Is it the cloth or the install?

Dartman

Silver Member
Here's some pics sent to me of a recent recover (not by me) using ProForm worsted cloth. The table owner is insisting the cloth is defective. I tried to explain to him on the phone it was a bad install when he described the cloth as "growing" and wrinkling even before he sent me these pics. He said his installer used staples and "tacks".

What do you think?

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here's some pics sent to me of a recent recover (not by me) using ProForm worsted cloth. The table owner is insisting the cloth is defective. I tried to explain to him on the phone it was a bad install when he described the cloth as "growing" and wrinkling even before he sent me these pics. He said his installer used staples and "tacks".

What do you think?

picture.php

picture.php

Shit work, plain and simple!

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
you are just being too nice there Glen... the installer should have paid the customer to train on his table...

Xnotedgeanymore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am an automotive technician and not a table mechanic, so take this for whatever it is worth..

I have only replaced the cloth on two tables, but even the first one came out WAY better than this! Despite my lack of experience, I am comfortable saying the cloth is probably not the problem. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the last installer left enough slack in the cloth for a competent table mechanic to properly install it...

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Pro form cloth

I have installed the proform cloth on all sizes of pool tables with never a cut that grows after install...I believe you are correct rick in saying the cloth is not the problem..
-
Rob.M

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this belongs in the hackwork section .....did the guy even try to stretch the cloth or did he just lay it gently like a table cloth and install the rails ....

this has to be a joke.

Dartman

Silver Member
I agree it's hackwork but having trouble getting the customer that purchased the cloth on board with the fact that the cloth is not the problem. Appears to me that whoever installed it is not willing to stand behind their work - and at a minimum, pull the cloth and reinstall it. Of course there's no assurance they wouldn't hack it up again. :rolleyes:

To that end I gave the customer the number to Robin at The Table Pro's who I'm sure everyone here would agree that he would do a proper fix.

Dartman

Silver Member
Rails aside, my guess is the slate liners on that old BBC are probably a battlefield and not holding the staples.

TheTablePro

Silver Member
Still haven't heard from the gentleman Rick. If he calls, I'll be happy to go see him. The work just looks like there was no effort to stretch it at all!

Robin

Dartman

Silver Member
Still haven't heard from the gentleman Rick. If he calls, I'll be happy to go see him. The work just looks like there was no effort to stretch it at all!
Robin

... or it was stretched and the staples didn't hold. It is an old BBC table based on the pics and probably has bombed out slate liners and subrails. Still, whoever did the install should have addressed that issue if it was the case. No way to know at my end. He's in Lewisville so in your ballpark if he chooses to call you.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
When have you seen a wool sweater grow from a small to a double XX . Does this mean the table is shrinking or shy from the cold weather..maybe the installer didn't want to be in the hack section from using to many staples, maybe they had only 50 1inch long staples left. Did the tack strip fail.

Craig

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the install.
When installing felt (cloth) it's important to double stretch the material. You stretch it off the table and then again when you install it.

You aren't making a bed for a drunken one-night-stand. That's what this install looks like.

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... or it was stretched and the staples didn't hold. It is an old BBC table based on the pics and probably has bombed out slate liners and subrails. Still, whoever did the install should have addressed that issue if it was the case. No way to know at my end. He's in Lewisville so in your ballpark if he chooses to call you.

Any installer worth a damn would have known to use adhesive in the pockets.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
is that table outside? Ive seen tables with loosely pulled cloth on tables outdoor become extremely loose during a rain or with high moisture levels. Your buyer needs to know that most mechanics are afraid of worsted wools and they pull them loose to prevent stretch marks. Maybe the staples have come loose, hard to tell without being there. My quess would be installer and not the cloth.

Dartman

Silver Member
No Donny. He said it was inside with a wood stove supplying heat so humidity is more then likely Not the issue.