"Pool Channel"

Scherf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a question there really may be an answer to, but if there is, I just don't know it. With all of the resources that are put into Bonus Ball, TAR and other various sparatic tournaments around the country, why can't forces combine and create a "Pool Channel" very similar to the Golf Channel on cable T.V. The production equipment is obviously there, quality commentators are out there, and judging just by the number of threads on this site and many others everyday, there is a good amount of interest that could get something like this rolling. Everyone knows there needs to be more money and "T.V." exposure to help keep professional billiards alive. Instead of trapping people to their computers to watch a "live stream" how can this not be a good idea. Start with industry advertisers and other national brands that advertise EVERYWHERE and build a foundation. I obviously don't have the resources to do such a thing, but to me it seems like such a obvious idea. Heck even put infomercials on in "off hours". Those things are on everywhere. Am I really the only one that's ever thought of this?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
You could pool all the marketing budgets of all pool-industry companies and it wouldn't buy you more than a couple of 30-minute segments on an obscure cable channel.

"Specialty interest" shows on cable are produced lock, stock and barrel (sell the ad time to sponsors, film and edit the show, etc) by an outside producer who buys the time from the cable channel. Hunting and fishing shows are good examples. The cable channel has nothing to do with the show -- they just sell them the 30-minutes of airtime.

But it ain't cheap. Unfortunately we don't have Bass Pro Shops, Cabellas and Dick's Sporting Goods competing for multi-billions of $$ of customer spending.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
It cost an awful lot of money to start a cable channel. We're talking Arnold Palmer/minority investor kind of money plus an $80MM loan. And golf already had a TV contract, big name sponsors, and a proven audience.

Last edited:

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who needs a TV channel when you can get everything you need from the internet? There's youtube and streaming video. Television is quaint.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who needs a TV channel when you can get everything you need from the internet? There's youtube and streaming video. Television is quaint.

That's what I was going to say. Most new TVs these days are Internet-connected, or you can buy ~$100 boxes. I got rid of cable 6 years ago with no regrets at all, and cord-cutters are going to become a larger and larger % of people.

I'd love to see an Internet "channel" for, say, $10 a month with PPV and archives of tourneys and TAR-like events. Hell, throw in Bonus Ball. I'm not sure a single entity could make it worthwhile for a subscription, but if they all got together and could find a good method of distribution, I think a lot of people would spring for a single service that would have all the good pool on it. And if it was successful, maybe some cable channel would pick it up.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It cost an awful lot of money to start a cable channel. We're talking Arnold Palmer/minority investor kind of money plus an $80MM loan. And golf already had a TV contract, big name sponsors, and a proven audience.

and a zillion hours of archive film to take up airtime, pool is too small for a dedicated network, fun to dream about not realistic:(

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Load up the pipe and fire up

All the current big buck sponsors could buy ad time

As JCIN would say... "What could go wrong"