one pocket question

sirloin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i got a question that came up in a game. My opponent shot and made a ball in my pocket. I owed 1 ball as I scratched on the break. Does the ball I pull out of my pocket count as my owed ball or do I still owe one after spotting that ball for his scratch?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i got a question that came up in a game. My opponent shot and made a ball in my pocket. I owed 1 ball as I scratched on the break. Does the ball I pull out of my pocket count as my owed ball or do I still owe one after spotting that ball for his scratch?

as long as he didnt scratch or foul on the shot he shot
it counts as your owed ball and spots up

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any balls that go in your pocket legally count for the guy playing on the table that is third from the door. The back door. If he is not playing 1p, then you have to sing happy birthday to the houseman.

Of course it is yours and you have to spot any owed balls at the end of the turn that they are made. Who makes the balls is not important, where they go is.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry He scratched and made a ball in my pocket.

if he scratched
then he owes one
the ball in your pocket spots up
but you do not get credit for the ball
a common move in one pocket is
there is only one ball on the table
score is 7-7
you each need one
his ball is hanging in his pocket
you pocket his ball and follow the cue ball into the same pocket to scratch
he does not win the game
the ball you made for him comes up and you have to spot one for your scratch
so now the score is 7-6 him
there are 2 balls on the spot
and its his shot from behind the head line
got it??:D

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
read the above again as i had to edit it
i made you the shooter making his ball and scratching

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
and ... don't forget a scenario where the score is 7 to 7 and your opponent has the last ball hanging in his pocket. It's your turn and you are at an angle you can't follow the CB into his pocket which would result in spotting that ball and one of yours ... you can accomplish the same result by pocketing his ball in his pocket and jumping the CB off the table.

( when we play this rule, especially in our homes with breakable objects nearby, often we will just call, I'm jumping .... and don't actually go through the motion of making the CB jump off the table. )

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and ... don't forget a scenario where the score is 7 to 7 and your opponent has the last ball hanging in his pocket. It's your turn and you are at an angle you can't follow the CB into his pocket which would result in spotting that ball and one of yours ... you can accomplish the same result by pocketing his ball in his pocket and jumping the CB off the table.

( when we play this rule, especially in our homes with breakable objects nearby, often we will just call, I'm jumping .... and don't actually go through the motion of making the CB jump off the table. )

You pussies

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member

And just to be clear, if you make a ball for your opponent, it ONLY comes up if you either pocket scratch or the cue ball comes off the table -- for other fouls (such as double hits, pushes, etc), the ball stays down for the opponent (but is treated as a foul for the shooter of course).