Black Marks On New Blue Simonis Cloth

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
So one of my local pool rooms just made the upgrade to blue simonis on their (Valley) barboxes. After just 2 days, there's a bunch of a black marks all over the cloth. At first, I blamed the balls being dirty, though they were cleaned with the new cloth (don't know if the ball return rails were cleaned or not). I later thought it might just be grease from people's hands (they do serve food and there's a fried chicken place next door that a lot of people bring over).

Someone said it might be dirt on the slate that's getting brought up from the glue.

Someone else said it was the (normal) dark blue master's chalk reacting with... something.

The room owner is pretty disappointed by this and is considering removing the blue already. Anyone have any other possible explanations for this type of quick/sudden staining (and maybe some great ways to clean the cloth)??

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
How big are the marks?

The only ones we've gotten are from cue tips driving into, or across, the cloth.

I hope you can keep the blue. It's so much easier to see the balls.

stljohnny

Silver Member
The marks are very small ... maybe around 1/2 inch for the larger ones. There's no uniform shape, but most are streak-like. So, the tip into the cloth could be an issue. Though, with few exception, everyone has some type of brown type (only a handful of us have black leather tips). The marks seem to be much more concentrated in the racking half of the table though - which lends credit to your experience.

I completely agree. I LOVE blue cloth. Especially with the "traditional" colored balls, you really do see them so much better.

Last edited:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Kamui black tips and similar tips may be the culprit here. I experienced this from a new black kamui that I installed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do the marks vacuum up? If so, they are probably chalk. Blue chalk looks dark on the bright blue cloth. Alternatively, take your finger, rub it in the chalk and apply it to the table. Same color as the marks?

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Do the marks vacuum up? If so, they are probably chalk. Blue chalk looks dark on the bright blue cloth. Alternatively, take your finger, rub it in the chalk and apply it to the table. Same color as the marks?

This would be my guess as well.. The blue chalk is much darker than the blue and after chalking up well then taking a shot, it will leave dark streaks... If it vacuums up, it's most likely the chalk..

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, that ugly blue gets uglier with age. Green was the color of choice for all these years for more than one reason. I understand using it for TV tables but after that it wears like white carpet.

stljohnny

Silver Member
This would be my guess as well.. The blue chalk is much darker than the blue and after chalking up well then taking a shot, it will leave dark streaks... If it vacuums up, it's most likely the chalk..

Nope, they don't disappear when you rub them and I'm told the owner tried to clean the cloth and they didn't come up. Though, I don't know what the method was, or what cleaning solution (if any) was used.

These are black - black marks though - not a darkish spot. It looks like a mechanic came straight from work and played pool ... on every table. :(

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post some pics please. Also, I bet the question would have a better chance of receiving an answer in the mechanics section. This mystery is intriguing.

stljohnny

Silver Member
Post some pics please. Also, I bet the question would have a better chance of receiving an answer in the mechanics section. This mystery is intriguing.

Tonight is my only "non-pool" commitment night ... but I will probably still try to get up there to grab some pics, cuz ... yeah, this is weird and I wanna do anything I can to help ensure the longevity of the blue cloth there.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Yup, that ugly blue gets uglier with age. Green was the color of choice for all these years for more than one reason. I understand using it for TV tables but after that it wears like white carpet.

My place has blue Simonis 860hr on all the tables, and it wears just fine. The tables and balls get cleaned 3 or 4 times a week depending on the volume of play, and I could EASILY get 2 years out of the cloth before requiring a recloth.. I usually get get them done about once every 12-14 months, but could very well get much longer out of them.. I just like to have tip top equipment, so I change em out more frequently..

I despise green cloth... :yikes:

Rain-Man

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another thought, is there somebody who likes to sharpie the sides of their tip playing on the tables?
Chuck

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put Simonis 860 HR on my table a few years ago and had exactly the same problem. My Kamui Black tip left black spots and lines on the tournament blue cloth. They faded after being brushed, but some became permanent marks.

Best,
Mike

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put Simonis 860 HR on my table a few years ago and had exactly the same problem. My Kamui Black tip left black spots and lines on the tournament blue cloth. They faded after being brushed, but some became permanent marks.

Best,
Mike

I put blue Simonis 860 HR on my table a few months ago and got black marks right away. It clearly was from the Kamui Black tips that I use. This is caused by drawing the cue but where the tip slides on the felt. Most of them come up with a vacuum unless you rub them into the cloth then part of it stays there.

Get somebody who uses Kamui black tips and have them draw with a slightly elevated butt and you will see black marks. When you jack up and draw (off an end rail for example) you will get black marks. When I had green Simonis 860 (not HR) it didn't leave marks.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I wonder why Kamui black tips would leave black marks on blue cloth and not on green cloth...

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have blue simonis and an Onyx tip and don't have marks on my table. I've dug into the cloth on shots where I need to get draw when the CB is near the rail and also run along the cloth when following through with draw shots.

I've got a Kamui SS on another cue, maybe I'll do a little experiment. :)

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently have 2 year old 860 Spruce color on my table. Whenever I replace it I've been thinking about getting 860 Tournament Blue. What brand/color of chalk does not leave a mess?

I use a Kamui medium regular tip, so I hope no black marks. But it would be a drag to have to inspect every friends cue that comes over. :confused: