World Cup of Pool Day 3 Updates

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I take it you didn't like his commentary much! I'm sure, I'm not on his Christmas card list either...lol

Not at all I thought he was a bit arrogant and a cheerleader for the other team. It's one thing to say things privately but public like that wasn't the place for a lot of those comments

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Now the question is, was his back hand shaking because he was nervous, or does he have one of those strokes like we see, where it just wobbles like that on the backswing.

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This Korean team is making England team A look like the team to beat in this tournament. Don't get me wrong, England A is great but this victory has more to do with the quality of the opposition. How did this Korean team even get to this stage (shaking arm and all)?

Last edited:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Amazing how you can go from the best match in the tournament, to Korea playing the worst pool people have ever seen.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing how you can go from the best match in the tournament, to Korea playing the worst pool people have ever seen.
It was horrible.

England still couldn't enjoy themselves and seem very tense. I can see them cracking when some real pressure gets applied. Maybe they'll loosen up in the race to 9, because in a race to 7, you're 3 flukes away from some hacks stealing a match off you.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
It was horrible.

England still couldn't enjoy themselves and seem very tense. I can see them cracking when some real pressure gets applied. Maybe they'll loosen up in the race to 9, because in a race to 7, you're 3 flukes away from some hacks stealing a match off you.

Agreed, they seemed very serious and worried, like they have the world of pressure on them. Japan has raised the bar for dealing with pressure so far, every teammate should shark their partner when he's down on the 9 ball to win the match.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Agreed, they seemed very serious and worried, like they have the world of pressure on them. Japan has raised the bar for dealing with pressure so far, every teammate should shark their partner when he's down on the 9 ball to win the match.

I thought they looked pretty solid but for that flubbed table length 4-ball by Karl, he really twisted his cue on that shot and did not follow through on it at all well.

That said Karl made a great 2-9 combo bridging over the 6-ball, that shot was not that easy and he nailed it.

Overall I think they look like they will be a tough team to beat for anyone and with so many high seeds getting knocked off so far their chances keep improving if they themselves can just stay in it. Their next match "should" have been against a fairly high seed in Germany or China, but both high seed teams got knocked out so England A gets to play one of the two spoiler teams in Indonesia or Romania. They have to feel that is something of a bonus. Now they just have to make sure they do not trip and become the next upset.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
AtLarge sir, would you happen to know the amount of 9 ball combinations that have been successful so far to win a game?

Sorry, but I have watched only 4 matches so far. In those matches, I noted:

2 by Qatar against USA
1 by Japan against Holland
1 by England A against Korea

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I love this event and always have. When I watch Matchroom events, I am reminded that short-race pool is far more exciting than any other brand.

So there will be some upsets. So what. You want excitement, play short races.

Everyone will experience late match pressure and will have to perform while on the edge at some point. That's the way I like it.

Matchroom gets it. Perform now or go home. Same as at the World Championship last week. Once qualifying is over, it's single elimination.

Single elimination always gets my attention.

wixo3

welp
Silver Member
That match had me on the edge of my seat. I friggin' love Naoyuki Oi. That guy absorbs pressure. Best match so far.

We need more Naoyuki Oi'sin pool, the guy's a character! :grin:

any info on what cue he plays with?

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love this event and always have. When I watch Matchroom events, I am reminded that short-race pool is far more exciting than any other brand.

Everyone will experience late match pressure and will have to perform while on the edge at some point. That's the way I like it.

Matchroom gets it. Perform now or go home. Same as at the World Championship last week. Once qualifying is over, it's single elimination.

It's hard to imagine any other way to give 32 countries a chance to compete on TV. Production runs about 400 hours which is a lot of content. [Correction 40 hours... not enough sleep LOL]

Sure some purists want to see the best get into stroke and reduce the luck factor, but it does produce tension and excitement as you suggest Stu.

We're lucky to have it, as are the players, and it's been a boon to the lesser pool countries whose players now how something to strive towards. And we have seen considerable improvement from several of those countries this year, which makes for a bright international future for the game.

Colin

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's hard to imagine any other way to give 32 countries a chance to compete on TV. Production runs about 400 hours which is a lot of content.

Sure some purists want to see the best get into stroke and reduce the luck factor, but it does produce tension and excitement as you suggest Stu.

We're lucky to have it, as are the players, and it's been a boon to the lesser pool countries whose players now how something to strive towards. And we have seen considerable improvement from several of those countries this year, which makes for a bright international future for the game.

Colin

I tend to agree with these posts....
....doing what the players want isn't necessarily good for the game or them.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Sure a race to 7 is short, but at the end of the day I have not seen a single team yet lose in this event that has not had a part in their fate.

This tournament requires that you come out of the gate firing on all cylinders. If the best team on paper does exactly that they will "probably" end up winning, but if they slip just a bit it gives the other team a chance to take an early lead and potentially take them out.

Race to 7 is not "that" short, TBH if you give up 7 games you clearly were not "that" favored on that given day to win, even in a race to 11 you would have been at best 7-6 down at that point and in serious trouble to lose a race to 9 or even 11.

Part of the reason this event is so popular as far as viewing goes is that no one really knows what to expect, anyone can win any match. Generally one of the top teams eventually comes out on top, but that team is largely a complete mystery at the start. Very few countries have been able to consistently show up at the top of the event year after year.