biggest improvement in pool equipment

realkingcobra

Silver Member
quit being a troll and ripping the opinion of everyone that doesn't share your opinion....that is the very definition of a troll.....diamond tables are not as good as the new gold crowns, accept it:yikes:

What new GCs? Are you referring to the OLD GC5's, with the non matching pocket miter angles in the corner pockets? Or did Brunswick come out with a new GC yet? Cuz I haven't seen a GC6, as of lately, but if I ever do, I'll be sure to check and see if the fixed the non matching corner pocket angles that have been a part of their production process since clear back to the Cenntennials and Anniversaries:thumbup:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Diamond does have better quality control imo. Their tables play more consistent from one table to the other .

This is 100% true.
Just some of us remember when that meant you could barely shoot a cueball into the side pocket from the spot, when they had rails that shot balls off the table and played way to short, to when the inside of the pocket was poorly designed and any force or power shot ran the risk of going into the pocket, hitting that flat surface and bouncing right back up out of the pocket and off the table.

Sure, Diamond has come a long way, but it wasn't always so. And the current rails still being bouncy and the deep slate are still stupid.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
This is 100% true.
Just some of us remember when that meant you could barely shoot a cueball into the side pocket from the spot, when they had rails that shot balls off the table and played way to short, to when the inside of the pocket was poorly designed and any force or power shot ran the risk of going into the pocket, hitting that flat surface and bouncing right back up out of the pocket and off the table.

Sure, Diamond has come a long way, but it wasn't always so. And the current rails still being bouncy and the deep slate are still stupid.
I smell trouble. :grin-square:
I have this old instructional video produced by Bob Meucci.
They do a 9-rail shot to show what a good table is supposed to do.
I couldn't tell what table it was .
I think all commercial table should pass that test.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

The blue label Diamonds do, I do that same test as well on all the tables I rebuild, as does Mark Gregory, but we also check for bounce back and forth the length of the table as well, the cue ball has to travel at least 4 1/2 - 5 times the length, and make it 9 rails around. But, not all players have the stroke to perform the test, that's not the tables fault!

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member

I could do that shot 25 years ago on a GC with Simonis 760.
And if you did it, you BARELY came off the 9th rail (bottom rail) and rested on the $20 bill or whatever the bet was.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I could do that shot 25 years ago on a GC with Simonis 760.
And if you did it, you BARELY came off the 9th rail (bottom rail) and rested on the $20 bill or whatever the bet was.

Well, today the same shot can be made on a GC or Diamond....with 860:thumbup:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The title to the thread should have been a dead give away, "the biggest improvement in pool equipment" as it was understood by those who've posted so far, well....except for you that is:rolleyes:

Once again, I RESPONDED TO YOUR POST. This is tougher than i thought:rolleyes:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Once again, I RESPONDED TO YOUR POST. This is tougher than i thought:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, what improvement in pool equipment did you point out again?;)...oh, you didn't, that explains it then....you didn't point out any improvement....just your preferences:cool:

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no way back 50-100 years ago there was more pool players than there is today, but I do believe that with less places to play, pool was taken more seriously by those that did play back then, rather than today's players wanting to socialize around the game, meet up with friends, show off cues, and have a night out playing in a pool league. Jobs were more serious back then as well, those that didn't work...had to find ways to support themselves and hustling at pool supported many players back then, which is why today pool rooms in the minds of many are still bad businesses to have in the communities. In Seattle still to this day, you can't have a "pool room" defined by hourly rental pool tables on a ground floor, it must be located either in a garage, or second floor or above.....why do you suppose that is?
Are you saying there's more poolhalls now than there were 50 years ago?

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Well, I can assure you its a much easier shot to make on 760 than 860:thumbup:

No doubt.
But tha doesn't negate the fact that Diamond rails will always be too bouncy, trick shots or not.

Are they still using the red circle instead of the original aramith cueball for the smart tables at tournaments? You would think in 15 years, they might have fixed that light/white sensor problem. :eek:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'm sorry, what improvement in pool equipment did you point out again?;)...oh, you didn't, that explains it then....you didn't point out any improvement....just your preferences:cool:

What improvements did you point out in this post or 95% of the other posts you've made in this thread? Just proving a point.

1. Magic rack
2. Balls
3. Dennis Searing tolerances on cues
4. Diamond lights
5. Video equipment/youtube
6. Training books/videos

Im sure there are others

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What improvements did you point out in this post or 95% of the other posts you've made in this thread? Just proving a point.

1. Magic rack
2. Balls
3. Dennis Searing tolerances on cues
4. Diamond lights
5. Video equipment/youtube
6. Training books/videos

Im sure there are others

More than you did;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
No doubt.
But tha doesn't negate the fact that Diamond rails will always be too bouncy, trick shots or not.

Are they still using the red circle instead of the original aramith cueball for the smart tables at tournaments? You would think in 15 years, they might have fixed that light/white sensor problem. :eek:

What original Aramith cueball are you referring to, the magnetic cueball?

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
What original Aramith cueball are you referring to, the magnetic cueball?

The one with the aramith logo.
They used to swap them out for the red circle because the white on the red circle was able to be picked up by the sensor better, which is what sent the cueball to the cueball ball return at the head of the table on smart tables.

This was the explanation given to me by the Diamond guys, when asked, at the Derby, long ago.
But I haven't played in any tournament on Diamond smart tables in over 12 years, so I don't know if they fixed this problem or not.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The one with the aramith logo.
They used to swap them out for the red circle because the white on the red circle was able to be picked up by the sensor better, which is what sent the cueball to the cueball ball return at the head of the table on smart tables.

This was the explanation given to me by the Diamond guys, when asked, at the Derby, long ago.
But I haven't played in any tournament on Diamond smart tables in over 12 years, so I don't know if they fixed this problem or not.

That's weird, I don't even remember pool rooms using the original aramith cueball that came new with the sets of balls.