wow SVB forfeits match vs Alcano

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have every right to not play in a tournament which has "garbage rules".

If a tournament director says you have to call the 10 ball to win the game then you should probably do that. Not blame your opponent who is playing by the rules if he calls you on it.

Why do people think they should only have to play by the rules they deem to be correct?

Good point, nine_ball.
Everyone has to play by the rules or get penalized.

I'm a huge SVB fan, but the boy didn't call the 10 ball.
Now let's move on.....

Last edited:

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
If the rules were that 10 ball should be called no matter how "obvious" the shot was then the ref. was right. Rules are rules and they need to be followed. It's like the 3 foul rule in the 9 ball(telling your opponent that he already has 2 fouls before he shoots his/her next shot).

There has been times when playing 8 ball where a general rule is that it's a call shot game, I have shot the 8 ball in my intended pocket but was called a foul because i didn't point out the pocket before shooting. It has happened to me a couple of times, and that's why i have made it an habit to at least call the money ball each and every time when calling a call shot game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the rules are to call the 10 ball, then you are open to this move. It's the players responsibility to know the rules. ...

And when the tournament is using non-standard rules -- and for 10 ball calling obvious 10 balls is non-standard -- the officials are responsible for providing a written list of exceptions to the players. As noted above, explanations given orally are often not sufficient.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have every right to not play in a tournament which has "garbage rules".

If a tournament director says you have to call the 10 ball to win the game then you should probably do that. Not blame your opponent who is playing by the rules if he calls you on it.

Why do people think they should only have to play by the rules they deem to be correct?

To each their own, I would be ashamed to win like this but for some I guess it's winning at any cost. It's irregardless of whether it's SVB, Alcano, or the local shortstop, it's a nit move. I understand it's in the rules but most people can live in a society where we can think for ourselves and don't need rules for everything in life. Common sense can generally override most rules.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree for the most part..,

And when the tournament is using non-standard rules -- and for 10 ball calling obvious 10 balls is non-standard -- the officials are responsible for providing a written list of exceptions to the players. As noted above, explanations given orally are often not sufficient.

The rules change all the time and that's what players meetings are for. I have played no-9 or 10Ball on the break, no-9 or 10Ball in the corner pockets where the ball are racked, but fine in any other pocket, all ball fouls, cue ball only fouls, break from the box only, break from any place behind the head string, the new break rule of three balls past the head string(bad rule).

The point being that its not poor sportsmanship on the part of the incoming player to point out a rule infraction. Yes he could have said no big deal, but this is business, this is how he makes a living and the checks can be few and far between at this level, this aint some regional tournament with two A-level players and a bunch of C-level players.

Its business and he played by the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSHVp6VDGR0

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've only played in a few pro tournaments but at the players meetings the rules are usually gone over during that time and they were orally presented not written i.e. US Open and Derby City Classic. I've watched scores of pro events and if they are played under a sanctioning body then those rules which are written somewhere are used. It's one of the big issues with the sport, it isn't very well organized, different rules, etc. Alcano knew the rule because he was calling obvious 10 ball shots. It might have been lost to Shane in translation but it doesn't matter because it was called and enforced.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each their own, I would be ashamed to win like this but for some I guess it's winning at any cost. It's irregardless of whether it's SVB, Alcano, or the local shortstop, it's a nit move. I understand it's in the rules but most people can live in a society where we can think for ourselves and don't need rules for everything in life. Common sense can generally override most rules.

It isn't about winning or losing. I guess it comes from my background of playing golf before learning to play pool. In golf, we call penalties on ourselves. Nobody questions the rules. You just play by them. If there are local rules, then you use those in addition to the normal rules of the game. I have absolutely no problem calling fouls on myself but will also call them on someone else if he won't do it himself or didn't know. I am not saying Shane intentionally didn't call the 10 ball but he definitely should not have unscrewed when someone else called him on it.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Shane was watching Ronnie play he doesn't have much of an excuse. Ronnie called every single ten ball before he made it from the beginning of the match. He also looked at the ref while calling a pocket. Shane could either think Ronnie is showboating by calling his pocket on routine shots on the 10 ball or that it is a rule for this particular tournament.

The only thing I disagree with is the fact that Shane made a couple of 10 balls before the rule was enforced. I think the referee should have warned him or enforced it after the first time he failed to call his pocket.

Whether you agree with the rule or not, it is obvious that calling the 10 ball was a rule in this tournament. Hopefully Shane will call the 10 ball during the rest of his matches.

Yeah, I just went through and watched the whole thing and Ronnie did call every 10-ball, even a 2-foot straight-in shot into a side pocket. Also, on Shane's 2nd 10-ball into the lower right pocket he actually did indicate with his stick that it was the intended pocket, and that one was very obvious as well (see frame capture below).

So now I don't know what to think about it. The video has no sound, maybe it's possible that Alcano had mentioned it to him previously and let a few slide before he got irritated with it. At any rate, it seems to me that Ronnie knew the intended 10-ball pocket had to be verbally or physically indicated, and that Shane also knew or he wouldn't have pointed to the corner pocket on his easy hanger.

Or maybe I should have just refrained from judgment since I didn't have all the facts.

Attachments

• SVB points at corner pocket.jpg
    SVB points at corner pocket.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 347

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were driving 56 MPH in a 55 MPH speed zone….. would you happily accept your 100 dollar ticket because "its the rules"?

Sometimes… the spirit of the law is more important than the letter of the law…. this should have been one of those situations……

The ref should have simply issued a verbal warning after this shot.. no harm no foul. Thats pretty simple.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
As a player in events from time to time, I would like to comment. First, this is the second time Alcano pulled this stunt, Robb Saez at a tournament in New Orleans was the first victim. Second, the 130K added money in the Philippine economy is equivalent to a 1 million dollar added event here in the USA. So, pulling this kind of stuff is not unexpected. If the money is right, boy I could see some real "FANGS" come out. At Derby with less money at stake, Hennessee has been witnessed pulling shark move after shark move for $100 entry fee and $10,000 added. I can only imagine a million dollar event.

Manny will hear about what happened and I would wait and see his response or feelings about it. It is his event!

KD

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I decided that I had enough free time to watch this watch. I got to halfway in rack 5 with Alcano up 3-1. I noticed that Shane was hardly ever calling a shot. The ref stood there and was watching other tables half the time. No wonder Shane unscrewed and forfeited, that ref is an idiot.

liakos

Banned
Ya know, if there are tournament rules,,,, people need to follow them,PERIOD! I guess if your SVB, you can do what you want when you want how you want! That's all fine and dandy, but I'll say this, SVB is lucky I'm not one of his sponsors!!!

He would get a public reprimand, and I would take a yr off his sponsorship for acting unsportsmanlike! Not sure about you, but if I'm a business and I'm sponsoring you, I expect 2 things, play your best and act accordingly! Unscrewing after a mistake on your own part only shows me your a little *****!

Yes he plays incredible, not talking about his game! Talking about his behavior! Ain't cool in my book!

And I like Shane!!!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I decided that I had enough free time to watch this watch. I got to halfway in rack 5 with Alcano up 3-1. I noticed that Shane was hardly ever calling a shot. The ref stood there and was watching other tables half the time. No wonder Shane unscrewed and forfeited, that ref is an idiot.

The standard rule in call-shot games is that the shot needs to be called only when it is not obvious. That would be why obvious shots before the 10-ball were not being called in this event. But it seems that this event had an additional rule requiring overt calling of the 10-ball. If so, Shane should have known about it -- from the players' meeting, or from written materials, or from his friend in the blue shirt, or from the referee the first time Shane failed to call it. This was Shane's second match of the event; what happened regarding this rule in his first match?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Next time Ronnie plays in a U.S tournament I hope the ref treats him in kind. Johnnyt

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I think we all know Shane meant to bank the 10 five rails, but then miscued and slowly rolled it into the corner. Good call by the ref and Alcano, absolutely.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya know, if there are tournament rules,,,, people need to follow them,PERIOD! I guess if your SVB, you can do what you want when you want how you want! That's all fine and dandy, but I'll say this, SVB is lucky I'm not one of his sponsors!!!

He would get a public reprimand, and I would take a yr off his sponsorship for acting unsportsmanlike! Not sure about you, but if I'm a business and I'm sponsoring you, I expect 2 things, play your best and act accordingly! Unscrewing after a mistake on your own part only shows me your a little *****!

Yes he plays incredible, not talking about his game! Talking about his behavior! Ain't cool in my book!

And I like Shane!!!

I highly suggest you watch the entire match. Shane hardly ever actually called a pocket unless he was having to make a choice. Watch rack 5 take place. Shane jumps the one in without calling it. Shoots the two without calling it. Shoots the 3 without calling it. Basically Shane didn't get called on his previous 'fouls' with the ref watching. Why suddenly on the 10 ball?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Want to know what's wrong with pool? Just read this thread for one of the reasons. A bunch of amateurs calling a pro a nit because he followed the rules. Other amateurs saying it's a B.S. rule, so it doesn't even need to be followed. Guys condemning the one that acted with professionalism while freeing the one that acted unprofessional from any need to actually act professional.

Bottom line is- you want to be a professional, then act like one and learn the rules and don't walk away when you get called on them. I greatly admire SVB, but he was totally in the wrong on this one. It happens.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if he was calling his shot in win 2 or if he was just sighting down his cue. I don't know why he would call that one but not the first or third. Either way nothing was said in his first win or his third win and that's my biggest gripe with it. If you're going to call it then call it every time or don't call it at all.

As for Alcano calling all of his 10 balls, someone correct me if I'm wrong but most of the videos I watch, it's pretty common for someone from the Philippines to call the money ball no matter the game even if it is obvious.

I understand it must have been part of the rules, but you can't tell me that rule was made for instances like this. If you are going to be that strict about it I guess it's time to bring out the patches again. Tournaments around here you are supposed to patch the 8 but 99% of the time people don't. I've called 1 guy on not patching it and that's only because he did it to me the first game.

The only way I can understand people agreeing that this was an okay thing to do is if you actually believe Shane was going for the side pocket and missed so bad he made it in the corner....