Mark Wilson is GREAT

NoNotta

Mark is great for the sport of pool. He will have players that can compete. They will represent themselves and who they are playing for with class. They will win and lose graciously. POOL NEEDS MORE MARK WILSON'S!!!

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Mark is great for the sport of pool. He will have players that can compete. They will represent themselves and who they are playing for with class. They will win and lose graciously. POOL NEEDS MORE MARK WILSON'S!!!

I agree, but that doesn't make every decision a correct one. I think Mark let personal feelings influence the selection process. I'm not saying we would win but choosing Schmidt and not even looking at MD deserves some skepticism. I'm not a MD hugger but I am aware of our Best players. I think Mark is great but the player selection is a little hard to understand .

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I agree, but that doesn't make every decision a correct one. I think Mark let personal feelings influence the selection process. I'm not saying we would win but choosing Schmidt and not even looking at MD deserves some skepticism. I'm not a MD hugger but I am aware of our Best players. I think Mark is great but the player selection is a little hard to understand .
Amen brother! Amen! Preach!

Kd

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think Mark Wilson is a good guy, but his method of just choosing a select 8 players and then locking everyone else out many months before the Mosconi Cup makes zero sense to me.

And just look at how his chosen few are performing, no use that they may all get along, they still need to play pool at a world class level.

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member

You can argue that and could have some evidence to back it up like some players might be better than the ones he picked. But I for one would not second guess Mr. Wilson. I think he has done a tremendous job and I hope he will continue next year. I heard him talk about their training sessions and how they were able to measure the players progress. It sounds like he has some really great ideas on how to manage this team and has confidence in what he is doing. I believe it is a job well done no matter how the results are at the end of the contest. And the result that has already been made is we are in the 4th day of the Cup and the USA still has a shot. Considering how strong the European team is I think that is very good.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why spend one second second guessing his selections? Would anybody question selecting Shane? Of course not. However, if it was known he was going to play the way he has, he'd have been left at home.

Consider this. If Shane had played like the best player in the world instead of how he has, you could easily argue for a 3 match swing. That would make it 8-7 in favor of the USA right now instead of 10-5. What would everybody be saying about his picks if that had happened? So how can people nitpick his choices when the one choice everybody would agree upon has completely shit the bed?

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why spend one second second guessing his selections? Would anybody question selecting Shane? Of course not. However, if it was known he was going to play the way he has, he'd have been left at home.

Consider this. If Shane had played like the best player in the world instead of how he has, you could easily argue for a 3 match swing. That would make it 8-7 in favor of the USA right now instead of 10-5. What would everybody be saying about his picks if that had happened? So how can people nitpick his choices when the one choice everybody would agree upon has completely shit the bed?

Good point

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Truer words have not been spoken.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second MD being there over John. Bergman has a beautiful game, but he and John seem to be the most uncomfortable in this stage.

Maybe John, Cory, and Bergman should have been part of the coaching staff...LOL :p

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All we know of Marks thinking is what he personally made public. We know very little else.
None of us were on a conference call or in the room where discussions or decisions were made prior to Dec.1

Boston$tyle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couldn't have picked the players any worse. Not being results oriented, but how were 2 of better rotation players all year MD/JS left off?? You can make arguments for any case but the bottom line is this-ITS about performance. I think the captain made the biggest mistake by not performing well in the beginning before anyone got a ball

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amen brother! Amen! Preach!

Kd

There is not a scintilla of evidence to back up anyone claiming Mark's personal feelings came into play. In fact, he told JB that he would look at him harder than anyone else because people would wonder if their history would unduly influence his choice.

As others here have testified, Mark's ethics are unimpeachable. And as someone who has known him for over 15 years, I can say that I doubt you could find a single individual, anywhere, who has known him, that would say anything different.

Lou Figueroa

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member

Surely you jest

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unlucky USA!
Played as a team and were competitive in ALL matches...
Please USA - Allow Mr. Wilson to employ a 3 year plan.
I foresee USA domination of the MC by 2016-17 under Mr. Wilson's leadership!
:thumbup:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
As others here have testified, Mark's ethics are unimpeachable. And as someone who has known him for over 15 years, I can say that I doubt you could find a single individual, anywhere, who has known him, that would say anything different.

I don't know the details but I found one... Jamison Neu.

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member

Here is the problem. You (not you specifically have no clue what the criteria was for the selection process. If you think it was solely winning, you would be wrong. This is a promoted event moreso than a competition. The task that Mark was handed from BH did not have winning as the primary goal. It is not my place to discuss those but people should be talking about last years event less about getting beat but more how they carried themselves. If you invested $$$ into an event where your income had no bearing on who won or lost but how well you can sell it to sponsors you might not make winning the priority to the person who hire to fix your weak leg.

This is also the reason MD was not on the team.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
Watched some the other day.

The soccer match demeanor is just dominant. What a distraction. It is ESPN on
steroids.

So much for using the name Willie Mosconi. His family should sue.

Doubtful if he were alive, he would participate.

The presentation of the sport is demeaned by all the noise.
I notice that snooker is not treated in a similar manner.

Perhaps Mark Wilson can recruit a deaf team.

:D

Last edited: