wow SVB forfeits match vs Alcano

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Not exactly...

That's a pretty distorted view of looking at things. You say the ref should have allowed a free pass, then state that he allowed several free passes. So, when the ref does finally do his job, he's at fault for finally doing what he is supposed to do??

Ever get stopped for speeding, and then trying the excuse of telling the cop that you speed through that area all the time, and he never ticketed you, so he shouldn't give you one now that he caught you? That's exactly what you are saying the ref should do.

Shane wasn't being punished for the ref's mistakes at all. In fact, he benefited from the refs mistakes. He got punished for HIS mistake that he finally got called on. Big, big difference.

If you passed a cop every day for a week and he waved to you each time while you had your cruise control set to 3 over the speed limit and on the fourth time you pass him, you see lights go on... you might then say, well I have done the same thing all week and this is the first time you've said anything, can't you let me off with a warning???

Jaden

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this game should have been given to Shane out of respect but apparently there is some bad blood there so I don't suppose he should have expected anything other than that result given the personal history. That being said, you don't really punish your opponent by walking away from the match. If you're SVB you stay there and punish him by running out the set. The only thing walking away does is leave some doubt as to who would have won. Sounds like it wasn't going Shane's way for once.

Out of respect? Respect for what exactly?? Because he is a great player? In that case, why make him shoot that shot at all? Respect because he has a lot of fans so he doesn't need to follow the same rules everyone else has to??

I don't understand what respect you are talking about.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I repeat POOL IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A MEMORY TEST! The ball was made in the intended pocket CLEARLY. A ref was there to verify it. It's a NIT MOVE whoever pulled it.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you passed a cop every day for a week and he waved to you each time while you had your cruise control set to 3 over the speed limit and on the fourth time you pass him, you see lights go on... you might then say, well I have done the same thing all week and this is the first time you've said anything, can't you let me off with a warning???

Jaden

Sure, you can question it, as Shane did. But, to think you now have some kind of right to not get a ticket, well.....you would be very wrong.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a pretty distorted view of looking at things. You say the ref should have allowed a free pass, then state that he allowed several free passes. So, when the ref does finally do his job, he's at fault for finally doing what he is supposed to do??

Ever get stopped for speeding, and then trying the excuse of telling the cop that you speed through that area all the time, and he never ticketed you, so he shouldn't give you one now that he caught you? That's exactly what you are saying the ref should do.

Shane wasn't being punished for the ref's mistakes at all. In fact, he benefited from the refs mistakes. He got punished for HIS mistake that he finally got called on. Big, big difference.

I don't think that example fits very well. It would be more like an ump giving the corner of the plate all day in baseball then calling the exact same pitch a ball to walk in the winning run. I realize it was Shane that gave up the win and I don't like it but it would have been completely different if it was an early game in a set compared to a mid-late game.

Shane was wrong. Maybe once he cools off he will admit it.

I wonder if all the defenders here would be so vehement if it were Earl or Dechaine. ...bias is impossible to eliminate. This is exactly why we need rules.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
That is not what Shane said. He said the ref and Alcano told him he had to call the ball.
This is critical for me? Was the foul call initiated by the ref or Alcano? Big difference in situations. One scenario is unethical! The other scenario is accidental or arbitrary enforcement by ref!

This paints a different picture IMO!

The ref could be biased???

This raises alot more questions and concerns.

Kd

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member

I wonder if all the defenders here would be so vehement if it were Earl or Dechaine. ...bias is impossible to eliminate. This is exactly why we need rules.

We also need referees to consistently enforce the rules.

This situation is the epitome of "grey area": inconsistently enforcing a non-standard rule.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a player in events from time to time, I would like to comment. First, this is the second time Alcano pulled this stunt, Robb Saez at a tournament in New Orleans was the first victim. Second, the 130K added money in the Philippine economy is equivalent to a 1 million dollar added event here in the USA. So, pulling this kind of stuff is not unexpected. If the money is right, boy I could see some real "FANGS" come out. At Derby with less money at stake, Hennessee has been witnessed pulling shark move after shark move for $100 entry fee and $10,000 added. I can only imagine a million dollar event.

Manny will hear about what happened and I would wait and see his response or feelings about it. It is his event!

KD

Why are we blaming Ronnie?
It isn't a stunt by him.
The referee called this infraction.
Ronnie had nothing to do with it!

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In this instance, what exactly did this rule accomplish? What wrong was righted?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this instance, what exactly did this rule accomplish? What wrong was righted?

Why do you feel that some "wrong" had to be righted for the rule to be in place. Also, why do you feel that some rules are fair game to be ignored? Why do some have such problems with simply playing by the pre-established rules of the game??

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Naji,

I know English is not your first language and I know you love pool. I also know that we are all not alike, that our perspectives on playing pool may not align themselves perfectly and accept all of that but I will not accept your comment that if Shane did not forfeit, he would have dumped anyway.

Whether or not your comment was a "little joke" or not means little to me.

The fact is your comment that Shane would have dumped anyway is very shallow.

A responsible forum member would delete that comment. When you do, so will I.

JoeyA

It is easier bracket for him to come back from the looser side !

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
funny svb fouls, gets called forfeits match then gets support
doggs his brains out mosconi and still gets treated as an untouchable
CSI, gets eliminated then gets back in based on favoritism, but that was fine too

embarrassing he can do no wrong

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
funny svb fouls, gets called forfeits match then gets support
doggs his brains out mosconi and still gets treated as an untouchable
CSI, gets eliminated then gets back in based on favoritism, but that was fine too

embarrassing he can do no wrong

Your reading the same forum as I am? SVB gets plenty of grief, deserved or undeserved.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... It might have been lost to Shane in translation but it doesn't matter because it was called and enforced.
It was eventually called according to the above comments. If the ref was ever going to call it, he should have called it on the first occurrence.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who established them for this tourney? Why does every tourney feel the need to change the rules to fit their venue?

Don't know, and don't know. I also feel that is one of the things holding pool back. How can it possibly be taken seriously when those in charge can't even agree on a standard set of rules??

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you feel that some "wrong" had to be righted for the rule to be in place. Also, why do you feel that some rules are fair game to be ignored? Why do some have such problems with simply playing by the pre-established rules of the game??

I was responding to the statement of "this is exactly why we have rules." So in that context, yes a wrong had to be righted because it was insinuating that a wrong had occurred.

I get you're on the side of "these are the rules everyone plays by", and no, he didn't follow the rules. But, it's rather difficult to converse if you want to stand in the corner with your ears plugged screaming "BLAH BLAH BLAH, HE DIDN'T FOLLOW THE RULES, BLAH BLAH BLAH, HE DIDN'T CALL THE 10 BALL, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

What is the point of the rule? To make sure people don't get lucky and can't cheat, that is my opinion anyway. I fail to see where this enforcing this rule was useful in this instance. I'm a spirit of the rules guy, I'm not saying that you're wrong cause clearly you aren't. It's the rules, but is it in the best interest of the game here?

GDC

GlenC
Silver Member
Here is something that you see in tennis many times. Your opponent hits a winner and the ref calls it out. But, you saw the ball clearly land in. The rules are that the refs call is what counts. Time and again, I have seen the best sportsmen in tennis give their opponent the point (here is an example --> http://www.voanews.com/content/a-13-2005-05-05-voa77-66923382/263806.html).

Alcano, as a sportsman, should have given him that game. He can do whatever he wants and the rulebook will support him, but it tells me a lot about his character.

Last edited: