Types of people you see at the Pool Hall

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Woe Is Me Guy - Sob stories out the ass from his first diaper rash to his wife leaving him to his dog dying to his underwear chafing to the $5 he just lost to you. Usually goes into great detail about how hard life has been to him while you are shooting.

Life has never treated this guy fair, even though he has never had to work, has a house and a car and that pool cue you wish you had.

Lose $100 to this guy, and he will tell you about the time he lost ten thousand.

Win $20 off of him and he quits you and talks about suicide.

LMFAO.... 10 characters

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
the guy who talks about how good he used to be before he quit for many years. im actually talking about myself but its a true story. at least thats how i remember it.haha

Oh yeah, this guy is EVERYWHERE. Call him the Has Been. "You shoulda seen me back then, I entered the local tournament and busted everyone week after week, they eventually banned me. I can't even hardly shoot anymore, I took 10 years off, you're not seeing my A game, this is like my Z game. My eyes just aren't there anymore, I can't see the edges of the balls, I used to bring in 500 bucks a night just hustling guys like you"

Who knows if any of it is true, but you notice in forty years of on-and-off playing, he still makes dumb choices on top of just missing balls. So you wonder if he really ever shot that well to begin with.

Might also be the 'sob story' guy mentioned elsewhere.

I'll add another:

"I Gotta Pay?!?!

He isn't to be confused with the cheapskate, he's not a nit and will gamble readily. And he'll order 50 bucks of booze too. But for some reason, paying his tab, especially the table time, makes him feel violated. No matter what the tally is, he ALWAYS acts shocked and bewildered at how expensive it is, and starts asking the counter girl a bunch of questions to get to the bottom of this mystery. "Isn't there a special today? So wait, that's per PERSON? Are you sure this check is mine? What's this MIXED DRNK $42.50 mean? I only ordered two pitchers and a few jack'n'cokes. So JUST the table time is thirty dollars?? What time did I get here? Are you sure it was 8? I thought I came in more like 9:30. Cuz my friend got here at ten or so and he came in not too long after me. Wait a minute, this adds up to 45, how are you coming up with 49? Oh, tax is that much? Mannnn. I dunno, this place is kind of a ripoff. I dunno if I can come back here."

He often borrows a few bucks, cries some more, then shows up next week to do it again.

Juice

Efren da king of pink!
Silver Member
Inspector Gadget

This guy has all the tools except for a lathe. He carries a 6x12 case, 2 break cues, jump cue, 6 shafts for his player, including 3 LD shafts. 4 types of chalk, scuffers, powder, etc...

That was good!

Cronie

A follower as opposed to a leader. one who gives respect as opposed to gets respect.

antonym: Hustla

I'm a hustla homie,
You a customer, cronie.
(Jay-Z)

Quit it man!

Nut Hugger

N. a socially disadvantaged person who must latch, or hug onto to the nuts of one of his friends to gain acceptance in social setting.

I wish __________________ wouldn't have been home schooled because he is such a Nut Hugger when he gets around Earl.

Milburn?

The Drunk

Comes in at exactly the same time every day (usually around 4-5pm), sits at the exact same spot at the bar, and the bar tender already has his drink waiting as he sits down. Nobody has ever seen the guy shoot darts, put money in the juke box, play a game of pool, hell even hit a ball. But you can count on one thing, he will be back tomorrow.

(Also, he never stays past 7-8pm. He doesnt have time for all these pool players and shit. Just the drink ma'am, just the drink)

Thats funny!

By the way I think this guy has seen me before. LOL

The Professional Railbird
This guy sweats every tournament, regardless of payouts and caliber of player. He will also sweat every match if something...anything is being wagered. He does not play...ever.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
All of these characters are important for a fun, successful pool hall.
I'm talking about a real pool hall, not a chain or a sports bar with a bunch of tables.
The railbird guys, temper tantrum guys, Lucasi Guys :smile:, "The Slut" (which I hope is not a guy), all of them are at least warm bodies, and add revenue for the room.
I hate going into a pool hall when nobody is there, although it's not a bad idea from a Practice Guy standpoint.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are gonna love this, and I've never heard this before in a pool room anywhere in the country, but the current age group is probably the cause. I'm shooting and this fairly attractive gal with dyed bright red/orange hair is walking by the table with a guy and says, ''I gotta go home and wash my ass''. boy did we all laugh after she left................how woulda ya mom liked it if you brought her/it home :)

hell, I took her home and then married her!! Gave her a Colemen Tent too

BrokeStroke

I need the wild 2.
Silver Member
Captain Obvious - The one guy (usually shoots in the APA as a 3 or 4) that tells you everything you already know, and he says it loudly. Used usually in conjunction with fouls, but once on a roll, can be used with everything.

You scratch in the side, he jumps up, grabs the cue ball, places it where he wants, looks at you dead in the face and says 'FOUL.'

You miscue and throw the shot wide. While passing you on his way to the table he says 'You miscued.' Usually followed by 'Chalk is free.'

....which brings us to...

Catchphrase Jackass - The guy that uses pool catchphrases more than any human being ever should.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Oh yeah, this guy is EVERYWHERE. Call him the Has Been. "You shoulda seen me back then, I entered the local tournament and busted everyone week after week, they eventually banned me. I can't even hardly shoot anymore, I took 10 years off, you're not seeing my A game, this is like my Z game. My eyes just aren't there anymore, I can't see the edges of the balls, I used to bring in 500 bucks a night just hustling guys like you"

Who knows if any of it is true, but you notice in forty years of on-and-off playing, he still makes dumb choices on top of just missing balls. So you wonder if he really ever shot that well to begin with.

That guy used to be on several of my league teams. He used to brag how when he was in his teens, an owner of a poolhall used to take him to Dallas on weekends to hustle. This guy always made poor pattern choices in our 8-ball league, NEVER broke-and-ran, wouldn't know what a safety shot looked like if it was sittin' on his shoulder, etc. He could only beat me about one out of every five games, and I don't play well enough to ever consider gambling.

Maniac

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
The Slut
We all know her. She has a rep for sleeping with everybody within the tri-state area that can make three balls in a row. Her own pool-playing ability is sorely lacking.

Anyone know where is she playing right now? I .. uhhh ... gotta shot to show her.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Don proved how tough he is many years ago..on D-day. ;)

Him, and boatloads of others!!!

Maniac (literally, boatloads)[/QUOTE]

No arguement there at all...tho actually Don never was in a landing craft.
God knows, we owe that generation so much...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Had an old friend, WW11 vet.
Don was all-forces boxing champ and an Olympic gymnast hopeful...
..but the war years kiboshed his Olympic plans.

He could disarm you with a smile...or a karate chop.
He took up golf after the war...played scratch within a year.
He could go through a deck of cards once...and if you asked what the
33rd card was, he'd tell you.
He learned to write a computer program in his early 70's.
He never lost a fight...in the ring or on the street.
He told me many helpful things about my pool game.

He was amazed at how long I could keep the tip on the cue-ball
on a power spin shot.
On his best day, he was an APA 6.......
..you think pool aint a tough game?

Sometimes a good player needs to be reminded that if you can run
a 5-pack under heat, or a 100 at straight pool.....
...there are some very capable people that are in awe of you.

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Might also be the 'sob story' guy mentioned elsewhere.

I'll add another:

"I Gotta Pay?!?!

He isn't to be confused with the cheapskate, he's not a nit and will gamble readily. And he'll order 50 bucks of booze too. But for some reason, paying his tab, especially the table time, makes him feel violated. No matter what the tally is, he ALWAYS acts shocked and bewildered at how expensive it is, and starts asking the counter girl a bunch of questions to get to the bottom of this mystery. "Isn't there a special today? So wait, that's per PERSON? Are you sure this check is mine? What's this MIXED DRNK $42.50 mean? I only ordered two pitchers and a few jack'n'cokes. So JUST the table time is thirty dollars?? What time did I get here? Are you sure it was 8? I thought I came in more like 9:30. Cuz my friend got here at ten or so and he came in not too long after me. Wait a minute, this adds up to 45, how are you coming up with 49? Oh, tax is that much? Mannnn. I dunno, this place is kind of a ripoff. I dunno if I can come back here."

He often borrows a few bucks, cries some more, then shows up next week to do it again.

well, thats not me exactly.:wink: but we all know we are amateurs with a goal to be more successful in this game. we just happen to let our personalities and insecurities get in the way. im just glad i never needed pool to earn a living or id be starving.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
hell, I took her home and then married her!! Gave her a Colemen Tent too

I thought I was gonna vist you this yr, but if I have to stay it that tent, count me out.
I was Jonzin ;)..........if ya Know what I mean L.J. :)

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The nit short stop

Plays ****ing strong. Comes in almost every day, never spends a dollar, never matches up with anyone above C speed. Will play and win the weekly tournament, here and 3-4 other pool halls around town.

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the people I see are older guys in their 40s with a few people in their 20s or 30s

My team captan on APA is 60 and he looks like something right out of the movies. He is in a nice suit every time and wears a gambler hat every time he comes to shoot. It's a little over top.