Mosconi Cup, Team USA, the real problem still exists.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Name one pool player past or present that would make it on a current NFL team.

He can't. He's as delusional as they come. Football is more than run throw and catch. Can a pool player throw a football 70% as far as Joe Flaco, possibly. Could they get 70% of Chris Johnson's 4.2 40 time? Yes, 7.1 40 time is almost walking. Could a pool player catch 70% of Joe flaco's passes in a game, not a prayer. Can a football player make 70% of hangers, I'd bet some can.

I was a standout nose guard in high school and could have started at Akron U or played scout team at Ohio State and had zero shot at the nfl, I chose to quit midway through high school and just partied. Football is so much tougher than cj thinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: KRJ

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I think many of you underestimate how athletic the top pool players are these days. Several of us could play any pro football player an "all around" of games....they pick 5 and we pick 5......that would be fun to bet on.

Ok. I'll take Russell Wilson. My 5. Football, baseball, basketball, tennis, soccer. Name a pool player and your 5 and bet what you want. Remember, gotta be a sport not a game. (If you wear dress shoes to play it, it's not a sport).

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He can't. He's as delusional as they come. Football is more than run throw and catch. Can a pool player throw a football 70% as far as Joe Flaco, possibly. Could they get 70% of Chris Johnson's 4.2 40 time? Yes, 7.1 40 time is almost walking. Could a pool player catch 70% of Joe flaco's passes in a game, not a prayer. Can a football player make 70% of hangers, I'd bet some can.

I was a standout nose guard in high school and could have started at Akron U or played scout team at Ohio State and had zero shot at the nfl, I chose to quit midway through high school and just partied. Football is so much tougher than cj thinks.

Delusional would be a understatement but not at all surprising no one on this planet overestimate the ability of a pool player more than CJ does ,,, what he fails to take into consideration is many take up pool because they know that can't make the grade in the real sports world and pool is easy to pick up

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Well, I'm glad your favorite past time is posting on a pool forum about how bad pool is.....better call the coroner. :boring: Surely there's better things to do, isn't there?

Pool takes more skill to play than baseball, I've played both games a LOT and can say this with certainty and will debate it shot by shot with any living (or dead) human. Base ball is more popular, howver, if there's a "parallel universe" it's probably the exact opposite. LoL

WOW. No offense, but that is just plain silly.

That's the problem with you, you take everything out of context to try and win an argument.

I never said "how bad pool" is.... I just said it was "dead".... do you really wanna argue on that ??

And it appears we played the same sports, I also hold a black belt and I'm pretty sure I played at a higher level of baseball than you. I just don't go around telling everyone this in every other post I make ;) Oh, and the kicker is I'm also an advanced instructor with the ACS... lot of similarities.... (I mean other me than mentioning them every 3 seconds)

Riiiiight, the experts in sports, who ranked baseball the toughest.... even if you want to discount that maybe it's 2 or 3rd, could be a good debate between the top 3 toughest sports.

Heck, not too many guys can touch Chapman's 103 mph fastball.... I know, you probably could or did, or just didn't want the money and admiration....

And you played a lot of both sports, yet, you did NOT make it in baseball and become filthy rich ???

Go get any pool player and get them to play minor league ball speed, hell, get one that has not played baseball to play Division 3 college speed and I'll give you $100K for your efforts. Bet I can turn a few baseball players into pool shortstops, or even better right quick.

If baseball was easier, and pool players had any athletic skils, why in the hell would they not play an easier sport, that pays 100,000 times more ????

For the record, pool was ranked behind cheerleading and bowling. Heck, badmitton was not ranked all that high, but I still like that game too :)

If you fail 70% of the time in baseball, you are almost a lock to be in the HOF :)

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. I'll take Russell Wilson. My 5. Football, baseball, basketball, tennis, soccer. Name a pool player and your 5 and bet what you want. Remember, gotta be a sport not a game. (If you wear dress shoes to play it, it's not a sport).

How exactly would you determine a winner for team sports like football, baseball, and soccer in a one on one competition?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
How exactly would you determine a winner for team sports like football, baseball, and soccer in a one on one competition?

It will never happen so it really wouldn't matter, but games like "horse" in basketball or kicking fieldgoals in football...

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I seriously doubt that if that is correct! WIth the right amount of "juice" there's a lot of pool players that could run, throw and catch 70% as good as the pro football players. On the other hand I don't think the football players could ever reach 70% of the pro pool players.

I think many of you underestimate how athletic the top pool players are these days. Several of us could play any pro football player an "all around" of games....they pick 5 and we pick 5......that would be fun to bet on.

SVB weighs a buck fifty dripping wet. I wish I still did ;) He's one of the best pool players in the country, if not the best. He's seems like a terrific kid as well. And I"m a huge fan, love to watch him play.

But just on genetics alone, he could not play pro football, basketball, hockey, baseball, etc. Even if he had the genetics, he would need the speed (running) or hand speed (hitting), or the eyes? Funny, half of pro baseball players have something in common, do you know what it is? Do you know anyone in those pro sports who weighs a buck fifty ? anyone, anyone, bueller ?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB weighs a buck fifty dripping wet. I wish I still did ;) He's one of the best pool players in the country, if not the best. He's seems like a terrific kid as well. And I"m a huge fan, love to watch him play.

But just on genetics alone, he could not play pro football, basketball, hockey, baseball, etc. Even if he had the genetics, he would need the speed (running) or hand speed (hitting), or the eyes? Funny, half of pro baseball players have something in common, do you know what it is? Do you know anyone in those pro sports who weighs a buck fifty ? anyone, anyone, bueller ?

Spud Webb is 5'7" and weighs 133 pounds.....

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

and could jump over a house.

ChicagoRJ is wrong, Shane has the build that would work for many sports baseball, soccer, hockey. He also has put on a lot of muscle mass in recent years, he certainly weighs more than 150. But body type only gets you so far, you gotta have skill and ability. Apparently those sports don't require much according to CJ the talent scout.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

He does NOT play professional sports today. I'm sure if you look real close, you might be able to find one, if not two, in the big four sports.... maybe. That's 2 out of a few thousand.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
and could jump over a house.

ChicagoRJ is wrong, Shane has the build that would work for many sports baseball, soccer, hockey. He also has put on a lot of muscle mass in recent years, he certainly weighs more than 150. But body type only gets you so far, you gotta have skill and ability. Apparently those sports don't require much according to CJ the talent scout.

Didn't realize SVB is in his thirties now. But, take SVB in early 20's, about a buck fifty. Thus, there goes college, pro's, etc.

And yes, lots of big dudes that NEVER make it either because of their skills are just a fraction of a second to slow ;)

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ironically, people were singing billiard songs long before they were singing take me out to the ball game lol. Baseball is actually America's second pastime.

Nonetheless, baseball is a good sport to crossover from into billiards because baseball is not harsh on the body like say football or basketball.

In the past there has been many successful baseball players who also played top notch pool as well. Adrian Anson, Johnny Kling, Ora Morningstar, and of course Tom Foley; who was the first, second and third IL state billiard champion, who had his hands on every major billiard event in Chicago, and later went on to found the Chicago White Sox and the Cubs.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He does NOT play professional sports today. I'm sure if you look real close, you might be able to find one, if not two, in the big four sports.... maybe. That's 2 out of a few thousand.

He also represents a very very small percentage of what already is a very very small percentage ,,, chances of taking a pool player and training him to play that level is so minuscule you would need a scientific calculator to figure it out ,,
Since the eye hand skills of basketball player is already among elite status teaching them to play pool would be much easier ,, I really can't believe anybody would argue that fact

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Ironically, people were singing billiard songs long before they were singing take me out to the ball game lol. Baseball is actually America's second pastime.

Nonetheless, baseball is a good sport to crossover from into billiards because baseball is not harsh on the body like say football or basketball.

In the past there has been many successful baseball players who also played top notch pool as well. Adrian Anson, Johnny Kling, Ora Morningstar, and of course Tom Foley; who was the first, second and third IL state billiard champion, who had his hands on every major billiard event in Chicago, and later went on to found the Chicago White Sox and the Cubs.

As I sit here by my crutches awaiting my ortho appt on Monday for my knee evaluation to see if I will need surgery or not ;) Looks like pool is gonna quickly become my only hobby now :)

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He was an NBA starter for years. The fact that he does not play today is irrelevant. You take him in his prime and he would compete against today's stars. He played very well. Obviously guys that size are the exception, but they are out there.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
He was an NBA starter for years. The fact that he does not play today is irrelevant. You take him in his prime and he would compete against today's stars. He played very well. Obviously guys that size are the exception, but they are out there.

I agree. The guy was very good. But he was small, but could do something other small guys could not do. He was a freak athletically, and could dunk a baseketball. How many other guys 5'4" could do that ? He also had incredible speed. Speed is not something you can train for, either you have it or your don't. You can get a little better thru training, but a slow running athlete will NEVER be a fast athlete.

Banks

Banned
David Eckstein was 5'7" and 160. Again, an exception to the rule. The people that get that far despite their size have a tremendous amount of heart and talent. I began pool at 30, I'm now 40. I could probably play at a decent level in another 10 years. Think I'd be able to play football or baseball in the same way? Yeah, not happening.

FTR, linemen average some of the highest pay in the NFL. They're not even expected to touch the ball.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Take me out to the Pool Hall,
Take me out to the match.
Buy me some whiskey and co-ocaine
I don't care, I'm feelin' no pain.

'Cause it's shark, shark, shark the opponent
If we don't win it was fixed
'Cause it's one, two, three fouls you're out
at the old Pool Hall.

i want to thank you & One Stroke, cause i woke up singing this stupid song....
(KK9 loved the new lyrics!)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
i want to thank you & One Stroke, cause i woke up singing this stupid song....
(KK9 loved the new lyrics!)

yeah, that was good. But I wrote this one for you ;)

Take me out to the Pool Hall.
But hide your wallets from this crowd.

Buy me some chalk and fairy dust.
I don't care if I never go bust.

So it's dump, dump, dump the old shark.
If we don't win, I think I was the mark.

For it's one, two, three fouls you lose
Time to cry in your bottle of booze,
at the old pool hall.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Pedroia is short, but I expect he still is near 180 lbs, and has as much heart as anyone.

There is another young hotshot second baseman that is smaller than him too, the name escapes me. RJ will know.

There are a few examples of short football players, but they are all extremely solid.

And they are all better athletes than 99% of the pro pool players out there. 99.99%, beyond Earl.

Its a ridiculous argument. And solves nothing, even if there were merit to it. Which there isn't.