Who Has Played CJ??

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds great to me, Mr. CJ. Another good effort on your part to help pool players, and pool halls around the the country. Helping pool halls to be able to stay open and make a profit, Priceless!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Ya maybe he can do a pool hall version of Hells Kitchen

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
This rewards me more than trying to beat another pool player out his money

Will this be TOC? Touch Of Capitalism?

Yes, I do like capitalism and I really like compensation packages structured on performance. If we don't increase a pool room/bar's gross sales 20% AND reduce your cost of sales by 15% (guaranteeing more profit) we don't want anything. I hate to hear about pool rooms going out of business when there's ways to stimulate their business model and help get Pro pool in the public eye at the same time.

I am also willing to offer that deal in pool instruction as well. If we don't raise someone's playing ability (judged by ball running averages) by 20% in three days the same thing applies. Performance is what drives true capitalism and it's also very rewarding when you're successful.

The players I've been working with personally have raised their levels by one and sometimes two levels in the first month. This rewards me more than trying to beat another pool player out his (or his backer's) money. It's already tough enough without someone like me coming in to try to scrape something off the bottom of the "cash barrel".

The one thing "older age" has done for me is enable me to appreciate Win/Win relationships with other people. Gambling at pool, especially now adays seems cannibalistic. I want to see professional players make MORE money, not less. To do this it's best to be on the same team, at least until we have to play one another on the pool table.

thegameistheteacher@gmail.com

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will this be TOC? Touch Of Capitalism?

What's wrong with capitalism? I do have an issue with central banks and corporate greed, but nothing wrong with a fella making a buck through insight and hard work.

FWIW all of the rooms in my area that failed to adapt a nightclub model to increase revenue have closed. Food, drink, and sports on big screen TVs are where the profits are. The busiest rooms here have live entertainment in a separate room on the weekends. It surely was expensive to remodel for that, but the parking lots are full on Friday and Saturday nights.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
this will lead to a TV show at some point -We are already at the intermediate stages

I guess I misunderstood, sounded like a challenge to me. I'm still surprised nobody wants to play you...or do they? Your poolroom venture sounds interesting, like it could help lots of struggling rooms, if it's affordable.

Yes, it will certainly be affordable. I have a group that has been urging me to open up another 'CJ's Billiard Palace', owning/operating takes a lot of time and my skill set is better for consulting and yes, this will lead to a TV show at some point. We are already at the intermediate stages, we just need to start working with some pool rooms, probably in Texas to start.

Going back to gambling at pool would be regressing a bit. When I was running both my clubs at the same time my "break even" was $120,000 a week (we did over 8 Million in gross sales) and it was extremely challenging. Now that's gambling, and it taught me things that I could have never learned any other way. Gambling (our own money) has a tenancy to MAKE us learn quickly. ;) "The Bottom Line is the Teacher"

Last edited:

Banks

Banned
What's wrong with capitalism? I do have an issue with central banks and corporate greed, but nothing wrong with a fella making a buck through insight and hard work.

FWIW all of the rooms in my area that failed to adapt a nightclub model to increase revenue have closed. Food, drink, and sports on big screen TVs are where the profits are. The busiest rooms here have live entertainment in a separate room on the weekends. It surely was expensive to remodel for that, but the parking lots are full on Friday and Saturday nights.

Not much wrong with capitalism, though you did follow it up with examples of what you think is wrong with it. ;) Pure capitalism exists without the outside interference to 'stabilize' markets and 'save' economies(or companies in this case). 'Corporate greed' isn't possible without the willing participants - those that work for them and those that do business with them. It's like the South Park 'Walmart' episode.

The rooms around here that are doing well are those that host leagues. Otherwise it's like having a card room with no schedule, just empty tables sitting around waiting for people to sit at them and play poker with themselves, their friends or random strangers that straggle in.

I was just poking a little fun at CJ with the TO(X) thing. He's a big boy, he knows what he's doing and can roll with it just as well as anyone. I was looking at a possible bar acquisition, but not quite sure if all of the pieces are even around to fall into place for that. Anybody got an extra $50k laying around? :D

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Yes, I do like capitalism and I really like compensation packages structured on performance. If we don't increase a pool room/bar's gross sales 20% AND reduce your cost of sales by 15% (guaranteeing more profit) we don't want anything. I hate to hear about pool rooms going out of business when there's ways to stimulate their business model and help get Pro pool in the public eye at the same time.

I am also willing to offer that deal in pool instruction as well. If we don't raise someone's playing ability (judged by ball running averages) by 20% in three days the same thing applies. Performance is what drives true capitalism and it's also very rewarding when you're successful.

The players I've been working with personally have raised their levels by one and sometimes two levels in the first month. This rewards me more than trying to beat another pool player out his (or his backer's) money. It's already tough enough without someone like me coming in to try to scrape something off the bottom of the "cash barrel".

The one thing "older age" has done for me is enable me to appreciate Win/Win relationships with other people. Gambling at pool, especially now adays seems cannibalistic. I want to see professional players make MORE money, not less. To do this it's best to be on the same team, at least until we have to play one another on the pool table.

thegameistheteacher@gmail.com

Hi CJ,

That all sounds great. Especially the part about the win/win for pool players. Playing for money put up by those that also 'win', is a win/win/win situation. Nobody loses. I sincerely hope you can get it to happen.

I'm heading out tommorrow with a couple of older non LD shafts for another session with TOI. I'll let you know if I 'feel' that it makes a difference than with the LDs.

I watched the link of Willie Mosconi yesterday & I 'real eyesed' that he shot quite a few shots with a stroke very similiar to yours, holding the cue 'short' & hitting it with a bit of the 'reverse', hammer wrist action. It was interesting to watch with a 'different eye'.

Best Regards & Wishes,

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Awareness and Experience are the Teacher".

Yes, it's a mistake not to blend the best aspects of a billiard club, bar and night club together if possible. Depending on laws for the area it's very realistic to make more on a Friday night than the rest of your week put together. There's lot's of "moves" in that business that are overlooked or "miss" understood. It's just like playing pool, there's always a shot, the technique comes with discernment. "Awareness and Experience are the Teacher".

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was I with sAJ? I don't remember that, just vaguely remember that trip, I think it was the one I got "jarred" at one of the bars there.

Kinard did beat me in his pool room in 84 (I was 18)....I hocked a Balabushka AND a Zamboti for $800. with the intentions of coming back in two weeks. I was in St. Louis getting ready to come down to Memphis and they got hit with a snow storm. Foolishly I decided to write of the cues and now they'r'e probably worth quite a bit.....the "teenage years" sometimes aren't the smartest ones. ;)

i had the pleasure of getting to know kinard about 8 years ago when i started visiting his pool room. i played him a few times and he still played pretty sporty at his old age.

speakinf of jaring... about 10 years ago i had that happen to me at a bar here in memphis. i was having one of those "good nights". i kept the table from the time i got there. about 4 hours later i got dizzy and sick in the middle of the match. i quit right in the middle of making a shot and started staggering towards the door. a regular who was playing who i was friendly with was playing on the table next to me and noticed how i was acting and followed me out.

i was trying to unlike my truck and he took my keys. he made me sit down and went back inside to get this girl who he knew i went out with from time to time . she took me home. i do not remember anything that happened from the moment i left the table. lucky i had people looking out for me. some one had to have spiked my beer which was sitting on the shelf next to where i was playing. only had 2 1/2 beers up till that time.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
take this warning seriously and just be aware of this potential danger when drinking

i had the pleasure of getting to know kinard about 8 years ago when i started visiting his pool room. i played him a few times and he still played pretty sporty at his old age.

speakinf of jaring... about 10 years ago i had that happen to me at a bar here in memphis. i was having one of those "good nights". i kept the table from the time i got there. about 4 hours later i got dizzy and sick in the middle of the match. i quit right in the middle of making a shot and started staggering towards the door. a regular who was playing who i was friendly with was playing on the table next to me and noticed how i was acting and followed me out.

i was trying to unlike my truck and he took my keys. he made me sit down and went back inside to get this girl who he knew i went out with from time to time . she took me home. i do not remember anything that happened from the moment i left the table. lucky i had people looking out for me. some one had to have spiked my beer which was sitting on the shelf next to where i was playing. only had 2 1/2 beers up till that time.

That's exactly what happens and I think players need to be more aware of the symptoms, especially in these "trying" times.

Using any of these "jarrs" can be very dangerous and if mixed with drugs or alcohol can be potentially dangerous. I've had the opportunity to be around a lot of "tricks of the trade" and this one is the Darkest of all. I don't condone this practice and am trying to make players aware of it because it's not "preached" in these days like it was in mine.

If you're gambling for serious money DO NOT leave your drink unattended. This also goes for women that frequent bars/pool rooms, We even put signs in the women's bathroom to be proactive warning women to not leave drinks unattended. This really happens regularly, so please take this warning seriously and just be aware of this potential danger when drinking in public places. "Awareness is the Teacher'

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I advise using a consistent grip pressure and trying the motion of hammering a nail

Hi CJ,

That all sounds great. Especially the part about the win/win for pool players. Playing for money put up by those that also 'win', is a win/win/win situation. Nobody loses. I sincerely hope you can get it to happen.

I'm heading out tommorrow with a couple of older non LD shafts for another session with TOI. I'll let you know if I 'feel' that it makes a difference than with the LDs.

I watched the link of Willie Mosconi yesterday & I 'real eyesed' that he shot quite a few shots with a stroke very similiar to yours, holding the cue 'short' & hitting it with a bit of the 'reverse' hammer wrist action. It was interesting to watch with a 'different eye'.

Best Regards & Wishes,

I don't condone a "reverse hammer" wrist action, I recommend a wrist action like using a hammer the conventional way. As a matter of fact I've had recent letter from a player thanking me for straightening him out on this (I'll include the letter if he gives me permission). The wrist releases (uncocks) down (but not enough to be obvious) and the butt of the cue gets CLOSER to the elbow after contact, not further away.

I suggest to actually hammer nails and hold the cue the same way. This isn't for everyone, Willie recommends holding the cue very loosely, if I did that I would not be able to run a rack, no matter where you put them. ;)

Different stokes for different folks, I advise using a consistent grip pressure and using the motion of hammering a nail. It may not be for you, however, if it is, it will do wonders for your pool game.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I saw Earl play Landon Shuffett on a tight 5x10 table and it wasn't pretty. IMO Earl is not one of the game's elite players anymore on any table. He's still good but there are quite a few players I would take over him. He had an opportunity to play in the Bigfoot Challenge at DCC and declined. Enough said.

I don't know Jay. I watched him play on the 10ft last week and if his isn't an elite player then I have to reevaluate what that means. Despite throwing his usual tantrums he was running out racks like water and making shots that most mortals wouldn't dream of.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know Jay. I watched him play on the 10ft last week and if his isn't an elite player then I have to reevaluate what that means. Despite throwing his usual tantrums he was running out racks like water and making shots that most mortals wouldn't dream of.

No doubt about it! If he is comfortable nobody has to like it. He plays that 10 footer at Steinway pretty damn good. I'd bet on him against most anyone.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks John for the update. I guess he runs hot and cold. IMO the truly great players have three speeds; Good, Better and Best. I never saw Buddy, Rempe, Sigel or Varner have an "off" day in their prime. Earl either for that matter. But his prime years are behind him imo.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
the "old fashioned" model that I was taught as a child selling sno cones for 50cents

Not making fun of CJ in this, but that is pretty funny :smile:

That is funny, I'll take it as humorous, yet complementary to the TOI. :groucho:

There's few behaviors more "American" than exchanging a product or service for a fair compensation, that's the "heart and soul" of Capitalism. imho

Let's not dwell on what's happened to the model {of capitalism}, I dislike the corruption part as much as anyone else. I value the "old fashioned" model that I was taught as a child selling sno cones for 50 cents a pop. :thumbup:
th

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it's a mistake not to blend the best aspects of a billiard club, bar and night club together if possible.

Except you can leave out the billiards and still make the same amount of money, maybe more. :cool:

You really have to love the game to own and operate a pool room. The other stuff you are talking about just makes it possible to keep the doors open. I know you love pool, so I wish you well in your business endeavors. I think you have the correct model, but as you say, it's a gamble. Good luck with it. :)

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How regularly?

It happens a lot more than you would think.

Speaking of spiking women's drinks. Never run across it with pool players. I come from the bar business and actually caught two guys over the years doing that. Did not end up pretty for either of them either. Both cases the bouncers educated them repeatedly on the error of their ways out the back door.

Sadly, women do need to be careful, even in this day and age.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I don't condone a "reverse hammer" wrist action, I recommend a wrist action like using a hammer the conventional way. ...The wrist releases (uncocks) down (but not enough to be obvious) and the butt of the cue gets CLOSER to the elbow after contact, not further away.

CJ,

Thanks for clarifying my wording.

By 'reverse', I meant opposite what is 'normal' for most people, not a 'reverse hammer action'. I went back & put in the comma.

Anyway, I noticed Mr. Mosconi doing it several times on that video.

I found that interesting since the first I had heard of it was on here from you.

All the Best,

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Thanks John for the update. I guess he runs hot and cold. IMO the truly great players have three speeds; Good, Better and Best. I never saw Buddy, Rempe, Sigel or Varner have an "off" day in their prime. Earl either for that matter. But his prime years are behind him imo.

What I saw is that if he is on then I don't see any weakness in his game compared to any other top player orcullo on down. But Earl seems to spot all other players several inner demons that he openly quarrels with. And conversely he probably costs the other players games when they have to fade those quarrels.

If he would be be quiet and play I think he would win more majors.