★ world 9 ball championship ★ qatar★

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Common theme in qualifiers as in common in most major tourneys is the domination of the Filipinos and Taiwanese
Except for upset of Chao and the non-appearance (giving his opponent walkover ) of Ramil Gallego , all the Filipino and Taiwanese are dominant. All 12 qualifiers in makn draw will likely be split between them
Party pooper is Yukio who deserves to qualify this year , I believe he did not quality last year:grin:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, tonight I watched my first match of the 2015 WPA World 9-Ball Championship -- Ignacio defeated Cuartero 7-3. Ignacio is an amazing player (as we have seen previously).

But I was disappointed to see that they again are racking the 1-ball on the spot on a racking template and allowing the break to be from anywhere behind the line. The result is that the wing ball is pocketed nearly every time. Last year, for the 15 Stage 2 matches for which I posted stats, at least one ball was made on the break in 98% of the games (although 9% of the breaks were fouled or illegal, netting an 89% success rate). And, because of the high breaking success rate, 35% of the games were B&R's. [The match I mentioned above was 100% successful breaks and 40% B&R.]

Is that really how we want our world championship? I have mixed feelings, at best. Any breaking advantage of the great breakers (including Van Boening and Dechaine) is largely negated. Everyone is just trying to play for position on the 1-ball after the break.

Kudos to Kozoom again this year for the quality of the stream and for providing a choice of multiple matches to watch.

anbukev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the wing ball going in almost on every break, it's a good thing they are using alternate break. I think they are also employing the 'three point rule' whereby for a break shot to be deemed legal, three balls had to either be pocketed or pass the head string or a combination thereof. This is to ensure there is no soft breaking and getting out every time. It all comes down to who can hold their serve.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With the wing ball going in almost on every break, it's a good thing they are using alternate break. I think they are also employing the 'three point rule' whereby for a break shot to be deemed legal, three balls had to either be pocketed or pass the head string or a combination thereof. This is to ensure there is no soft breaking and getting out every time. It all comes down to who can hold their serve.

Yes, the illegal-break rule (3-point rule) is being used again.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ignacio just beat 2011 WPA World 9-Ball champ Yukio Akagariyama 7-6 to win his group in Stage 1. What looked like an Ignacio runaway for a while (4-0 and 5-1) turned into a hill/hill match thanks to a couple of Ignacio fouls. Then Yukio returned the favor in the last game, fouling on a kick at the 3-ball after Ignacio had slopped safe.

But Yukio will have some more chances to make it to Stage 2.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignacio just beat 2011 WPA World 9-Ball champ Yukio Akagariyama 7-6 to win his group in Stage 1. What looked like an Ignacio runaway for a while (4-0 and 5-1) turned into a hill/hill match thanks to a couple of Ignacio fouls. Then Yukio returned the favor in the last game, fouling on a kick at the 3-ball after Ignacio had slopped safe.

But Yukio will have some more chances to make it to Stage 2.

Hoping that Yukio makes it this year
Another Pinoy Felicidad is thru taking down Kevin Cheng
Taiwanese Wu Kun Lin also thru beating his compatriot

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
You make some good points about sitting in the booth all of the time. If professional players sat in the booth all of the time, it would be difficult for them to remain focused on the match.

I have always believed that the best commentary comes from constantly rotating commentators whether they be professional players or professional commentators. If you sit in the booth for 12 hours a day, you will start to sound like you have said the same thing over and over and probably are. lol.

The best combination comes from a commentator and a professional pool player who get along well with each other without any facade. As a commentator, I've also always believed that it is important to make the professional player look their best. Asking questions that you know would be important to the viewers is one way that commentators make the professional players shine and I enjoy doing that, especially when a pro player is kind of mike-shy.

The fact that you don't see professional players in the booth very often speaks volumes about how difficult it is for all commentators to sound fresh, intelligent, interesting and entertaining every match of the day.

I wish live streamers were like Dustin McCollum, who Jay Helfert introduced me to many years ago. Feeding quality information through the headset (without the Internet viewers knowing), makes the commentator sound knowledgeable, fresh and keeps everything interesting. Dustin works in television and realized the value of this and used it in his productions. If live streaming were more lucrative for the streamers, they might be able to afford to rotate in fresh commentators and devote time to ushering in additional data incognito through the headsets.

JoeyA

I would much rather have the players commentate than commentators who are in the booth all the time. It's nice to hear things from the pro perspective. Commentators who commentate all the time are too comfortable, lose focus on the match, and generally don't play to the same level as the pros so they have a different perspective. There are a few exceptions. Thorsten did some of the best commentary I can remember.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Well, tonight I watched my first match of the 2015 WPA World 9-Ball Championship -- Ignacio defeated Cuartero 7-3. Ignacio is an amazing player (as we have seen previously).

But I was disappointed to see that they again are racking the 1-ball on the spot on a racking template and allowing the break to be from anywhere behind the line. The result is that the wing ball is pocketed nearly every time. Last year, for the 15 Stage 2 matches for which I posted stats, at least one ball was made on the break in 98% of the games (although 9% of the breaks were fouled or illegal, netting an 89% success rate). And, because of the high breaking success rate, 35% of the games were B&R's. [The match I mentioned above was 100% successful breaks and 40% B&R.]

Is that really how we want our world championship? I have mixed feelings, at best. Any breaking advantage of the great breakers (including Van Boening and Dechaine) is largely negated. Everyone is just trying to play for position on the 1-ball after the break.

Kudos to Kozoom again this year for the quality of the stream and for providing a choice of multiple matches to watch.

It's pretty absurd that the most important shot in the game of nine ball (the break) has pretty much been eliminated as a skill shot from the supposed 'world championship'. I think if these same guys were running tennis all the players would have a ball machine serve for them.

Can't believe they expect anyone to take races to seven and nine seriously at this level either. Pool is becoming more and more of a joke every day. Sad to see, really.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Can't believe they expect anyone to take races to seven and nine seriously at this level either. ...

Races to 7 in the qualifying tournaments
Races to 9 in the group round (if it's like last year)
Races to 11 in the single-elimination portion (prior to the finals)
Race to 13 in the finals

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
did anyone get a chance to watch the 10-year-old kid playing yesterday? son of Filipino Israel Rota. he lost though 7-3.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty absurd that the most important shot in the game of nine ball (the break) has pretty much been eliminated as a skill shot from the supposed 'world championship'. I think if these same guys were running tennis all the players would have a ball machine serve for them.

Can't believe they expect anyone to take races to seven and nine seriously at this level either. Pool is becoming more and more of a joke every day. Sad to see, really.

quote-"winners don't make excuses when the other side play the game"

By the way, do you and all who complain about whatever it is actually watch the matches ?

There are still way too many dramas in these matches, choking, missing super easy shots, scratch on the break, bad break... you name it, from world class pros. Stop talking non-sense about easy break easy game etc when they choke the shit out grinding game after game.

Why don't we just enjoy the game ?

Best,

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agreed. Longer races or more than one set. Tennis usually has best of 3 - major slams best of 5.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
did anyone get a chance to watch the 10-year-old kid playing yesterday? son of Filipino Israel Rota. he lost though 7-3.

No wonder I was shocked when I saw at least unknown half dozen Pinoys losing yesterday in 2nd round to locals
So those Pinoys were kids and 10 year olds :grin:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2nd round qualifiers is over so now remaining players have 1 last chance/ round to qualify
The 4 who qualified from 2nd round /2nd chance
- the old assassin 'Cold Faced Assassin' Chao Fong Pang
-Medinilla (Phi)
- Liu Cheng Chieh (Taiwan)
- 1 local from Middle East

Not so lucky were ex- World Champ Yukio . Kevin Chang lost final twice in a row losing to Pinoy. He was blowing away his opponents 7-0 x2 and 7-1x2 but fell at final hurdle to Medinilla
Hoping these 2 battlers get thru in final last chance :grin:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Yukio will have some more chances to make it to Stage 2.

It is ridiculous that the 2011 World 9-ball Champ has to qualify for this event and Hunter Lombardo is straight in the group stage.

That is completely wack.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The qualifiers are careening to a climactic finish
4 groups now at semi and qtr stages so about 20+ players remaining . 100 players sent home
This is last chance for ex- W9B champ Yukio who is behind to regional guy called Bata :)
4-5 down now in qtr stage

Kevin Cheng fighting to stay in toe to toe with his Middle East opponent

Go go Yukio and Kevin

Thanks will Check it out