Examples of Bad Sportsmanship?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Bob Jewett knows the guy if I told him his name, but I don't think he was there. ...
I did miss seeing the pocket removal. Which room was it in?

A classic story: Robert Cannefax was a top billiard player in the 1920s. He had a wooden leg, and he would startle on-lookers by taking his pocket knife and stabbing it into his leg. But that's not the unsportsmanlike part. He was supposed to play a match with Willie Hoppe (the champ at the time) and he didn't like the cloth which was slow for his taste. Hoppe refused to have the cloth changed. Cannefax took out his knife and slit the cloth down the middle. He never played a pro match again and died three years later. See http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/facts.html

(Cannefax was among the first to publish diagrams of the corner-5 diamond system.)

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team that Usually wins Championship every year , come in 2ed , we won , and not even 1 of there team members shows up at Banquit to claim 2ed place trophy . I thought that was unsportman and poor loosers . Jim

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Team that Usually wins Championship every year , come in 2ed , we won , and not even 1 of there team members shows up at Banquit to claim 2ed place trophy . I thought that was unsportman and poor loosers . Jim

Yes, I agree. I hope that at least one of them reads this post and knows who you are referring to. :p

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Jim is also a poor sportsman.

He meets me in Vegas one year. We play pool most of the afternoon and he forced me to play with each and every one of those custom cues that he got from the Russian custom cue maker.

What a guy eh?

Actually, it was a serious pleasure to even see and hold those Russian customs, let alone play with them. They are real gems, those are.

I won a few games, I think Jim was bagging it a bit so I wouldn't feel so bad.

Last edited:

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Sucker Punched!

Howdy Folks,

Let's hear some stories about bad sportsmanship.

Here's one of mine:

I was playing in a small doubles 8 Ball league. Basically, our strategy was to setup balls (and block pockets) for the first several turns. We generally ended up blocking four pockets, and then run the balls out to win the game. The match was to 7 and we won 6 of them.

On dropping the final ball, I reached out to pat an opponent on the back intending to utter some words of "You'll do better next time." You can imagine my surprise when he whips around and slugs me.

Since I was about 12 inches taller than he was, he only managed to land a solid punch on my shoulder. He was lunging at me for more when his buddy got a solid grab on him.

The funny thing - I saw him about a year later and he acted like nothing had happened and was a friendly as you please. Go figure.

I played this Indian poolplayer back in the 80's several times at his home town, always won 4 -$600 from him, well one night he happen to come to my home town several hundred miles from his.

Well he didn't recognize me and we were playing $50 8-Ball, I was up $200 and breaking and he was standing behind me, I happen to hit him in his balls while breaking, he then sucker punched me and knocked me to the floor.

I had about 5 guy's wanting to beat his $SS inclucing me , but I knew I could win some decent $ from him, so I apologized and said you wanta bet $100 agame, he said OK, I ran a 5 pack of 8-Ball on him and he quit, I've never seen him since, but I wanted his money especially since he had sucker punched me, and I got it!:cool:

David Harcrow

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did miss seeing the pocket removal. Which room was it in?

I forget the name of the room, but it was in the East bay west of 680 I think in Fremont. it was the room many of us went to after the original California Billiards closed and before Edgie's opened if that helps. I sent you a PM of who it was.

Dave

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite bad sportsmanship story was when two friends of mine were playing 9-ball many years ago for some jelly on a phony table w/drop pockets. Phony in the way that if an object ball was 1-1 1/2 diamonds away from a corner pocket near the rail, and you had to hit it with speed to draw back the length of the table for example, the ball would most often rattle out.

It was a close set and one of the guys was very close to getting out when he got that phony rattled pocket thing. He ended up losing the set. He was so angry that he started ripping out the drop pockets one at a time and was successful ripping out maybe 3 of them and tossing them against the wall. He left in a huff only to return a few moments later because he forgot his cue. He packed up his cue, ripped out another pocket and left.

Bob Jewett knows the guy if I told him his name, but I don't think he was there.

I have fallen victim to these tables as well losing to someone I spot the 7-ball and never lost, but playing on that equipment I lost, and lost plenty so I understand his rage. But it doesn't make it any less funny; it was hilarious to all but the room owner and the guy who lost.

Dave

I'm curious what the room owner did.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the guy that pissed in all 4 corner pockets on that diamond barbox after getting beat by a girl was the worst case of poor sportsmanship I ever heard of.

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago at a team tourney in Peoria, IL, a match was going on between a Quad Cities team and a Chicago area team. There were vendors booths setup and one of the Chicago players had a booth because he made and sold videos. Videos about the star pattern and others. He was also an advanced level BCA instructor. During the match, he went back to his booth which was near a window. He began reflecting the sun on the table and opposing player. He was caught and verbally called out loudly by another opposing player so everyone could hear. He looked like a kid with his hand in cookie jar and didn't say a word. Tourney director said something to him but actually didn't see the incident, so no penalty. I was shocked enough to send a letter to one of the pool magazines describing the incident and that I would like to have it published for everyone to see. That didn't happen since the guy had a full page ad every month. Letter was forwarded to BCA and John Lewis called me personally and said the guy would get a letter about his conduct since he was a BCA instructor.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm curious what the room owner did.

Good question, not sure if the owner was there at the time, but no matter, the guy never played in that room again. I'm not sure if he was barred or it was his own decision.

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct, that was bad sportsmanship. It wasn't, however, a good reaction to the bad sportsmanship for him to hit you.

Unless you are good friends with someone, you don't pat them on the shoulder. Telling them that they will do better next time is a very condescending remark.

dld

I actually concur with this; don't assume that patting someone on the back is a good idea when they had just lost. :cool:

tommyg0080

Registered
Some examples I've run into...

-standing over the pocket I'm shooting into (especially when on the 8 ball)

-in 8 ball, removing the pocket markers from the table before the game in hope that I'll forget to mark pocket when shooting the 8 ball

-breaking down their cue before the game is over

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
S ...
-breaking down their cue before the game is over
This is loss of game by several rule sets. When they start that you should walk over and offer a handshake to the loser -- be sure not to actually shoot the shot.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the worst that happened to me was last summer in the play-offs. our 3 was against their 4 and it was real close one game to win each our 3 had stopped for verification of rules then later called a time out well as soon as the time out was called the other team started arguing that what was the verification of rules was a time out and couldn't have another and as a result we lost.

Asking about a rule should never be called as a time out, and on a shot clock I think the clock would be stopped even if a pro player had to ask the ref a question.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
The worst I have seen is one that I committed when I was a very young and inexperienced pool player and did not understand what sportsmanship was. Was playing against a decent player in 8 ball league and I broke and I had run down to just one ball and the eight ball. I had left myself absolutely no shape. I figured I was likely to foul regardless of what I did so I just shot my object ball straight into the pocket. I now understand what made that a poor decision and my team still gives me hell for it.

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is loss of game by several rule sets. When they start that you should walk over and offer a handshake to the loser -- be sure not to actually shoot the shot.

Unless you are playing TAP and the LO has sold cues to the person who broke their cue down and they are friends.

Tis actually happened to me once. Amazing stuff.

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
i wasn't going to post this because it involves my own team mate but it's been grinding on me alot lately. i know, i know league pool, it's all i am playing lately so you'll just have to get past that part. it can however relate to anyone with you watching you play for a tournament or gambling.
the problem i am having is i have a guy on one of my teams that likes to talk shit. and the drunker he gets, the more he talks. normally not a problem for me when he's playing. we're all older and any problem he creates for himself is his problem. however when he does it while i am playing it does two things, it annoys the person i am playing and the verbal back and forth begins to distract me and i play worse.
it's an apa team. it's 8 ball and i am a 6. i am the highest skill level we have and usually get the 7's and 6's from the other teams so they can all play a little bit. the last thing i want is to give someone extra fuel to want to beat me. the matches are usually even enough. then his mouth gets going. the sharking gets worse and worse.
i mean look, if someone starts shit with me, so be it. i run my mouth in real life like i run it here:D i am dog shit as a pool player but fairly good at going back and forth verbally and tend to bear down and focus more when someone i am playing gives me a reason. but this is different. it's not my opponent, it's my team mate. i have asked him to stop but he just keeps it going. the kicker to me is the other teams look at me like i am the jackass. it's poor sportsmanship on his part and i am taking most of the heat, on and off the table.
i really wish people would stfu and play pool.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Ya know what you have to do cowboy. If you have asked him not to do it and he doesn't listen, there isn't a spot on the team for him next season.