wow SVB forfeits match vs Alcano

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So purposely moving to the loser's bracket, where it's always more difficult to win a tournament, is a well calculated move?

I swear I lose brain cells every time I read one of your posts.

This is actually pretty common when players have each other's action in tournaments. The reasoning is the better player will be able to beat everyone on the loser's side and the weaker player may play well and continue on the winner's side. They both will finish higher on average and be able to split up more money. I think mostly this applies to when players are deeper in the tournament though.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Shane's decision to walk out was a message to Alcano (and anyone else) that if you are going to beat him, you have to earn it.

Looked more like a tantrum to me.

Certain rules may be nitty and unnecessary (and in my opinion this one definitely is) but it's still SVB's responsibility to play by the rules and not just quit when he gets penalised for not playing by them.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Shane won the previous rack and shot the 10ball in front of the same ref and nothing was said.

Honestly this is the nittiest shit rule in the world. I would have quit too. Calling the balls eliminates luck, no luck was involved here.

Forfeiting any match is rather inconsiderate and unfair to anyone who might have side action, or just came to the tournament to watch that match. Not particularly good for pool.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would have been different had it been called consistently. You don't call 2 or 3 and it's okay but on the last the ref decides to call it? Of course I'm a bit bias here but if you're going to be that nitty put a damn patch on the table and require the 10 ball to be patched.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no problem understanding Shanes decision to forfeit the match. The ref was being a douche, thats fine, but Alcanos gesture makes it clear he was on the referee's side. I think that was the drop for Shane.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Did the rules state that the 10 ball must be explicitly called? Otherwise I believe the WPA rule should be in effect. Also, if the rule was not enforced earlier in the game, I believe it was an inappropriate thing to start enforcing it midway through and on a super obvious shot to boot.

Anyway, call shot rules in rotation games are stupid and unnecessary. Call shot belongs in straight pool, banks and 8 ball. There is simply no need for it in rotation games IMHO. If you do decide to have a tournament with call shot, it should at least be call every ball, not just the 9 or 10 and straight in shots should not have to be verbally called. It is just insanity if 20+ tables of players shout out every one of their shots, which they will have to because nits will claim they didn't hear the call. Can you imagine 20 tables simultaneusly with this (I mean the play and the game is spectacular but all that shouting...distracting):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JCdJ08_M3Y

I just don't see why the WPA rules can't be followed in every tournament. Even if I don't like call shot in rotation (10-ball), at least the rules would be standardized. Snooker doesn't change its rules every tournament, nor should pool. Pick a rule set and stick with it. Otherwise situations like this will keep occuring over and over again. I hope that if I ever make it to one of these tourneys I will win or lose because of me or my opponents level of play, and not bs lawyer antics.

Last edited:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I highly doubt that Shane and Alcano are buddies.

Alcano is about the weirdest, demented Pinoy out there. For good luck this guy pulled all his teeth for Christ sake to be more like Efren. Must be on some wild shit to do that. I would bet Shane wants nothing to do with guys like Alcano.

You guys forgot, SVB and Alcano are buddies he sponsored him to US one time..and just moving to the other side of bracket is well calculated move..

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did the rules state that the 10 ball must be explicitly called? Otherwise I believe the WPA rule should be in effect. Also, if the rule was not enforced earlier in the game, I believe it was an inappropriate thing to start enforcing it midway through and on a super obvious shot to boot.

I went back and looked again because I watched it last night but I was pretty sure he hadn't called any of his previous 10 balls that set. His second win he kind of pointed it out but I didn't see a call at 49:53 or 1:11:54 and nothing was said.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is how the Filipino media (philboxing) reported it:

"Veteran Ronnie Alcano likewise created a major shakedown by beating the current three-time US Champion and World No. 3 Shane Van Boening, 5-3, in a match that ended prematurely.

With Alcano leading, 5-3, and Van Boening about to sink the "10" ball to narrow the gap, Van Boening made a foul shot by not signaling the pocket where he will sink the last ball. Upset and furious with his own rules infraction, Van Boening surrendered the match and later accepted his fault. He was relegated to the losers' bracket."

theres no bias in that report! hahahaha
well one thing for sure SVB was not "furious"

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
It's a long standing rule in call pocket games that if the shot is obvious (no kiss, carom, combination or bank) then there is no need to verbalize the call. Unless it was both specifically stated in the tournament rules that the call on the 10 must be verbalized AND that it had been consistently enforced that way throughout the match and tournament I do not blame SVB for being upset. I'd be ticked too especially if my previous wins in the match were ruled good without verbalizing the call on the 10 ball. Anyone that says, "Well we didn't know if Shane was shooting it in the side or corner." doesn't hold any sway with me. He shot the ball straight in. No way it was an accident.

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a move. If you are Alcano, you come to the table with the ten ball respotted. You call it in the side pocket. Then you roll it gently up the table and box it up in the jaws of the top corner pocket. Oops! I missed!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
wrong...

From the video I think there are two possible pockets that SVB could have sunk the 10 ball. And he did not call which one. Somebody made that rule it should be followed. Referees are more linient when there are no other possible pocket available but the obvious one, hence they were getting away for not calling the pocket. He should have not surrender the match. He traveled very far , he could have still made it and beat Alcano.

non obvious shots are banks caroms etc... a straight in shot whether there are multiple possible shots or not is OBVIOUS....

t was a bullshit move...

Jaden

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So purposely moving to the loser's bracket, where it's always more difficult to win a tournament, is a well calculated move?

I swear I lose brain cells every time I read one of your posts.

Every pro always look at the bracket and see which side that could afford them the best chance for the win, Alcano and SVB wants it all, and if he did not forfeit, he would have dumped anyway..

Plus you take life seriously, cool off man! or woman!

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 366618This is the statement Shane made on Facebook about what happened below

Unbelievable. Playing Ronnie Alcano. Had a straight in shot on ten. refree and Alcano told me that I had to call the pocket, and loss of game. Even though I rolled the ten ball in and it was obvious shot. Loss of game. I forfeited the match and walked out. Lol. It's funny how the this sport can create drama. But no biggie, still positive to move on to my next match. Need to win 2 more for final 32

Every table has a ref, it is serious business, he knew it, he got upset because they did not give a damn to who SVB was! , But again, SVB & Alcano had prior sponsorship agreement and weird things happen once in a while...!!

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is actually pretty common when players have each other's action in tournaments. The reasoning is the better player will be able to beat everyone on the loser's side and the weaker player may play well and continue on the winner's side. They both will finish higher on average and be able to split up more money. I think mostly this applies to when players are deeper in the tournament though.

Thank you, nine_ball6970;5000144,

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We don't know for absolute certain that there was a rule to explicitly call the 10-ball. I'd guess there was, because Ronnie was clearly calling his 10-balls, but if it was, it's a non-standard rule.

It's also clear that Shane didn't know about the rule, because he didn't call them in his other games. It's the player's responsibility to know the rules, but again we don't know for certain how the rules were communicated. I could see Shane running into trouble, between his hearing and the different language. If it wasn't written out, or if no one made sure he understood there was a non-standard rule, it could cause trouble for him.