What's the weirdest bet you've made/seen in a pool hall?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I played one race to 20 in 3 cushion billiards, bet my 70 Nova stock against his 50 Merc with a 56 Buick engine, LaSale 4 speed trans, and a 4.11 rear in 1975-76. I won. Johnnyt

Fightinphil

Registered
I don't post or play anymore - but I read and lurk.... This interesting topic has forced me to respond though...

We had one night where I think our PA pool hall closed and a bunch of us were hanging around outside. For the life of me, I can't remember how this started - but similar to pitching quarters, we decided to pitch something else for money. Wish I could remember where the word "TIRE" came into play....

One person offered to pull out the spare tire from their trunk of the car (Toyota I think). It wasn't a doughnut, it was a full size tire. But what we ended up doing for several hours was pitching/rolling a spare tire from about 50 feet to a wall of the outside of the pool hall (about 50 feet down from the entrance door) and whoever's tire roll each round was closest to the wall, took the cash.

This is as degenerate as it gets in my opinion. The funny thing is the strategy involved. The tire would curve depending on which side you had the main rim facing - plus speed and direction obviously. On top of that, there were spots in the concrete wall which had wood panels or there was even an insert into the wall (like a door) with a wood panel. Obviously the rubber would bounce harder from concrete than wood - and those big bounces basically ended your chance of winning that round. The eventual goal was to "curve" your tire (with the weight of the rim) so it would hit the wood panels and fall and die - rather than bounce off and come back. A leaner was basically a winner any time.

There were up to 5 or 6 people throwing per round at $10-$50 per person per round progressively...

Good thing the cops didn't stop by to ask why we were rolling a lone spare tire towards the building....

I'd hate to hear that the tire's owner had "prepped" at all like some of the other posts here... :)

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Binghamton New York

Man walks into the poolroom and bets he will smash his finger or let anybody smash one of his fingers with a hammer. He couldn't scream out or even flinch. Busted the house.
Allen Keel bet he could make balls on tables across from where he was playing. They were long or length of 2 table shots with space between the tables. He busted the house.
Pensacola
Dick Hunzicker would bet break and run 9ball even money until you quit. Not the ghost. Break and run. All balls had to be made before he could pocket the 9. Never lost that bet. Sooner or later they all pulled up.
Seen some crazy stuff.
Throwing a quarter and making it land on a stool. Danny Grear-Alias..
Shooting a center of the table ball on a 12x6 one handed jacked up corner hooked. Triple shimed smallest pockets on the planet. Rick Howard
The cracker bet.
The sit like you are in an invisable chair against the wall bet. Winner went to the hospital.
14-1 break and run used the froze rail shot as a break shot. Allen Keel.
The bet I can run 9ball racks until everyone quits the ring game. Allen Keel.
Mighty Foo bet he would pick up and hold a bar table at his waiste for 2 minuites. He didn't weigh 180 pounds. Winner He could only use one hand.
I bet I could bet I could bench press everything they had on the bar in the back of this old poolroom. No one could do it and most everyone trying was 70 lbs or more bigger than me. Winner. It wasn't even 400 lbs!
Nick :)

Last edited:

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
10 big macs for the loser. I lost. :(

After that, I never ate Mac for a year.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess this is pool related because it was outside of a pool room and the guy was a poolplayer. If I remember right it was Stave Simpson he bet he could piss over a car and he did it. He was also known as the Cue ball Kid and would make bets where he spit the cueball out of his mouth and made shots. He would make spot shots and so on spitting the cue ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched guys at a local golf course throwing golf on the green betting on closest to the hole. I thought you've all got golf clubs but you are throwing the ball, wtf?

I was a video golf master for a while, never played a real round and prob only hit 100 balls off natural surface, so I got no real golf skills, you see.

My bro plays pretty well and I went to a par 3 with him and other friends of his, all who play golf regularly. A storm started comin in when we go to the last hole so we had to gtfo ASAP. We threw the balls at the pin and I had about a 12" put for the win. Only hole I won.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a video golf master for a while, never played a real round and prob only hit 100 balls off natural surface, so I got no real golf skills, you see.

My bro plays pretty well and I went to a par 3 with him and other friends of his, all who play golf regularly. A storm started comin in when we go to the last hole so we had to gtfo ASAP. We threw the balls at the pin and I had about a 12" put for the win. Only hole I won.

Hey Black i know you got better stories then that one, with all the crazy shit that happen inside the pool halls in DC and Balto.

Come on brother, out with some!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Black i know you got better stories then that one, with all the crazy shit that happen inside the pool halls in DC and Balto.

Come on brother, out with some!

I already told the craziest one, did you see it earlier in this thread? A few people have asked me if I made it up, so I could use some corroboration.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good friend of mine Big Craig, he worked at bill and billies back when things were rolling.

Of course Bill and Billies was over in glen burnie, Big Craig live over in Dundalk, so he hung out at Running out alot.

So Craig was 6-2 and 330 and with decent shape, now all of us over at Running out know about how Craig could and would pick up cars - trucks from behind and set the rear end up on the curb.

Around this time in the early 90s there were lots of road players in and out of Bill and Billies were Craig work at nite time, 10-6 am, this was the best time to go there for action, after the bars closed!

So Big Craig would bet the road players or the backers that he would pick up the back end (and move it a certain distant)of what ever vehical they drove to the pool hall in.

Of course Big Boy never lost a bet!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember a bet outside of the old congress billiards in Miami. Not really anything that unusual it was just a foot race. Mike Carella was playing Jimmy Mataya. Mataya had a guy with him sort of a body guard I think he called him Rocky. I am not sure how it came about but Carella gets into a bet with Mataya that Rocky can out run Carella. Now Mike is in collage and looks like an athlete.

Rocky on the other hand is like 6' 2" with a big gut and looks like sitting in a chair is his favorite activity. We all go outside and they are going to race past the stop sign at the end of the street.

They bet like a thousand on this. Mataya is no idiot and we are thinking this is some kind of trick bet there is no way this guy can beat Carella in a foot race. Turns out it wasn't. They get ready to run and someone says go. On go, Rocky is gone. This big fat guy runs like a pro football player. I don't think Carella ran ten yards before pulling up Rocky was so far ahead.

Sorry to say that was the high point for Mataya dealing with Carella. Carella beat him for like $30,000.00 over the next few nights.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good friend of mine Big Craig, he worked at bill and billies back when things were rolling.

Of course Bill and Billies was over in glen burnie, Big Craig live over in Dundalk, so he hung out at Running out alot.

So Craig was 6-2 and 330 and with decent shape, now all of us over at Running out know about how Craig could and would pick up cars - trucks from behind and set the rear end up on the curb.

Around this time in the early 90s there were lots of road players in and out of Bill and Billies were Craig work at nite time, 10-6 am, this was the best time to go there for action, after the bars closed!

So Big Craig would bet the road players or the backers that he would pick up the back end (and move it a certain distant)of what ever vehical they drove to the pool hall in.

Of course Big Boy never lost a bet!

No one ever loaded up the trunk with bricks?

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the warehouse district poolroom in glen burnie, md...acknowledged in Playing off the Rail...there was a guy who bet a bunch of people that he could stand outside with his pants down and come in under 2min without touching himself.

I didn't see it, but understand he did get the cash.
His girlfriend must have been so proud.

Figures it was at Bill and Billies, I believe that Nuts name was Squirell (spell), Seriously his real name was Richard!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember a bet outside of the old congress billiards in Miami. Not really anything that unusual it was just a foot race. Mike Carella was playing Jimmy Mataya. Mataya had a guy with him sort of a body guard I think he called him Rocky. I am not sure how it came about but Carella gets into a bet with Mataya that Rocky can out run Carella. Now Mike is in collage and looks like an athlete.

Rocky on the other hand is like 6' 2" with a big gut and looks like sitting in a chair is his favorite activity. We all go outside and they are going to race past the stop sign at the end of the street.

They bet like a thousand on this. Mataya is no idiot and we are thinking this is some kind of trick bet there is no way this guy can beat Carella in a foot race. Turns out it wasn't. They get ready to run and someone says go. On go, Rocky is gone. This big fat guy runs like a pro football player. I don't think Carella ran ten yards before pulling up Rocky was so far ahead.

Sorry to say that was the high point for Mataya dealing with Carella. Carella beat him for like $30,000.00 over the next few nights.

As you probably know Mac, alot of them huge linemen in pro football run some very impressive 40 yard times, hard to believe someone that big can run a 5 something!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you probably know Mac, alot of them huge linemen in pro football run some very impressive 40 yard times, hard to believe someone that big can run a 5 something!

Yea, the sign was like 50 yards I would guess. If they ran around the block Carella probably would have won. That same stop sign DiLiberto would bet on hitting with a rock. It was amazing throw a rock like 50 yards and hit a stop sign. DiLiberto was good at throwing stuff. I never knew what the trick was with his throwing stuff, why he could do it.

One night he was going to bet a basketball player he could throw a basketball farther then him. The guy didn't bet but I am sure Danny would have somehow won. This also resulted in an argument when Danny told the guy, who is like 12 inches taller then Danny. "You know, there is another sport we can play". The guy got the hint and calmed down.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've shared this story before.

I'd rather not name names, but those who regularly frequented the Golden Q in Elmhurst, NY in the early 1980's will already know this story.

A fairly well-off Chinese fellow who owned a nice little restaurant in Chinatown gambled for about thirteen hours against one of the regular action players there in what I seem to recall was 1982. It started out for 1,000 a set, but the stakes got higher and higher, and before long the game was race to seven 9-ball for 10,000 a set. By sunrise, the Chinese fellow was stuck over 60,000 and was nearly out of money. He wasn't giving up yet, however, and asked for a double or nothing game. Not too surprisingly, his opponent protested that he had nothing left to bet with. The Chinese fellow said "How about if I put up my restaurant in Chinatown?" Sure enough, the wager was accepted, and sure enough the fellow lost his restaurant! It was quite painful to watch. By the end of the night, the fellow had lost 60,000 and a restaurant worth the same.

In short, the weirdest stake I've ever seen played for is "one Chinese restaurant."

The weirdest bets I've seen:

1. Abe Rosen, a grand old man of pool, and a mentor to Johnny Ervolino, used to ask for 99 on the wire in a straight pool race to 100 as well as a provision that there would be no deductions for his scratches. The catch was that Abe shot every shot with the sharp end of a pencil, so he couldn't hit the cue ball very far.

2. Larry Lisciotti was always happy to bet you that you couldn't drink a gallon of milk and go an hour without vomiting.
Back around 1970-71 Detroit Whitey came into the Family Fund Center in Denver. Action was slow and it got late.
He drove an old pickup tuck with a cmper shel on it and filled with dogs. Llate that night all the bs bagan and he agreed to perform oral sex on one of his female dogs for I think $25.
He went out to his truck, got the dog and set her up on the billiard table and wwent to work.
It was the weirdest, sickest thing I ever saw and nearly puked. I was very concerned why I would stick around and witness such an event/.
I think, I think SJD was there at the time??

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back around 1970-71 Detroit Whitey came into the Family Fund Center in Denver. Action was slow and it got late.
He drove an old pickup tuck with a cmper shel on it and filled with dogs. Llate that night all the bs bagan and he agreed to perform oral sex on one of his female dogs for I think $25.
He went out to his truck, got the dog and set her up on the billiard table and wwent to work.
It was the weirdest, sickest thing I ever saw and nearly puked. I was very concerned why I would stick around and witness such an event/.
I think, I think SJD was there at the time??

Did she finish?

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I may have mentioned this in some earlier post, but Imma tell a bit more about this bet, which is easily the weirdest bet Ive ever made in or out of a pool hall.

I once played a guy a race to 5 in 9-ball for a goats head. Not a stuffed head, but a goats head... well it seemed like bet at the time. Don't you judge me.

Copperas Cove Texas, little ways outside Fort Hood where I was stationed. Just back from the field 45 glorious days at the national training center in Eastern California for the third time in four months. I was a little surly and needed to blow off some steam because everyone on the planet was stupid at the time and there was real potential for me to start killing until they were all dead. So the logical ting to do was to drive to the pool hall (Stix) and do what I loved until they kicked me out.

There was a GIGANTIC human being we all called (ironically) Big Man. He would always call me girls names and tell me I smelled like feet and fish. I loved him bc he hardly ever won and always played for money. Six hours into races and he announces that my parents were never married to all assembled and that I didn't have the balls to play for real money. So I grabbed my balls and said RACE TO 5 for 500! (400 of it was his), and everyone collectively went "wooooooo" bc it was likely the biggest game there in years.

Big Man seemed shaken and stammered all he had was 200 and a goats head. I was so in the moment of pure unadulterated high-rolling action, and about 6 beers and half bottle of Johnny Walker that I demanded he post the 200 and the head immediately... which he did to a chuckling hall owner. We lagged, he lost, I smashed him into the earth 5 to 1 and collected my 200 and head. Never saw Big Man again and PCS'd to Korea 3 months later.

I honestly do not remember what happened to the goats head.

Lesh