Shuff clearly not ready

Jesters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't to just slam Brandon, I think we can only inagine the pressure out there and we all know he is a talented player. He just was thrown to the lions a little here with this enviroment at York Hall. He has won some tounaments but nothing really big in front of the cameras with an audience like this. Again this is very hard but he needs some more experience and maybe he will get it here with the Mosconi Cup but this is or should not be on the job training. He got VERY lucky in his team match as he had left it wide open and then Johnny Archer had to save him in the doubles match and then obviously outclassed in the singles against Appleton. Hopefully he can get his self together for the next 3 days and perform like we know he can. The exposure that Bigtruck gives him only because they are friends and that isn't the type of exposure that would get him ready for this. Before someone says he is already used to the cameras. GO Team USA

Jesters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, also putting him up against Appleton was a crazy decision. I see that in one way it would have boosted his confidence to no end if he had won but the chances were against him and I think all it did was reaffirm to not only some of us but also to him that he isn't ready. Bad coaching decision in my opinion on the part of CJ.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I thought he did very well Against Darren. Where else is a player going to get this type of exposure other than the Mosconi Cup.

Many other venues but they pale considerably against the Cup.

He'll get some pep talks from the experienced players and there are 3 days left. We will see by then. Day one is too soon to make an accurate judgement.
He will probably loosen up and be ok from here on in. He will take a few hits and hand a few out too.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Oh, also putting him up against Appleton was a crazy decision. I see that in one way it would have boosted his confidence to no end if he had won but the chances were against him and I think all it did was reaffirm to not only some of us but also to him that he isn't ready. Bad coaching decision in my opinion on the part of CJ.

Not that crazy, overall, Appleton's got a losing record in Mosconi Cup (something like 9-12)...he doesn't like those short races and can be had if someone jumps out ahead of him. I think Brandon did great for his first time there. He looked a lot less nervous than Hatch did...I don't think he likes a shot clock, though. His timing in PSR was off, he was taking too long in the wrong parts. I think he looked pretty damn strong. It's only Day 1...we're still in the lead, SVB and Archer look unbeatable, so let's see. I think CJ was smart to throw Brandon up there twice...now he's lost his York Hall virginity and can settle down!;)

sylo

Banned
I didn't think it was a wise decision taking him in the first place but maybe he put it together starting day 2 and play lights out. This years European team looks very beatable and i think they could have a 2nd team stronger than the team playing there now.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I totally disagree. How does one match bring you to your verdict? You odiously don't know Brandon nor do you understand the finer elements of an overall strategy. And Brandon had a very good run out during the match. The Sr players can't play every match. And either way win or lose for Brandon, he had to get that under his belt and will be better for it regardless of the outcome. A loss by Brandon gives Sr players a reason to dig down even further. A win by Brandon sends a message. I look for Brandon to have a great Cup.

And trust me, CJ is going to get the best out of this team..

CJ is mind f-ing the shite out of the World right now...:eek:

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the rules on throwing players at the Mosconi cup? I guess you have to play each person a max/min number of times. Appleton is probably the strongest player they have so from a strategic standpoint if we were going to chalk it up as a loss that is one less time they can throw appleton.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I don't think he played poorly. Had he had an open shot off a couple breaks against Daz, things might have been different. I don't recall him dogging it much at all. He did rush a couple shots, but I'm confident this talented young man can adjust to that. Daz didn't give him squat to work with and played triple strong.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like CJ's coaching decision to put Brandon up early and against Darren. It not only gets his feet wet early, but it frees up the senior players for some of the critical matches down the line. Furthermore, although Sho'Nuff indeed had a tough day I think he'll be alright. Some reflection on today's experience, combined with a good night's sleep and a pep talk from CJ and Johnny can do wonders!

GO Team USA!!!!

sylo

Banned
i am sure he will getting a talking too about shot selection and playing smart. That one hell mary cut he did against Daz and lucked out a safety made me go, WTF?

Jesters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally disagree. How does one match bring you to your verdict? You odiously don't know Brandon nor do you understand the finer elements of an overall strategy. And Brandon had a very good run out during the match. The Sr players can't play every match. And either way win or lose for Brandon, he had to get that under his belt and will be better for it regardless of the outcome. A loss by Brandon gives Sr players a reason to dig down even further. A win by Brandon sends a message. I look for Brandon to have a great Cup.

And trust me, CJ is going to get the best out of this team..

CJ is mind f-ing the shite out of the World right now...:eek:
I hope that Brandon does come with it tomorrow lets face it we have no other hope at this point. If he playes the same over the next 2 days his confidence is going under. Also I know its only day one and there is alot of time yet. I didn't base my post on just one game I based it on 3 games. Team play, doubles and the singles.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
What are the rules on throwing players at the Mosconi cup? I guess you have to play each person a max/min number of times. Appleton is probably the strongest player they have so from a strategic standpoint if we were going to chalk it up as a loss that is one less time they can throw appleton.

That was my first thought too. Matchroom Sports has the schedule and rules here: http://www.matchroompool.com/mosconi-cup/article/ums6hlszbjj01d91hk05n3t7a/title/mosconi-cup-format-and-schedule

although the "player" rules are given as part of the schedule...such as, Match 9 Singles match (Cannot be the same player as Matches 3, 5 and 7). It looks like everybody must play at least one singles match.

I think Shuff is doing fine. Of course, I'd do better but I'm busy this week with the Holidays coming up and everything.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
During the interview with JH, Brandon said that he was used to the pressure but not the crowd.

He both looked and sounded confident in his ability. Remember that Mike D wasn't all that confident last year.

In other words, he wasn't freaked out. I think you'll see quite an improvement and change on day two.

Lets wait and see.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
This isn't to just slam Brandon, I think we can only inagine the pressure out there and we all know he is a talented player. He just was thrown to the lions a little here with this enviroment at York Hall. He has won some tounaments but nothing really big in front of the cameras with an audience like this. Again this is very hard but he needs some more experience and maybe he will get it here with the Mosconi Cup but this is or should not be on the job training. He got VERY lucky in his team match as he had left it wide open and then Johnny Archer had to save him in the doubles match and then obviously outclassed in the singles against Appleton. Hopefully he can get his self together for the next 3 days and perform like we know he can. The exposure that Bigtruck gives him only because they are friends and that isn't the type of exposure that would get him ready for this. Before someone says he is already used to the cameras. GO Team USA

Total agree

Yes he has won the 9 ball State Championship 2 years in a row and probably wouldv'e won it for a 3rd if there wasn't a conflicting tourney.

Unless you play in York Hall you will never know this crowd EVER...

Ive said the same about his gain here in London

Should not be job training?? That was just plain retarded :poke:

Yes and no... This is a team effort so they both are playing in tandem. You cover each others butts but sure.. maybe Brandon was a little light in position and execution but you don't miss from your PC im sure...

Darren is the current 9 ball world champion and Shuff tallied two games against him. How did MD do?? Oh yeah thats right shot maybe 4 times at best and lost 5-0. I guess he is out classed aswell...

This last bit im at lost for words. Its almost like you have a beef with Big Truck!! What the hell does Ray have to do with Shuff and him being there?? You sir really need to evaluate yourself and mayeb think before you type. SO much hate!!! :nono:

Overall Shuff had game day butterflies and why shouldn't he?? He is living his dream!!! How many of you can be where you dreamed you could be?? Not many of you. He needs to work his PSR into the shot clock (which he is not use to) to allow him to play better. I have faith in Shuff and the rest of the team that they will do well and pull this off!! Keep that in mind... This is a TEAM EFFORT!!! Every-bodies play affects the whole team. Day one is over and now that it is he knows what to expect and I really think you will see a different player from here on out!!

Good luck to Brandon and the rest of the team!! They all deserve to be there and they all will play there hearts out.

USA!!!!!! :thumbup2:

Last edited:

Playin4Dinner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
figured this thread would be up the moment brandon missed a hanger....

I didn't get home on time to catch the match so I can't comment on his play...

But I can't think of a better spot for CJ to break brandon in....

We have to get to 11 to take down the cup right???

Is there a better spot to get his feet wet than leading 3-1 in the final match of day 1????

Let's try uniting and backing our squad that has been put together....

We have the rest of the year to arm chair quarterback....

Bring home the cup boyz...

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I wouldn't count Brandon out just yet. He's one heck of a competitor and it isn't like anyone else would steam roll over Darren, he has been on a roll this year.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think CJ did the right thing pitting Shuff against Team Europe's top player, Appleton. If Shuff had pulled off a win then it would've messed with Team Europe's morale early on... and if Shuff lost, which he did, at least he got the great opportunity to get his feet wet at Mosconi Cup.

Jpowell7575

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're really counting out Brandon after he won a match and helped in the team win and then lost to one of the best players in the WORLD???

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you know that cj put out Brandon first, and they matched Darren to him, or they matches are put out blindly. He played good against one the best best players in the world. You should be complaining about Dechaine, now that was bad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I hope you guys know that its not always on CJ to make player choices. If they put up Shuff im sure that the other captain chose to put up Darren. It all depends who chooses first. So in this case I think that Darren was picked to play against Shuff