So much for ivory......

Tittyhooked

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Per Joe Barringer's email blast........."According to this document, you cannot sell anything containing ivory between states. So, if you have an ivory pool cue in Florida it has to remain in Florida, forever. You can sell pre ban ivory within each state and that's it. In-other-words you can buy & sell within your own state as long as it is pre ban (June 1989) Ivory."

Kot_Bigemot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That just sucks! I love my ivory ferrules. Can you imagine how expensive they will get now?
That guy has to go. I almost feel like getting a previous moron back to WH.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Fish and Wildlife Service has already stated they won't seek to prosecute individuals selling ivory trinkets, etc. Instead they will target its law enforcement efforts towards organized traffic rings that profit from the illicit trade.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Looks like another boiler plate Gov. RULE being created and imposed without allot of thought and planning again and again.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not a huge fan of ivory anything and I think it's a shame what some have done in destroying these magnificent animals.

With that said this action by our president is just another example of government gone wild. For law abiding citizens this effectively devalues their property by limiting their ability to trade openly for fair market value. Unless one is willing to break the law of course and we all know what narcotics laws have done to the value of a plant.

This administration makes me sick and their reign can't end fast enough.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Fish and Wildlife Service has already stated they won't seek to prosecute individuals selling ivory trinkets, etc. Instead they will target its law enforcement efforts towards organized traffic rings that profit from the illicit trade.

If you think you can trust the government go ask an American Indian.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Ivory Ban

The "strategy" sheet is really just alot of action words and talking points. (encourage, promote, strengthen, etc) Does anyone have a copy of the bill where this rule is taken from?

Significantly Restrict Domestic Resale of Elephant Ivory: We will finalize a proposed rule that will reaffirm and clarify that sales across state lines are prohibited, except for bona fide antiques, and will prohibit sales within a state unless the seller can demonstrate an item was lawfully imported prior to 1990 for African elephants and 1975 for Asian elephants, or under an exemption document.

I am not a die hard Ivory guy but I do think that the enforcement of these kinds of bans is just more government bs. The manpower and funds needed versus the results are nominal for the interstate ivory trade. International might be a different story.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Will the post office, which is broke now, hire more people to inspect every single package shipped between states for ivory in them? I don't think this will happen, but with the current POTUS you can never tell because money is no object.

This should not mean anything to us pool players at all.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Per Joe Barringer's email blast........."According to this document, you cannot sell anything containing ivory between states. So, if you have an ivory pool cue in Florida it has to remain in Florida, forever. You can sell pre ban ivory within each state and that's it. In-other-words you can buy & sell within your own state as long as it is pre ban (June 1989) Ivory."

But according to the document the seller must be able to prove it was pre ban ivory even for an in state sale. That's a heavy burden for the average Joe trying to sell a cue.

"Significantly Restrict Domestic Resale of Elephant Ivory: We will finalize a proposed rule that will reaffirm and clarify that sales across state lines are prohibited, except for bona fide antiques, and will prohibit sales within a state unless the seller can demonstrate an item was lawfully imported prior to 1990 for African elephants and 1975 for Asian elephants, or under an exemption document."

When will they legalize freedom once again?

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "strategy" sheet is really just alot of action words and talking points. (encourage, promote, strengthen, etc) Does anyone have a copy of the bill where this rule is taken from?

Significantly Restrict Domestic Resale of Elephant Ivory: We will finalize a proposed rule that will reaffirm and clarify that sales across state lines are prohibited, except for bona fide antiques, and will prohibit sales within a state unless the seller can demonstrate an item was lawfully imported prior to 1990 for African elephants and 1975 for Asian elephants, or under an exemption document.

I am not a die hard Ivory guy but I do think that the enforcement of these kinds of bans is just more government bs. The manpower and funds needed versus the results are nominal for the interstate ivory trade. International might be a different story.

Agreed. There are a lot of laws on the books that are not enforceable at a practicable level.

It is going to make a lot of us "outlaws" though :)

Lou Figueroa

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
When does it take effect

Has anyone seen a designated date for when this is going to be taking effect? Last thing I want to do is get stuck sitting on a bunch of inventory and be stuck with no market.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just spoke with Scott at Pechauer. He said he thought this was a strategy at this point & wasn't sure anything was signed into law. I asked him about the ivory content in his cues & he said that Ivory was all pre-ban. And he said if needed, we could get a statement to that fact.

cornerstone

Psalm 91:15
Silver Member
they are just making a huge black market and prices will skyrocket! look what happened with ar-15 and ammo clips

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does this work exactly? I know I can't sell a cue with ivory in it and ship to an address outside of my state but what if I took my cue to a trade show in another state and sold it person to person? I'm sure that is still against the rules somehow but if I'm not shipping it and if it is ok to travel with it, how would I get caught?

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
they are just making a huge black market and prices will skyrocket! look what happened with ar-15 and ammo clips

So for someone who has some cues with ivory, that can't demonstrate that its preban, how does this make their cues more valuable? To me, it makes them worth nothing to anyone but me. I can't sell out of State period and I can't sell within State since I can't demonstrate it being preban.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Until a law is passed, my understanding is that it's status quo right now. What this may do is put guys like Warther out of business. And by out of business, I mean he might sell out everything he's got in his warehouse by the end of this week. As proposed, you'll still be able to order a cue from a maker, you'll just have to go there to pick it up in person. Everything ivory that's used in cues now anyways is legal pre-ban ivory, with the correct paperwork. Cuemakers should be getting (or are definitely able to get) the origin documents if they purchase from legit sources like Warther.

I'm sure there will be more to come on this down the road....think of this as just the first chapter of a book.