Magic Rack at Joss event

racefornine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone was there this weekend please give your opinion . I saw more packages of 5 or more than I could count . The finals true double elimination saw Phil B from across the pond winning 9-1 , 9-0 vs Shorty . I believe the owner of the room insisted on using them to help speed the pace of play .

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your going to use the magic racks in tourneys you need to play 10 ball or rack the 9 on the spot. That cuts the packages down tremendously.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If your going to use the magic racks in tourneys you need to play 10 ball or rack the 9 on the spot. That cuts the packages down tremendously.

I agree with the a bove.

i'll go one step further and say to move the 9 to the spot even when NOT using the MR. Johnnyt

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
or use a breakbox

Kimmo,

The Joss Northeast 9 Ball Tour already uses the "box" for breaking. Once you've trained yourself to break with the Magic Rack, a ball on the break is nearly automatic. I like it only because it is nearly impossible to drop the nine! At least my opponent has to run the rack. Not take an easy win.

Lyn

Last edited:

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yep, with the wing ball going 99.9% of the time its all about getting shape on the 1.

Dave in Boston

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I think the major issue with using those racks this weekend wasnt the fact they were using them it was the fact they were racking there own and patern racking and also a soft or semi soft break was aloud

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kimmo,

The Joss Northeast 9 Ball Tour already uses the "box" for breaking. Once you've trained yourself to break with the Magic Rack, a ball on the break is nearly automatic. I like it only because it is nearly impossible to drop the nine! At least my opponent has to run the rack. Not take an easy win.

Lyn

Someone fill me in please? Whats a Break box?

sydbarret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thing is just silly. It's a PITA to rack your own as it is. when I win I don't want to rack and when I lose I rack em up, fast too. but with this thing when I win a game not only do I have to rack, but I gotta take 2 min and struggle with this thing. then after the break you gotta peel the thing off at some point during the game and stick it on the rail or whatever.For me the whole thing is kind ridiculous but it is what it is.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I think the major issue with using those racks this weekend wasnt the fact they were using them it was the fact they were racking there own and patern racking and also a soft or semi soft break was aloud

Yep, with the wing ball going 99.9% of the time its all about getting shape on the 1.

I won't pass up an opportunity to promote a concept that is good for the game (IMO). Ten tournaments with no problems and great results tell the story.

No Conflict Rules
Tri-State Open Results

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

in the past i was against the mr, but it deminishes the luck involved on the break. Because you know a ball on the break is guaranteed you play position on the 1 ball and this diminished the luck on the break. Now is more who can runout and not who get lucky on obtaining a shot on the lowest numbered ball. I think with the MR we need tighter pockets for the pros.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Majic Rack (MBR) used in any tournaments

OK to use MBR playing 9-ball: Here's how to level the playing field.

Loser of the last game racks thereby no pattern racks.
Rack the 9 ball on the spot.
Break from the box.
AND, if you must, alternate breaks.

Using the MBR in 10-ball is great~! It keeps the 10 ball from
moving (unless bumped) and makes it more difficult to make
any ball on the break. If the above rules are also put in place, there
should never be any "conflict" regarding racking!

I.M.O.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The magic rack has a few flaws that good players can exploit, pattern rack and soft break.

MR is great for a good spread, and not having the 9 shoot towards a pocket. If it does not go in off a loose ball, it's a duck for an early combo.

To use the MR as it's meant to be used instead of just the "spirit" of it, it really should be done with the rules that you can't rack in a pattern, or your opponent racks, and no soft breaks where a few balls have to pass the string, 2 or 3 depending on the level of play expected.

OR even better I think, play 10 ball.

Dave in Boston

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it wasnt for the soft breaking and the patern racking I think the Magic Rack is great. But with both those things in play it was just to easy for some.

I mean people were running 4s and 5s and even more on sunday with out even having to change there shot patern.

It just kept looking like a repeat 1 in the top right, 2 in the bottom right, 3 in the side, the 4 our on the break and so on.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thing is just silly. It's a PITA to rack your own as it is. when I win I don't want to rack and when I lose I rack em up, fast too. but with this thing when I win a game not only do I have to rack, but I gotta take 2 min and struggle with this thing. then after the break you gotta peel the thing off at some point during the game and stick it on the rail or whatever.For me the whole thing is kind ridiculous but it is what it is.

Are you saying it takes you longer to rack with the MR than with a regular rack? You either play on a perfect table with perfectly round balls or you don't care if you have a tight rack. Takes 10-15 seconds at most to rack a MR diamond.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone fill me in please? Whats a Break box?

Its a big brown box from UPS. Its 12x12x12. Alot of tournies are using this nowadays, it stays on the table after the break, so thers likea road block, and you got to play shape around it and so on.

You should like it, keeps people from running out so often.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Breakbox

brownbox.png