Visiting Northern VA / DC for a bit. Looking for a game.

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
Hello AZB.

I am visiting the Northern VA and DC area for training and I am looking for somewhere to shoot a bit while I am in town. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I enjoy all types of games from rotation games to 1P and 14.1. If anyone is interested in shooting while im here, It could be fun.

I have been stationed in Germany for a bit so please keep in mind that this is not an open challenge. Anyone who knows me, knows I just enjoy a good friendly game.

Carl B

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome!

Please let us know what town you're staying in and if you have a car?

We will get you taken care of!!

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
BB,

I guess i did leave out some details. I am in the Fort Belvoir area and I do have a vehicle. :)

Carl B

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice...you could do worse and better, for a starting point.

Fast Eddie's in Springfield is a decent choice. If there is a penny to be bet around, it is bet there. Gold Crowns

Q-Ball in Springfield is a good bet. My favorite room in the area, though it is a play with yourself kind of place, unless you bring your own opponenet or choose to play 3c billiards. Gold Crowns/ knockoffs and billiard tables.

Hard Times Cafe in Woodbridge has a very nice Diamond that is shimmed up. Also a regular Diamond and Gold Crowns. Gets kind of loud in there, but that Diamond is sweet. Cheap action, maybe.

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
Awesome.

Sounds like I need to hit up that Diamond for some 1P practice. :) Im not really looking for action but if I found someone to play any game with, I could play cheap just to keep it interesting.

Carl B.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome.

Sounds like I need to hit up that Diamond for some 1P practice. :) Im not really looking for action but if I found someone to play any game with, I could play cheap just to keep it interesting.

Carl B.

Traffic to there from Belvior is horrid, from ~4-8 pm, fyi.

Last edited:

gkloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i run the QBALL APA division there on thurs nites. excellent tables and playing conditions but not much action there. Fast Eddies in Springfield has action but table condition are hit or miss. the Diamond tables at Hard Times in woodbridge acutally are Bobby Chamberlain's practice tables. Let me know when you are in the area, we can meet up to play some for fun.

warning, both Fast Eddies and QBall allow smoking.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i could have played some pool with you. i stayed for a month in woodbridge,va. just got back home to the Philippines a couple of days ago. try hard times cafe in woodbridge.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huh? Things changed up a bit since I been in there? Or are you talking about when you robbed me.......
Ahh, good times:wink:. Thanks for the memories, I can barely remember the last time I ran a rack.

And I might not have been back there since then. Not sure.:eek:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Are you the one on the left or the right in your picture? I'll keep an eye out for you.

I agree with most of the assessments but I'd add a little...

FE Springfield has pretty poor cloth that plays slow, but otherwise the tables are ok, and there's action.
QBall great equipment, little to no action.
Hard Times Springfield stay away, worst equipment in the area. I only mention it in case you get confused into going there.
HT Woodbridge I don't recommend. Beat tables with very bad rolls, except the diamonds,
and these are older diamonds, with the big pockets (not the procut) and slower rails/cloth.
They play fine but they cost extra and are not always available for rent.
If you don't get one of the 2 diamonds, you wasted a trip. And noise/crowding is still a problem.

Willing to drive 25 minutes further, there's fast eddies fairfax. Recently reclothed tables,
but some funny rolls. Nonsmoking. Some small action. Lots of people to play.

Another 20 minutes, there's breakers in herndon. Near perfect equipment, gold crowns that are made
to play similar to diamonds (but only one table is really tight). Smoking or non available.
Action is hit or miss, but I can probably set you up with something.

And yet another 15 minutes north of that is first break, great small room with all diamond tables.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As usual, Creedo is wrong.

hahaha. I kid.

Creedo- you really don't think that Diamond in the back plays damn well?

Also, how long has it been since you were in Fast Eddie's in Springfield? I was there in March or so and John Burns was in there with a crew, working his magic on quite a few tables, with plans to return and do the rest.

I believe Burns was also in negotiation with Breaker's to redo their tables the Royal way- extended subrails and all. Any idea if that happened? And on that topic, wasn't there a tourney there this past weekend? hmmmm

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who like closer-in options, someone (not John Burns) and Danny Green have been redoing the tables at Lucy's (previously Champions) in Shirlington. I haven't tried them yet.

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are over 50 I'll match up with you at the senior center in Silver Spring, MD. Send me a pm.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Creedo.....

Big pockets on the corner diamond (table 6) with a tight rack system?? You sure about that?? I played on that table for almost 3 years and its well maintained with your standard 4.5 inch ball spitting bastard pockets.

In my opinion the only other tables that are even close are at First Break in Sterling but that is a hike!! If you want some quite time practice go to Hard Times in Woodbridge and play on Table 6 from noon up until 630-7ish when the bangers and drinkers come in. Right around that time is when you pull up, pack your cues and leave. You never know who will be on that table at those times. Alex T, Philipino Mannny, Outstanding pro player Bobby Chamberlain, Perk who can tax you for each mistake you make. There are plenty of good players that favor that table and its mostly kept open for the better players (Bobby's rule) to keep them coming back.

Heed Black-balled's warning about traffic!! Going north back to Belvior on 95 in the afternoon can be spoty but anything after 6 and you should be fine. Most traffic is going south.

Btw... DO you not answer PM's :confused:

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Heed Black-balled's warning about traffic!! Going north back to Belvior on 95 in the afternoon can be spoty but anything after 6 and you should be fine. Most traffic is going south.

Btw... DO you not answer PM's :confused:

You been away too long...HE is at Ft. Belvoir, not Quantico. Ft Belvoir is a little south of the 495 and north of hoodbridge.

Which makes Lucy's a decent option...

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Creedo.....

Big pockets on the corner diamond (table 6) with a tight rack system?? You sure about that?? I played on that table for almost 3 years and its well maintained with your standard 4.5 inch ball spitting bastard pockets.

In my opinion the only other tables that are even close are at First Break in Sterling but that is a hike!! If you want some quite time practice go to Hard Times in Woodbridge and play on Table 6 from noon up until 630-7ish when the bangers and drinkers come in. Right around that time is when you pull up, pack your cues and leave. You never know who will be on that table at those times. Alex T, Philipino Mannny, Outstanding pro player Bobby Chamberlain, Perk who can tax you for each mistake you make. There are plenty of good players that favor that table and its mostly kept open for the better players (Bobby's rule) to keep them coming back.

Yup, played there about 2 weeks ago. The corner table has transparent donuts to set up a rack of 9b
(maybe using the slug doctor?), but one of the balls won't quite freeze.
I'm sure bobby's got the break down on it anyway but I struggled a little making wing balls.

The pockets play (IMO) a little easier than newer diamonds.
I never got out a ruler so I can't swear they're not 4.5" at the opening, just that they play a little easier
than, say, first break's diamonds. Maybe a slightly different cut.

As usual, Creedo is wrong.

hahaha. I kid.
Creedo- you really don't think that Diamond in the back plays damn well?

Also, how long has it been since you were in Fast Eddie's in Springfield? I was there in March or so and John Burns was in there with a crew, working his magic on quite a few tables, with plans to return and do the rest.

I believe Burns was also in negotiation with Breaker's to redo their tables the Royal way- extended subrails and all. Any idea if that happened? And on that topic, wasn't there a tourney there this past weekend? hmmmm

Diamond in the back plays good, but A: you have to get lucky to get it, B: you gotta pay extra,
and C: it's still hard times... ear-bleeding karaoke, those damn drink shelves at exactly the wrong
height so your cue rams into them every time you're on the rail, and the neighbors will crowd
and bump you on a busy night. I'd only choose woodbridge over, say, QB because I was hoping
to play or watch bobby, who will practice his straight pool on camera and occasionally put up a great run.

Went to FE Springfield maybe 8 weeks ago? 10 weeks? Not all the tables were done.
I look forward to it when they are.

I was playing with a buddy who had to shoot from like 7 feet away and draw back 2+ feet.
His cue ball just stopped. I was like "Wait a minute, come on, you should be able to draw that ball.
Try that again." ...after like 10 tries he got the cue ball to kind of grudgingly wander backwards 6 inches.

So of course, all cocky-like, I'm like "here, let me show you how to do this. You're not hitting it right."
STOP SHOT
STOP SHOT
STOP SHOT

I was like dropping nuclear draw bombs on this ball and couldn't get it to move lol.
The cloth is like a wool blanket. I suspect they cheaped out and didn't get simonis the first time.
And they never clean the damn balls.

Re: breakers - I believe they are all done and have extended subrails, I played there last weekend.
I think they redo everything when the APT comes to town.
I didn't look for shims, but I didn't notice any either, and usually I'll notice those ugly little blocky nipples
when shims are used.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always nice to have a current update from someone who actually gets out and about...

I agree that the HT Daimond isn;'t the toughest one I;ve played on, but it will slap a GC native. Plays goodly to me. Environment could use a good fire, but loud doesn't usually bother me and I don't talk to anyone else anyway.

I am familiar with the drink rails, but have never had them impede a shot. That is odd, coz I definitely have a propensity to leave InI on the rails.:angry:
Yup, played there about 2 weeks ago. The corner table has transparent donuts to set up a rack of 9b
(maybe using the slug doctor?), but one of the balls won't quite freeze.
I'm sure bobby's got the break down on it anyway but I struggled a little making wing balls.

The pockets play (IMO) a little easier than newer diamonds.
I never got out a ruler so I can't swear they're not 4.5" at the opening, just that they play a little easier
than, say, first break's diamonds. Maybe a slightly different cut.

Diamond in the back plays good, but A: you have to get lucky to get it, B: you gotta pay extra,
and C: it's still hard times... ear-bleeding karaoke, those damn drink shelves at exactly the wrong
height so your cue rams into them every time you're on the rail, and the neighbors will crowd
and bump you on a busy night. I'd only choose woodbridge over, say, QB because I was hoping
to play or watch bobby, who will practice his straight pool on camera and occasionally put up a great run.

Went to FE Springfield maybe 8 weeks ago? 10 weeks? Not all the tables were done.
I look forward to it when they are.

I was playing with a buddy who had to shoot from like 7 feet away and draw back 2+ feet.
His cue ball just stopped. I was like "Wait a minute, come on, you should be able to draw that ball.
Try that again." ...after like 10 tries he got the cue ball to kind of grudgingly wander backwards 6 inches.

So of course, all cocky-like, I'm like "here, let me show you how to do this. You're not hitting it right."
STOP SHOT
STOP SHOT
STOP SHOT

I was like dropping nuclear draw bombs on this ball and couldn't get it to move lol.
The cloth is like a wool blanket. I suspect they cheaped out and didn't get simonis the first time.
And they never clean the damn balls.

Re: breakers - I believe they are all done and have extended subrails, I played there last weekend.
I think they redo everything when the APT comes to town.
I didn't look for shims, but I didn't notice any either, and usually I'll notice those ugly little blocky nipples
when shims are used.