Beards NY book launch

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Landed in NY tues night. Went to a yuppie pizza joint and got robbed. Wont make that mistake again. Got a bad steer. Too many good joints to be experimenting.

Took a cab out to Queens and Steinway Billiards. Great joint. All the tables going. Seen my old pal, Earl. He is the magoo there and the house celeb and pro. He again reaffirmed that he will attend my book launch thurs nite at the Hell's Kitchen restaurant. He is bringing the owner of Steinway's (Manny) with him.

Took Amtrak out there, still afraid to fly again. Brought my 2 grandkids with me 8 and 11 yrs old. Connected with my daughter (their mother) and old timer Little Frankie Filerino, who has been laying the groundwork for me here.

Will not dog it this time, at 11:30 this morn I will be in line at Katz's deli on the lower East Side for some doo dad corned beef. I will eat more pizza also, but only at the officially accredited places.

Their overall pizza is great here, but Chicago Italian sausage can give what they call Italian sausage here, the 7 and the break. Their key pizza meat is pepperoni. In Chicago, only tourists and suckers order pepperoni on their pizza.

Beard

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Pizza joints from a local fat guy:

Bleecker street pizza: Bleeker st. & S. 7th ave. Get the "grandma pizza"

2065.jpg

L & B spumoni gardens: 86th St. Bensonhurst, Brooklyn

two+slices2.jpg

SirFitzalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You only sticking to NYC or headed to other parts of NY?

"Seek not what you have not earned"

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First met you in '67 Freddie at Ye Billiard Den in West Hollywood.
Jimmy Caan, Phil Spector, Ed Kelly, Marvin Henderson, Danny Diliberto, Brooklyn Butch, Little Frankie, Cuban Joe, etc.
Those days Jay was still wearing his toupee.
I am so happy for you. You deserve it. Lot of guys pose as writers but you surely are the authentic.
Sussing the real from the fake.
If you got time head to New York Noodle Town on Bowery south of Canal in Chinatown.
They got the best Noodle soup and beef tendon and soft shell crabs.
Bravo Paisan!
Keone

Last edited:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Had the book launch last night. Attracted a heady mix of pool players, zillionaires and media folk. Bob Dylan's mgr was represented, the NY Times financial editor Ron Lieber( a classmate of my daughter), an English lord, the son of the Duke of some fukkin place, Phil Cappelle the pool bk writer, Earl Strickland and his girl friend, Rachel, pool girl players, Emily Duddy, and Alison Fischer, clothing mogul, Steve Israel, famous jewelry designer, Catherine Angel (who is Sicilian and from the Bronx) who I had a ball with. She wanted to fix me up with her mother. Fat chance of that, I told her the cut off line for me for companions was 40 - not that I have any takers anyway; a crew of Long Island's women of the upper class -- who I pulled aside and told dirty jokes to. And on and on.

The star of the ensemble was probably Mimi Van Rensselaer Strong, 90 years young and the most influential publishing agent in NY. She is part of the absolute upper crust of NY society. Her Dutch family got to America in 1600.
A charter member of the Knickerbocker Club, probably the most exclusive joint in America. Newly made billionaires need not apply.

She is the one that will determine where I will be able to go with my book. My daughter, my grandkids and I are invited over to her lodgings on Park Ave for drinks and a powwow today.

I personally, aint all that impressed by all this, can they shoot off a game ball is the extent of my interests, but my daughter has a book probably more to their liking that I want her to get off with. If it happens for me, so be it.

Meanwhile I will be glad to get out of here. You need to be a millionaire, at least, to live here. I just had 2 coffees this morning. $10. They were good, but $10? Breakfast at the Ace hotel where we are staying yesterday was $95 for 2 kids and 2 adults and my daughter only had coffee and a muffin.

Beard

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beard....sounds like a great time..good luck to you and your daughter with the ..hookup on Park Ave.

I'm still choking on my coffee and cleaning the screen and keyboard on my laptop. for this..'an English lord, the son of the Duke of some fukkin place'

as if you aren't...have fun, and give em hell

..somehow, I think your grandkids will remember this trip the rest of their lives...good job grampa

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I intend to find out the veracity of your claim today.

beard

Personally, I like Lombardi's in Little Italy or John's, near Times Square. Johns is an old converted church so it has a cool feel to it too (the Times Square location).

If you feel like going into Brooklyn, my favorite is Grimaldi's. IMO, one of the best.

Eric

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Freddy;

New York is nice for bagels.

If you want the best pizza, it's Chicago or New Haven.

You're only a short train ride from New Haven. ;)

If you ever find yourself up this way, I'll get you a pie from Modern Apizza or Frank Pepe's. You may noe want to go home. :thumbup:

That Bleeker Grandma one Andrew posted a pic of did look interesting, though. :smile:

Glad you're enjoying your book launch and networking. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Freddy;

New York is nice for bagels.

If you want the best pizza, it's Chicago or New Haven.

You're only a short train ride from New Haven. ;)

If you ever find yourself up this way, I'll get you a pie from Modern Apizza or Frank Pepe's. You may noe want to go home. :thumbup:

That Bleeker Grandma one Andrew posted a pic of did look interesting, though. :smile:

Glad you're enjoying your book launch and networking. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

A joint just opened in Chicago called Piece, it is New Haven style pizza, and I must admit that I loved it! My kinda pie. my kinda crust, a little thicker and a little chewier. Also Piece has the advantage of having access to Chicago Italian sausage. New York Italian sausage is generally hideous.

Beard

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
Congrats beard. I wish you only happiness. You are one of pool's treasures. Btw, that delayed stroke works. Thank you!!!!!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
What? That is NOT pizza. Don't start. Ild go to war over chicago vs new yawk pizza.

There is a difference between "pizza" and "casserole." The old world style -- like you see in the pic is pizza. What came to be Chicago pizza -- especially the deep dish stuff -- came from a casserole (and, of course, Chicagoans innate need to "one-up" New York ;) ).

Personally, I love both. But I appreciate both for what they are -- one's true pizza (which, the pizza that an Italian and Sicilian straight off the boat would make if you plopped him in a kitchen here). The other is more like a casserole.

-Sean

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
A joint just opened in Chicago called Piece, it is New Haven style pizza, and I must admit that I loved it! My kinda pie. my kinda crust, a little thicker and a little chewier. Also Piece has the advantage of having access to Chicago Italian sausage. New York Italian sausage is generally hideous.

Beard

Depends where you go, Freddie. Don't make assumptions because you've been to one or two places -- especially ones that your ritzy/glitzy friends dragged you to. (What yuppies think is good is quite different from what your average NYer thinks is good.)

There are small holes-in-the-wall shops in NY that make stuff that will knock your socks off. Stay away from "big names" if you can. The only exception is Katz's deli. You *DO* need to go there, to get the best Jewish deli you've ever had. The pastrami is to die for.

Wish I could've made it, but my Friday yesterday was very busy -- couldn't get away.
-Sean