biggest improvement in pool equipment

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
1. BALLS
2. TABLES (Diamond 7 footers - blue label - made leagues and tourneys MUCH better)
3. LD SHAFTS (for those that like them, need them or want them)
3. CHALK (of course)
4. INSTRUCTION (private lessons, pool schools, books, DVD's, etc. there is more than you could ever accumulate, the SKY is the limit)

Last edited:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
That's weird, I don't even remember pool rooms using the original aramith cueball that came new with the sets of balls.

I know plenty or rooms that do. Regardless of if they were using them on Diamonds, Brunswicks, Gandys or Gabriels.

But at most of the tournaments back in the day, they NEVER did on smart table tournaments. They were swapped out for the red circle, per my previous explanation.
Just wondering if that got fixed or not.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I know plenty or rooms that do. Regardless of if they were using them on Diamonds, Brunswicks, Gandys or Gabriels.

But at most of the tournaments back in the day, they NEVER did on smart table tournaments. They were swapped out for the red circle, per my previous explanation.

Yes, they've improved the cue ball sensor quite a bit since 2000, but I was using the Brunswick black circle up ball on my Diamond's back in 2001:cool:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Diamond is working on a new ProAm for all you whiny pool players, they're working out how to mount the pockets but leave the rails off so you guys never miss a ball:thumbup:

Just some rails that play normally like super speeds would do nicely. Diamonds rails make average bankers great bankers & make average players with no real stroke contenders.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I, along with many others, don't feel Diamond tables are an improvement over Brunswick. Therefore, with my last post, i named more improvements than you. So there :D

You repeated improvements mentioned by others, you didn't mention any yourself:rolleyes:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just some rails that play normally like super speeds would do nicely. Diamonds rails make average bankers great bankers & make average players with no real stroke contenders.

So if I'm understanding what you're saying, better players lost their skills against lesser players...because of the Diamond tables?:D

realkingcobra

Silver Member

No, Diamond tables will still not separate the cheaper made cue balls that are standard up balls that come in the new sets of balls, and once again, I don't know of any pool rooms using them today, they're mostly all using either the red circle, black circle, or the measle cue ball, all of which will work on the newest Diamond bar tables.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
One thing that is a huge improvement in the last 20 years, it the fact that China is making some pretty amazing production cues for a ridiculously low price vs the "custom" cue market and their respective prices.
Back in the day, if you had an import, it was labeled a "Taiwan job" and had a certain stigma attached to it, but today, Taiwan job or not, a lot of those cues play just as good as any custom cue.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You repeated improvements mentioned by others, you didn't mention any yourself:rolleyes:

Those are the things I think have improved. I do not think LD shafts, jump cues, arm weights and such have improved anything, and in cases such as the jump cue, its actually hurt the game.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
How about fly by night table installers :)

Edit: i do believe i mentioned you and Mark - don't think anybody else has

I don't believe neither Mark or I would be considered an improvement in this industry, because when we both have quit working on pool tables at the level we do....who's going to take our place and continue on?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I don't believe neither Mark or I would be considered an improvement in this industry, because when we both have quit working on pool tables at the level we do....who's going to take our place and continue on?

Somebody will. It's rare that once something improves it goes back to the way it was. As long as there is a demand somebody will fill that need.
They will probably charge more than you do though. I realize you do this cause of love or obsession with tables. Either way it works

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Somebody will. It's rare that once something improves it goes back to the way it was. As long as there is a demand somebody will fill that need.
They will probably charge more than you do though. I realize you do this cause of love or obsession with tables. Either way it works

I don't think there's anyone in this county with enough passion, or dumb enough to walk in Marks or my foot steps and take over rebuilding or refinishing pool tables to the level that we do. I've traveled all over this country, been to every major city there is, and seen the work done by so many table mechanics it's a joke. Yes, while there are some that can install the cloth pretty good, especially since I had a part in making the Simonis cloth installers DVDs, and it has shown a lot of installers my tricks of the trade which has greatly improved their skills installing cloth, the total rebuilding of pool tables is a dead art for the most part because it takes to much time for most to even try. The world of pool table mechanic's has never been about raising the dead, it's always been about making that money daily and don't take to long to make it because it'll slow down getting to the next job that pays. Cues, chalk, cloth, balls, racks, tips, and even pool tables have gotten better and better, and they all had to get better today if they want to stay afloat, competition is tuff, but it brings out the best. But Mark and I both agree, this entire industry has forgotten about what happens to all the pool tables out here once they've been sold to the customers. They don't care if the particle board backing on the slates won't hold staples anymore after about 5 cloth changes, they don't have to deal with the aftermath of that cheap way of attaching the bed cloth, the installers do. Table manufacturers for the most part, use the cheapest cushions too, and they KNOW they're going to go bad, some are even rock hard when the installers are setting up new pool tables, but they don't care...because they believe the.customers don't know shit about pool tables anyway, and they're right! And what's even more wrong, is that the installers don't really care either, just long as the job pays....and they can always get paid more if they have to come back and replace those dead ass cushions. Yet, there's still the knockers on AZ that would rather knock Diamond pool tables as junk pool tables, instead of giving them credit for being the only pool table manufacturer today that is putting 100% effort into making their.pool tables the best tables on the planet. Speaking from experience, Brunswick made a lot of design mistakes in their pool tables as well, the Cenntennials, Anniversaries, and Gold Crowns....all of them, are full of them...it's just that nobody really knows what to look for to see the mistakes, all they see is the assembled product. Cenntennials and Anniversaries had one of the worst rail to slate attachment designs I've ever had to fix, same as Mark....which is why when we rebuild rails...we don't put the same piss poor design back into the rails! Oh I know, how can I say that, they were the greatest pool tables ever built!!!! Well, let me just say that no matter how tight you bolted r he rails down to the slate....that never tightened the rails up for shit, all that ever did was pull the nut plate down to the slate...the rails were attached to the nut plates with WOOD SCREWS, which pulled out of the bottom of the rails ALL THE TIME, which in turn, left the rails loose...WOW! If only the market place knew as much about pool tables as Mark and I do, playing pool today might just be a much better world to play pool in!

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I don't think there's anyone in this county with enough passion, or dumb enough to walk in Marks or my foot steps and take over rebuilding or refinishing pool tables to the level that we do. I've traveled all over this country, been to every major city there is, and seen the work done by so many table mechanics it's a joke. Yes, while there are some that can install the cloth pretty good, especially since I had a part in making the Simonis cloth installers DVDs, and it has shown a lot of installers my tricks of the trade which has greatly improved their skills installing cloth, the total rebuilding of pool tables is a dead art for the most part because it takes to much time for most to even try. The world of pool table mechanic's has never been about raising the dead, it's always been about making that money daily and don't take to long to make it because it'll slow down getting to the next job that pays. Cues, chalk, cloth, balls, racks, tips, and even pool tables have gotten better and better, and they all had to get better today if they want to stay afloat, competition is tuff, but it brings out the best. But Mark and I both agree, this entire industry has forgotten about what happens to all the pool tables out here once they've been sold to the customers. They don't care if the particle board backing on the slates won't hold staples anymore after about 5 cloth changes, they don't have to deal with the aftermath of that cheap way of attaching the bed cloth, the installers do. Table manufacturers for the most part, use the cheapest cushions too, and they KNOW they're going to go bad, some are even rock hard when the installers are setting up new pool tables, but they don't care...because they believe the.customers don't know shit about pool tables anyway, and they're right! And what's even more wrong, is that the installers don't really care either, just long as the job pays....and they can always get paid more if they have to come back and replace those dead ass cushions. Yet, there's still the knockers on AZ that would rather knock Diamond pool tables as junk pool tables, instead of giving them credit for being the only pool table manufacturer today that is putting 100% effort into making their.pool tables the best tables on the planet. Speaking from experience, Brunswick made a lot of design mistakes in their pool tables as well, the Cenntennials, Anniversaries, and Gold Crowns....all of them, are full of them...it's just that nobody really knows what to look for to see the mistakes, all they see is the assembled product. Cenntennials and Anniversaries had one of the worst rail to slate attachment designs I've ever had to fix, same as Mark....which is why when we rebuild rails...we don't put the same piss poor design back into the rails! Oh I know, how can I say that, they were the greatest pool tables ever built!!!! Well, let me just say that no matter how tight you bolted r he rails down to the slate....that never tightened the rails up for shit, all that ever did was pull the nut plate down to the slate...the rails were attached to the nut plates with WOOD SCREWS, which pulled out of the bottom of the rails ALL THE TIME, which in turn, left the rails loose...WOW! If only the market place knew as much about pool tables as Mark and I do, playing pool today might just be a much better world to play pool in!

I'm enjoying a Pliny right now... If you traveled all over the country doing what you love, IMO, that's a huge accomplishment in itself. Perhaps your profession is more attractive than you think...

And regarding Brunswick tables, right, wrong, or indifferent, most of the best pool ever played was on a Brunswick...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm enjoying a Pliny right now... If you traveled all over the country doing what you love, IMO, that's a huge accomplishment in itself. Perhaps your profession is more attractive than you think...

And regarding Brunswick tables, right, wrong, or indifferent, most of the best pool ever played was on a Brunswick...

Only if they plan on living on the road year after year:thumbup: and Brunswick, like Raquel Welch was once in their prime:D