Hearing impaired

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
How many folks in our AZB pool community are hearing impaired?

How many of your pool-playing friends or family have hearing impairments?

Thanks,

-Blake

Last edited:

osama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son is. He is the only one in my family.

The most famous hearing impaired pool player is Shane Van.

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am hearing impaired and have a cochlear implant. Deaf without it. It's a blessing in this game as I can have silence anytime I want it. I'm the only one in my family who is hearing impaired and as far as I know, the only one among the people I play with.

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
Hearing Impaired

My friend Curtis Boswell ,is hearing impaired , he could hear just very little with the use of hearing aids , and communicated more by reading lips , as he was 99% deaf from birth

Curtis was a very strong 9 ball player , and a great third basemen in base ball when were in high School.

I haven't seen Curtis since about 1994, I hope is doing great , he was always one of the funniest guys , great attitude and a killer sense of humor could keep you in stiches for hours

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I'm about 75% maybe more now. Damaged eardrums. An idiot shot a .38 off next to my left ear and a cherry bomb in a wammo slingshot got my right. Finishing touches were put on in a fight when the guy smacked both my ears with the palms of his hands. Johnnyt

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
A book

I'm about 75% maybe more now. Damaged eardrums. An idiot shot a .38 off next to my left ear and a cherry bomb in a wammo slingshot got my right. Finishing touches were put on in a fight when the guy smacked both my ears with the palms of his hands. Johnnyt

Johnnyt you should write a book I am willing to bet you have absolutely fascinating stories to tell

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Johnnyt you should write a book I am willing to bet you have absolutely fascinating stories to tell

I led a very sheltered life :wink:. Johnnyt

PS: I did write a short story Bio about 5 years ago that Amazon published in their Amazons Shorts that isn't posted anymore I don't believe.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Title was "Hustling Under The Radar". Freddie The Beard had one on Amazon too.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching Shane play I was thinking about digging my eardrums out with a sharp pencil:cool:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
50+

My hearing is at 50% in each ear, I having hearing aids but they hear what they want, not what I want. I wore them in the Pool room one night during a Tournament and all I could hear was explosions coming from the big screen TV.That was the last time I wore them when playing Pool.I got my 1st. Pair of H. Aides in 98 and have tried several other pairs since then, to me they are all crap.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have trouble hearing what my wife tells me to do

she wants me to get a hearing aid
but i am afraid i will have more chores
so i keep the poor hearing

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
My Scotch Doubles partner is hearing-impaired.

It doesn't matter who I'm partnered up with...none of them can hear me say "leave the CB on the left side of shot line." :D

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
i have trouble hearing what my wife tells me to do

she wants me to get a hearing aid
but i am afraid i will have more chores
so i keep the poor hearing

My wife tells me that I am deaf all the time. I prefer to think of it as selective hearing, not hearing loss. Besides, depending on what you are expected to hear, is it really a "loss"?:confused:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I was born that way. In public school, my grades were starting to slip.
They figured out that I was having a hard time trying to hear what the teacher was saying.

It wasn't bad enuff to get an aide so they always made sure that I sat at the front of the class.

I'm at the point now that I should consider a hearing test and one or 2 aides. I'm lucky in that my current job in the health care system will provide a good portion of the cost.

Before it was ok but getting much worse. If I go to a movie, I miss half the dialogue.

And I have to get people to repeat everything which can be frustrating at times.

When I watch a video, it has to be turned up loud and it drives my wife crazy, specially if she is in bed and trying to sleep.

2014 New Year Resolution. Get a hearing test.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I was born that way. In public school, my grades were starting to slip.
They figured out that I was having a hard time trying to hear what the teacher was saying.

It wasn't bad enuff to get an aide so they always made sure that I sat at the front of the class.

I'm at the point now that I should consider a hearing test and one or 2 aides. I'm lucky in that my current job in the health care system will provide a good portion of the cost.

Before it was ok but getting much worse. If I go to a movie, I miss half the dialogue.

And I have to get people to repeat everything which can be frustrating at times.

When I watch a video, it has to be turned up loud and it drives my wife crazy, specially if she is in bed and trying to sleep.

2014 New Year Resolution. Get a hearing test.

I have a few sets of wireless earphones so not to disturb wife. Johnnyt

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Wireless. What will they think of next.

Our Chinese gift exchange on Christmas day, I got a nice set of Sony head phones but they were stolen from me by another person. Thats how the game works but was looking forward to trying them out up until that point.