Shane Van Boening aiming system -WOW!!

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently paid ($14.95) to download the Shane Van Boeing aiming video from
theactionreport.com (the TAR) website.

Shane, the number one player in the U.S., presents what I would call an all new approach to aiming. It's a system he invented. No ghost ball, no CTE, no fractional ball, your OB target is always the same and easy to see.

I've been trying it out for several days. WOW!!

Has anyone else tried it??

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Roger Griffis is the first one to show me this system,

I recently paid ($14.95) to download the Shane Van Boeing aiming video from
theactionreport.com (the TAR) website.

Shane, the number one player in the U.S., presents what I would call an all new approach to aiming. It's a system he invented. No ghost ball, no CTE, no fractional ball, your OB target is always the same and easy to see.

I've been trying it out for several days. WOW!!

Has anyone else tried it??

He uses the Inside part of his shaft line....but just a "Touch"

On long shots he also "aims" at the shadow of the object ball with the center of his TIP. These are just different ways of aligning the visual perception of the shot. Roger Griffis is the first one to show me this system, I choose to use the Inside of the cue ball instead, it's very similar in concept and practice. 'The Game is the Teacher'

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input C.J. I know that you are one of the great player of the game, but the video is (33 min) long and there is absolutely nothing about shadows mentioned. Without giving the plot away, I'll just say it's something new and very different.

When I was a kid, a guy figured out a crazy new way to high jump. The media razzed him and gave him the business, until he won the gold medal in the Olympic Games with his crazy new style. His name was Dick Fosbury. Today every high jumper in the world uses his crazy way of going over the bar on your back. The "Fosbury Flop".

New ideas come along.

I'm just saying.....

All you AZB fans, check out Dr. Dave on aiming. There's more info on aiming than you could learn in a lifetime. But, nothing of Shane's approach.
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/aiming.html#aiming

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input C.J. I know that you are one of the great player of the game, but the video is (33 min) long and there is absolutely nothing about shadows mentioned. Without giving the plot away, I'll just say it's something new and very different.

When I was a kid, a guy figured out a crazy new way to high jump. The media razzed him and gave him the business, until he won the gold medal in the Olympic Games with his crazy new style. His name was Dick Fosbury. Today every high jumper in the world uses his crazy way of going over the bar on your back. The "Fosbury Flop".

New ideas come along.

I'm just saying.....

All you AZB fans, check out Dr. Dave on aiming. There's more info on aiming than you could learn in a lifetime. But, nothing of Shane's approach.

here is an SVB giving an aiming lesson from 2011 DCC. Shadows are mentioned as are all the various shaft alignments. (left side, right side, etc)

http://vimeo.com/35382368

my guess is that CJ and Shane probably had the chance to talk at the Mosconi cup quite a bit... so directly from the horse’s mouth applies...

lastly ... I have tried and have used a very similar approach prior to SVB discussion of it.. but I do believe he developed it completely independently during his many hours of practice. (A fellow in Pittsburg demonstrated it about 30 years ago..)

just saying.... :grin-square:

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
He missed it a couple times, then made it 3 times in a row.

New ideas come along.

I'm just saying.....

I haven't seen the video so that's not what I was referring to. In London at the Mosconi Cup I saw him practicing and went over to the table to watch. He was setting a long shot up off the rail, a shot that Earl used to practice a lot.

He missed it a couple times, then made it 3 times in a row. I ask him what he was "aiming" at and he pointed to the shadow of the object ball on the side he was cutting and said "I aim the center of my TIP at the center of that shadow" ... I looked and sure enough it did create the correct angle......I just can't bring myself to aim at "shadows or ghosts". ;)

The main thing to remember is we are always creating angles between the two balls and whatever we "aim" at is our personal choice, I prefer using the center or edge of the object ball because connecting these two reference points ANY angle can be created. 'The Game is the Teacher'.com

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
What I think is funny on the DCC video is Shane laughing and shaking his head in bewildered amusement every time the student mentions the ghost ball.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"creating the angles between the balls"

What I think is funny on the DCC video is Shane laughing and shaking his head in bewildered amusement every time the student mentions the ghost ball.

What's funny is I traveled hundreds of thousands of miles on the road and not once did "aiming systems" come up. We had descriptions of different players, how they played, how much they would bet, what their favorite game is.

You would have thought someone would have been known for their "aiming system," like Buddy, Nick, Rempe, Earl, Efren, Sigel, etc.....and when I heard about "ghost ball systems" I just presumed it was just a term to keep from having to explain something that they couldn't explain.

If does make some sense to a beginner, if that's who you are teacher, I just prefer them to be aligning to a constant point on the object ball AND hitting the cue ball in a particular place. I've always thought in terms of creativity ... "creating the angles between the balls"

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's funny is I traveled hundreds of thousands of miles on the road and not once did "aiming systems" come up. We had descriptions of different players, how they played, how much they would bet, what their favorite game is.

You would have thought someone would have been known for their "aiming system," like Buddy, Nick, Rempe, Earl, Efren, Sigel, etc.....and when I heard about "ghost ball systems" I just presumed it was just a term to keep from having to explain something that they couldn't explain.

If does make some sense to a beginner, if that's who you are teacher, I just prefer them to be aligning to a constant point on the object ball AND hitting the cue ball in a particular place. I've always thought in terms of creativity ... "creating the angles between the balls"

Cj,

Hal Houle once said that the top 200 players in the world used his aiming system. I think Hal was largely correct in that assessment. Hal understood what they were doing in order to connect with the angles that lead to pockets even if they had no clue. CTE has been around for decades and misunderstood by most everyone. That's going to change.

Aiming is serious business and Nick declared that quite clearly in BD when he stated that aiming should be a life-long pursuit for any serious student of the game...

There's ample evidence that Efren divides the OB into quarters and aims with CB edges. It's obviuos that he visually sweeps to the CB.

What I like about NOW is that students have choices for the direction that they take. My advice for students is choose carefully....there's a lot more out there other than GB, CP and fractions.....a whole lot more!

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Although Shane says he discovered this on his own shaft aiming methods have been around a long time. I had a road player show me something similar in 2002. And Hal Houle also taught a shaft aiming method. As well there was one called the Mullen Method, can be found through search on here, that also uses the ferrule to aim.

I believe that Shane certainly figured this out on his own after shooting at so many balls. He noticed that he was consistently lined up to the shaft parts when the shots were on and then it was a matter of working it out and testing it.

The big point for me is that Shane is using objective points to aim with, the shaft is a physical object, the object ball's edge and bottom are physical points, even the contact point which is the least objective of the references he talks about is looking AT the ball using the shaft as a guide.

He is living proof that a player can use a repeatable system to align and aim, this coupled with the type of sound mechanics gives consistent results.

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Mullen Method

Although Shane says he discovered this on his own shaft aiming methods have been around a long time. I had a road player show me something similar in 2002. And Hal Houle also taught a shaft aiming method. As well there was one called the Mullen Method, can be found through search on here, that also uses the ferrule to aim.

I believe that Shane certainly figured this out on his own after shooting at so many balls. He noticed that he was consistently lined up to the shaft parts when the shots were on and then it was a matter of working it out and testing it.

The big point for me is that Shane is using objective points to aim with, the shaft is a physical object, the object ball's edge and bottom are physical points, even the contact point which is the least objective of the references he talks about is looking AT the ball using the shaft as a guide.

He is living proof that a player can use a repeatable system to align and aim, this coupled with the type of sound mechanics gives consistent results.

Dave Mullen Video

Thought this was taken off Youtube..but its back on.."Ultimate Aiming System"...basically aim the tip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5988W41mgcY

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Before I could make this video I had to figure out the system on my own. It's pretty powerful info but there is much more too it for thicker cut shots that he doesn't use/know. I use this in every shot now. I've totally given up on pivoting. It's just easier for me and I approach the shot already aligned.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Before I could make this video I had to figure out the system on my own. It's pretty powerful info but there is much more too it for thicker cut shots that he doesn't use/know. I use this in every shot now. I've totally given up on pivoting. It's just easier for me and I approach the shot already aligned.

I jut went to try and buy this but there is some kind of bug. Every time I click on buy now it takes me to the Efren Shane match I already bought.

Seems no way to get around it. Every avenue I tried goes back to the confirmation page for viewing the Efren/Shane match.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
few players can hit the cue ball where they're "aiming"....even with no object ball

Cj,

Hal Houle once said that the top 200 players in the world used his aiming system. I think Hal was largely correct in that assessment. Hal understood what they were doing in order to connect with the angles that lead to pockets even if they had no clue. CTE has been around for decades and misunderstood by most everyone. That's going to change.

Aiming is serious business and Nick declared that quite clearly in BD when he stated that aiming should be a life-long pursuit for any serious student of the game...

There's ample evidence that Efren divides the OB into quarters and aims with CB edges. It's obviuos that he visually sweeps to the CB.

What I like about NOW is that students have choices for the direction that they take. My advice for students is choose carefully....there's a lot more out there other than GB, CP and fractions.....a whole lot more!

Stan Shuffett

I've heard of Hal Houle from this forum, but never met him. That's a very strong statement, I would agree that the top 200 players connect the Cue Ball to the Object Ball in some way, shape or form, however, it would be difficult to imagine that they all do it the same way.

My biggest concern is that few players can hit the cue ball where they're "aiming"......even with no object ball on the table. Since I got a Break Rak I've been testing myself and other players and very few hit the cue ball exactly where they think more than 50% of the time, and that's for advanced players. Intermediate players hardly ever hit the cue ball where they're aiming.

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you. Shane Vanboeing's aiming system is a very powerful concept and very easy to utilize.

Once I started practicing with the aiming system, I to found it very easy to figure out how to see and make thicker and thinner cut shot, that he doesn't show in the video.

What's really great is the ease the aiming system affords in making long cut shots.
I'm now routinely making long table shots that I use to consider to be difficult.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I jut went to try and buy this but there is some kind of bug. Every time I click on buy now it takes me to the Efren Shane match I already bought.

Seems no way to get around it. Every avenue I tried goes back to the confirmation page for viewing the Efren/Shane match.

The VOD thing is still new for Vimeo so try contacting them at: https://vimeo.com/help/contact

They usually get back to me within a coupe hours.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've heard of Hal Houle from this forum, but never met him. That's a very strong statement, I would agree that the top 200 players connect the Cue Ball to the Object Ball in some way, shape or form, however, it would be difficult to imagine that they all do it the same way.

My biggest concern is that few players can hit the cue ball where they're "aiming"......even with no object ball on the table. Since I got a Break Rak I've been testing myself and other players and very few hit the cue ball exactly where they think more than 50% of the time, and that's for advanced players. Intermediate players hardly ever hit the cue ball where they're aiming.

CJ:

I agree. I have a friend who has a Break-Rak, and in letting people try it, one of the things I noticed is that while I personally focus on having the cue ball pop straight back at me, others seem not to be able to do this. They focus on "smashing" into it, and the cue ball invariably squirts or jets off to the side, bouncing around.

One particular player who plays decent I challenged to have the cue ball either pop back at him, or die somewhere in the middle of the table, and he couldn't do it, even after I asked him to "take a little bit off of it" (back-off on the power and focus on a precise hit). Then, I asked him to do the cue ball lagging drill -- where you lag the cue ball the length of the table and have it come back to the cue tip, say, 5 out of 5 times (after a few practice hits, of course, to make sure he's lined-up). What I found was that he couldn't "find" center ball -- he was cueing the ball off-center, and had altered his aim to compensate. (He was a good ball pocketer, btw -- he could run racks of 9-ball.) In watching his fundamentals, I noticed his alignment was off, but he's a particularly "strong" personality and doesn't take kindly to others critiquing his style. Nor is he open to accepting even friendly/helpful suggestions, even from better players, and even if multiple people all notice the same thing. So he's now "addicted" to the length of the table cue-ball-back-to-the-tip lagging exercise, "determined" to beat it, and he rarely does -- except on that lotto-winning rare occasion when the speed and inadvertent side he puts on the ball are perfectly balanced to score the cue ball back to the tip. Meanwhile, I can walk up to just about any decently set up table, and right out of the gate do this exercise with no problem. He just scratches his head, and when I answer his question of how I'm doing it, when I reply that I'm absolutely hitting center-ball, he exclaims, "I *AM* hitting center ball!!" ::sigh:: :eek:

There is no replacement for proper fundamentals -- not even an aiming system. While one can build a good game by adaptation and rote (and I suspect that's what the player above did), ultimately, it will come to bite him/her. One will be forever searching for that "panacea" to get him/her off of each plateau.

-Sean

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hal was aware decades ago that players aligned at an offset to their actual shot lines. It's a huge step forward when players such as yourself agree with this. IMO, Hal reversed this offset concept and explained it in terms of a slight rotation to CCB based on its 2 fixed edges.

Did the top 200 players Hal was referring to all have the same exact offsets? I doubt that as well, but I do I believe the offsets were QUITE similar.

Concerning connections, there are objective visuals and a defined rotation to CCB that connects directly to table geometry. ( CTE is a visual system and the gift of CTE is that the eyes lead to a single tick that represents a connection to pockets. That does NOT mean that CTE PRO ONE requires a CCB hit, it simply means that all CTE shots are based on an objective visual shot line.)

This subject matter will be greatly advanced in DVD2.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find both Hal Houle and Stan very interesting. It is quite entertaining to follow Mr Shuffetts posts and I would have loved to had been around when Mr Houle was preaching his word.

Here is a fascinating write up by Mr Houle taken from the question and answer page from JohnnyArcher.net. He seems to be angry at Johnny for hiding the secrets to aiming from all of the recreational players.

When players write to you, asking how to aim, your pat answer is to say that you get three feet back from the shot, then you shoot parallel lines. That is all hogwash. That is not how you aim. Why don't you level with these recreational players? You use the aiming system whereby you aim the center of the cue ball at the edge of the object ball for any and all shots. You know exactly what I am talking about. We both know about placing the cue tip either left or right of cue ball center, and you know why we do that. Get honest for a change. These recreational players are no threat. Tell them the truth. - Hal Houle

I really don't know why you keep writing about my aiming system. Everybody that is listening, IT IS MY AIMING SYSTEM. I hope this would relieve some pressure that you have. Thanks, Johnny

Great stuff!
http://www.johnnyarcher.net/ask.html

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find both Hal Houle and Stan very interesting. It is quite entertaining to follow Mr Shuffetts posts and I would have loved to had been around when Mr Houle was preaching his word.

Here is a fascinating write up by Mr Houle taken from the question and answer page from JohnnyArcher.net. He seems to be angry at Johnny for hiding the secrets to aiming from all of the recreational players.

When players write to you, asking how to aim, your pat answer is to say that you get three feet back from the shot, then you shoot parallel lines. That is all hogwash. That is not how you aim. Why don't you level with these recreational players? You use the aiming system whereby you aim the center of the cue ball at the edge of the object ball for any and all shots. You know exactly what I am talking about. We both know about placing the cue tip either left or right of cue ball center, and you know why we do that. Get honest for a change. These recreational players are no threat. Tell them the truth. - Hal Houle

I really don't know why you keep writing about my aiming system. Everybody that is listening, IT IS MY AIMING SYSTEM. I hope this would relieve some pressure that you have. Thanks, Johnny

Great stuff!
http://www.johnnyarcher.net/ask.html

And, What is your point?

Do you NOT believe that pros play from an offset?
It is becoming more and more obvious over time that that is indeed the case.

Stan Shuffett