Cues at home

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
OK, this is a spinoff of the Cues in Cars thread.

When you get home from a tournament, league, etc. what do you do with your cues?

I have a bad habit of leaving them in my case and setting them in a corner somewhere and I'm guessing that's not best. If I'm thinking I set them sideways on my home table.

What do you do?
Do you unpack them from the case and put them in a rack?
For that matter, if you have a home table where do you store the cue you play with at home?

I have heard some conflicting opinions in pool halls and on podcasts about how to store a cue but I'm more curious about what people actually do on a daily basis.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a sturdy instroke case with solid tubing for the cues. So i leave it leaning against my wall because the cue isn't being bent.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I get home I take the cue out, wipe it down with a microfiber cloth, (my hands sweat a lot when I play which is why I like to wipe it down) check the shaft and tip and touch up if necessary and put it back in the case standing upright in its spot in my bedroom. I think storing a cue upright and in a case is best for the cue, though I don't think storing sideways in a case is particularly bad either.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
When I get home I take the cue out, wipe it down with a microfiber cloth, (my hands sweat a lot when I play which is why I like to wipe it down) check the shaft and tip and touch up if necessary and put it back in the case standing upright in its spot in my bedroom. I think storing a cue upright and in a case is best for the cue, though I don't think storing sideways in a case is particularly bad either.

Do you store it assembled in a rack or do you have a rack that allows you to break it down and store it in two pieces?

I've seen racks that let you store the butt and shaft separately but I don't know too many people who have those at home.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several cue racks in my pool room at home. They lean there and wait for me to come home.

When I was playing league pool, I always brought my bag inside the house and put the entire bag in a closet.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
My cue stays assembled as I have a table at home, I think screwing and unscrewing it daily would wear out the wood joint super fast, and increase chances of cross threading

Plus I'm super lazy

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
My cue stays assembled as I have a table at home, I think screwing and unscrewing it daily would wear out the wood joint super fast, and increase chances of cross threading

Plus I'm super lazy

I'm lazy too. That's why now both my playing cue and break cue have uniloc joints.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
It's not a baby, it's a cue!!! I've always used mine for breaking, playing, jumping - If you're that worried about it, maybe you should buy a better cue.

Next threads will be - Do i need to wear gloves to handle my cue? Should i vacuum the table after every shot? Will looking at my cue damage it? Should i just let the builder keep my cue and never play with it? Will chalking the tip wear it down?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Just like my baseball bats stay in my gear bag, my other sports equipment (pool cues) stay in their pool case.

Just equipment. I don't see them again till my next league night or when I want to practice.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
It's not a baby, it's a cue!!! I've always used mine for breaking, playing, jumping - If you're that worried about it, maybe you should buy a better cue.

Next threads will be - Do i need to wear gloves to handle my cue? Should i vacuum the table after every shot? Will looking at my cue damage it? Should i just let the builder keep my cue and never play with it? Will chalking the tip wear it down?

Yeah, I agree that some people take it way too far. I know players with $100 cues who use joint protectors religiously and even wipe the shaft and in the same pool hall have played a guy with a $3k custom cue who barely did any of that.

The culture of pool is fascinating though. The way players approach something even as simple as what they do with their cues at the end of the night differs so dramatically. As my love of pool continues to grow, I find it has as much to do with the people playing as it does the game itself.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Yeah, I agree that some people take it way too far. I know players with $100 cues who use joint protectors religiously and even wipe the shaft and in the same pool hall have played a guy with a $3k custom cue who barely did any of that.

The culture of pool is fascinating though. The way players approach something even as simple as what they do with their cues at the end of the night differs so dramatically. As my love of pool continues to grow, I find it has as much to do with the people playing as it does the game itself.

Agree 100%
Jason

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I take them out of my case and put them in my cue rack by my pool table so they are ready for home play/practice. The only cue care I practice before breaking my cue down is that I always wipe the chalk off my tips, I dont want chalk transferred from my cue to my case then back to my cue where it does not belong. chalk on ferrules drives me crazy, it makes it look like your cue has chapped lips.:eek:

I saw someone mention joint protectors. Exactly what are they designed to protect the joint from? I really do not understand the need for them other than another way for money to change hands.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I take them out of my case and put them in my cue rack by my pool table so they are ready for home play/practice. The only cue care I practice before breaking my cue down is that I always wipe the chalk off my tips, I dont want chalk transferred from my cue to my case then back to my cue where it does not belong. chalk on ferrules drives me crazy, it makes it look like your cue has chapped lips.:eek:

I saw someone mention joint protectors. Exactly what are they designed to protect the joint from? I really do not understand the need for them other than another way for money to change hands.

Drop your cue pin first onto concrete and you'll wish you had joint protectors.

That said, I too wipe the tips off before casing the cues for the same reason you do.
At home, cues stay in my upright case. Due to illness & the holidaze, they've been sitting too long. Hope I'm able to remember how to hold 'em once I get to a table.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Proper care of cues is simple & easy.....

Nothing....not a darn thing unless I notice something when I disassemble the cue to return it in my case.
I attend to the care of my cues prior to taking it to the pool hall....everything has already been done.
The wrap has been cleaned or glass pressed, tips shaped & treated with Craftsmen Cue Wax, if needed.
The cue forearm and butt have been wiped clean and basically all my cues are in tip top condition.

If I notice anything, ex,, slight nick of the shaft, I treat the cue immediately & fix the problem that nite.
Otherwise my cues remain in their cue case either standing straight up or laying flat in my pool closet.
I have never experienced any problems doing this and my Runde Schon was made in 1985.....????

Too much is made of the proper way to store cues when the truth is lots of players just mistreat their
cues by being careless how they handle, transport or store their cues. I think it comes down to a basic
philosophy....always respect your equipment whether it's your BB glove, guns, golf clubs, pool cues,
power tools, knives, etc. It's kinda funny that when these things cost a lot, giving attention becomes EZ.

Matt B.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always laid them down flat in case for some reason. Not sure why but feel like it's better supporting the whole length of the cue.

I use JP's after not zipping my bag years ago and dumping my cues pin first in a parking lot. That is why I take the 30 seconds to screw them on and off. Cheap security.

-Kat,

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
My spare bed room is my storage, (Slash), Hoarder Area. I leave the cases against a wall and open the lids.

If it is Winter, when most of our League does take place, same as youse guys, yes?,
then I want them to warm up slowly.

I don't see having to lay them down flat, as on a pool table necessary. The sturdyness, (Not an actual word), of most cases will support a Pool Cue just fine. They are on a very slight angle against the wall when in a case.

The rest of my small collection are in the basement. A little cooler down there, and a bit more so in the Winter. Never had a problem. Usually 50 degrees at the coolest and the cases keep them a tad warmer. I have a Thermo Meter in the cue shop which stays at 50 until I turn the heat up.

Of course, if I had some real esspensive cues like some of you guys do, I just might freak out a bit more on how I do store them. And I don't blame you one bit, as I tend to be a bit OCD at times for some of my things.

Last edited: