drinking while he was playing?

When I watched the Day 2 set it was almost like some of the bickering was staged or something. It was obvious to me that when pool players don't have their "nuts" or cash on the line the atmosphere is a lot different.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A crucial part in the match was when Mike played a safe and left Dennis the very outside edge of the ball, very close to the rail, both players looked at the leave and Dennis got down and played a touchy safe, mike thought it was bad and then they got animated again, not nearly to the previous debockles.

Whether or not Dennis did or did not get a rail on that shot does not matter. What matters is that Mike did not call Ken to come watch the shot; therefore Ken cannot make a judgement call from the booth. In my opinion, I don't believe Dennis got a rail after contacting the 6 ball but it was Mike's responsibility to call Ken to watch the hit, especially after Dennis said that he didn't know if he could see the 6 ball and that it would be close. Unless you have a ref watching the entire match down near the table, the call goes to the shooter if a ref is not present to watch the shot.
I thought it was immature and petty for Mike to question a shot Dennis played, where Dennis played a billiard off the 3 ball onto the 5 ball and supposedly did not call it. Dennis called Ken to watch the shot so it should be pretty apparent as to what Dennis had in mind. Dennis should not have had to call that shot as it seemed pretty obvious to anyone who plays pool.
Otherwise I enjoyed the match and the tension involved in it. I didn't mind the verbal barbs the players exchanged as that shows how things can happen when playing for money, whether it's in a pool hall, bar, or private setting. However, the language got a little rough occasionally and the antics involving cues being thrown and the table being hit were childish. If Mike and Dennis wind up on the Mosconi Cup team together, I hope for the sake of the team and their country that they will put aside their differences and act professionally. I would definitely be interesting to see them play a doubles match together!

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Was Dennis drinking while he was playing?

When I watched the Day 2 set it was almost like some of the bickering was staged or something. It was obvious to me that when pool players don't have their "nuts" or cash on the line the atmosphere is a lot different.

I agree something just felt a little off. Started off pretty light hearted and got worse. Last time Dennis played on TAR he was absolutely ALL business. This time he was 98% business IMO which isn't going to beat Dechaine.

Ron Moore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If nothing else, this match generated ten times the discussion that a free stream of a tournament championship with arguably the two strongest players in the world did. Hopefully for TAR's sake, the sales were proportional to the chatter.