Earl vs. Karl Commentary - Day 3, Match 2

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
I was sitting in the live Mosconi Cup audience and texting my commentary to a friend that could not watch. I figured maybe to get some more mileage out of it as it could be interesting to some that were not in attendance.

So here it is unedited:

"Earl v. Karl now
2-9. USA won twice yesterday
Earl dry break. Karl got out. 0-1
Dry break Karl
A couple critical mistakes (Earl).
Near Cosmo left for Karl
Two bad shape shots (Karl). Then shit himself back in line.
He's taking the heat. Horrible on the 8
Made it.
Got out.
0-2.
As bad as they are breaking, USA may as well safe-break.
They are giving away shots at the 1
5-9 hanger for Karl. 0-3
Super strong 5-Ball shot (Earl).
1-3:thumbup:
Earl scratched on break
Karl played himself out of line right away. Missed a bank on the 4. Earls hooked.
Earl hit it, but sold out.
1-4
Karl scratched on break
Ugly match
Earl plays a two way 1-9 combo to safe. Comes nowhere close to making the 9. Karl make the kick. Then Earl missed the entire one ball (wasn't hooked). :sorry:
Earl is playing like a beaten dog. Perhaps the whole USA team is doing the same...
Karl got out. 1-5.
Earl make one of break and balls roll to a snookered position. It's surreal.
A push & a couple safeties. Earl has an open shot on the 1.
Lauded himself out of line in the 3, but recovered slight w/a 3-4 combo. Played out of shape on 8. Made tough 8 & got out.
2-5. Earl interacting w/crowd a lot.
"This is humiliating"
Karl breaks dry. No shot.
Earl played safe, got a shot, but 3 is tough.
Helluva 3 to 4 shot!
Really technical out...
Earl gets out! Best out I've witnessed of the event!
3-5.
Earl told a Euro fan to shut up at the beginning I last rack. Awesome!
Earl made one on the break. Has a shot
Earl got some rhythm out of the last rack. Getting out here. Out. 4-5.
Minute long or so run out.
Karl's break Dry. Earl's hooked
Roll out
Karl takes it, leaves easy hook.
Earl hit hook good.
K makes clean hit, got safe
E gets safe
K kicks in 1, but tough 2.
K makes great 2 shot - in line now
Tough 8 ahead
Good shape on 7 for 8
4-5.
Missable 9
4-6. 2-10 now. Karl an ungracious winner. Braggart.
Unsportsman-like handshake with Earl.
Undeserved.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great kick shot on the one ball and super cut shot on the two ball in the last rack!

I believe the handshake might of been an imitation from the year before when Earl used the same hand shake with Ralf Souquet.

TASK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This gives a slightly skewed view of the match. You failed to mention that Earl berated Karl the entire time, essentially telling him that he played like **** in every way he could imagine. Although if you were watching it live, you may not have been able to hear Earl's diatribe.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
This gives a slightly skewed view of the match. You failed to mention that Earl berated Karl the entire time, essentially telling him that he played like **** in every way he could imagine. Although if you were watching it live, you may not have been able to hear Earl's diatribe.

One question, I wasn't watching, did Karl play like a b1tch?
Sometimes that kind of commentary isn't so much out of line

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
earl was talking BS the entire match, karl played clean pool. just listen to the interview after the match.... karl said "he s a great player,,, but an idiot"

that type of behaviour with more eurofans and they would have roasted earl. the "unsportsmanlike" handshake was a consequence of earls sharking and *****ing around. glad its over. time to hide this wannabe godnes in a cave.

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member

Agree completely with this. Earl was mic'd up so we could hear most of it watching the live stream. Karl's celebration and handshake was clearly directed as payback for Earl's BS nearly the entire match. He was warned multiple times by the referee and to Karl's credit he ignored it completely during the entire match. Its hard to bash him for his post-victory celebration, although it may have been a little over-the-top.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
karl had to endure earl's yapping during the entire match, keeping himself cool and patient to stay on focus. Ken Shuman had to give Earl a "final warning", yet Earl still made very short unnecessary comments. I'm an Earl fan, and I believe he could have won that match had he not dispayed unsporstmanlike conduct. Very frustrating.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Karl's handshake was payback for the often replayed handshake Earl gave to Ralf Souquet. Not to mention, Earl sharked him continually, and when Karl told him to shut up, Earl responded, "who do you think you're talking to.... ploughsbury doughboy"?

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Undeserved.

I suppose you didn't mind Earl's near constant sharking, sh1t-talking, and taunting Karl?
Earl is just lucky that the Euros have as much class as they do. Had Karl decided to take a less-classy, more violent approach, Earl would be in a ton of pain head to toe... except for his braced and padded left arm.

Karl was cool and composed the entire match when Earl gave him PLENTY of reasons not to be. But it was just another area that team Europe best team USA... class, composure, and professionalism.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
I was seated in the upper deck. We can not hear 95% of what the players are saying.

My commentary is an account of what I saw.

I have competed against all of the Mosconi Cup Team Members (both sides) except Earl & Karl, so perhaps I don't know what to "look for" in terms of their gamesmanship game. Couldn't hear them.

Visually, Earl did not deserve the disrespect. Ultimately, it "showed" poorly on Karl.

...and this below just says more about the author than anything else.

Had Karl decided to take a less-classy, more violent approach, Earl would be in a ton of pain head to toe... except for his braced and padded left arm.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was seated in the upper deck. We can not hear 95% of what the players are saying.

My commentary is an account of what I saw.

I have competed against all of the Mosconi Cup Team Members (both sides) except Earl & Karl, so perhaps I don't know what to "look for" in terms of their gamesmanship game. Couldn't hear them.

Visually, Earl did not deserve the disrespect. Ultimately, it "showed" poorly on Karl.

...and this below just says more about the author than anything else.

Lol. I'm not suggesting he SHOULD have taken the violence route. Quite the opposite. I'm saying that sitting from where you were (by your own admission) you clearly did NOT see what everyone watching the stream DID see.... AND hear. Even from the upper decks, it wouldn't have been too hard to see Earl turned in his seat and talking in a very animated manner to people in the crowd. Earl was downright rude and disrespectful to Karl. He seemingly taunted Karl while he was shooting the last two racks, making snyde remark after snyde remark. Earl was being, well.... Earl. And through it all, Karl never flinched. Karl did the RIGHT thing. He tuned Earl out, kept his cool, and just played to win. Fighting Earl wouldn't have been the right thing to do. Staying quiet and composed WAS the right thing to do. Its what he did and its why the Euros give the US the 5 out and the breaks in the 'class' department.

And when it was over, he acted in a manner that was completely acceptable, even by Earl's standards since we've all seen HIM do it before. Many times.

Last edited:

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was sitting in the live Mosconi Cup audience and texting my commentary to a friend that could not watch. I figured maybe to get some more mileage out of it as it could be interesting to some that were not in attendance.

So here it is unedited:

"Earl v. Karl now
2-9. USA won twice yesterday
Earl dry break. Karl got out. 0-1
Dry break Karl
A couple critical mistakes (Earl).
Near Cosmo left for Karl
Two bad shape shots (Karl). Then shit himself back in line.
He's taking the heat. Horrible on the 8
Made it.
Got out.
0-2.
As bad as they are breaking, USA may as well safe-break.
They are giving away shots at the 1
5-9 hanger for Karl. 0-3
Super strong 5-Ball shot (Earl).
1-3:thumbup:
Earl scratched on break
Karl played himself out of line right away. Missed a bank on the 4. Earls hooked.
Earl hit it, but sold out.
1-4
Karl scratched on break
Ugly match
Earl plays a two way 1-9 combo to safe. Comes nowhere close to making the 9. Karl make the kick. Then Earl missed the entire one ball (wasn't hooked). :sorry:
Earl is playing like a beaten dog. Perhaps the whole USA team is doing the same...
Karl got out. 1-5.
Earl make one of break and balls roll to a snookered position. It's surreal.
A push & a couple safeties. Earl has an open shot on the 1.
Lauded himself out of line in the 3, but recovered slight w/a 3-4 combo. Played out of shape on 8. Made tough 8 & got out.
2-5. Earl interacting w/crowd a lot.
"This is humiliating"
Karl breaks dry. No shot.
Earl played safe, got a shot, but 3 is tough.
Helluva 3 to 4 shot!
Really technical out...
Earl gets out! Best out I've witnessed of the event!
3-5.
Earl told a Euro fan to shut up at the beginning I last rack. Awesome!
Earl made one on the break. Has a shot
Earl got some rhythm out of the last rack. Getting out here. Out. 4-5.
Minute long or so run out.
Karl's break Dry. Earl's hooked
Roll out
Karl takes it, leaves easy hook.
Earl hit hook good.
K makes clean hit, got safe
E gets safe
K kicks in 1, but tough 2.
K makes great 2 shot - in line now
Tough 8 ahead
Good shape on 7 for 8
4-5.
Missable 9
Undeserved.

Earl deserved much worse they a bad hand shake. all he did the entire match was talk about how bad Karl plays and he cant get out. Karl shut him up with a great out to win.
But I guess this is coming from the guy who quit the tourney as a house pro in the pool room he was working in.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean where all evidence is presented and arguments made by both sides...

In what way is that what you did????

You missed 95% of what ACTUALLY transpired and focused on the 5% that you witnessed from the upper decks.

If THAT is 'arguments by both sides with all the evidence presented', god help the accused who sees you on a jury panel.