When is Dennis gonna learn how to shake hands

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
all for no shake stand up and holler

No one minds shaking hands when they win. When you are gambling you never
go shake hands when you're done. I never heard of anyone saying "yeah I won
all of his money, his pistol, and cue, but he didn't shake my hand. He really
embarrassed himself in front of all the rail birds". But I guess this is just one
more thing that keeps pool in the shadows, when will they ever learn.
jack

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
SVB has his number. You can see it and feel it. Remember how he acted when the ref wouldn't move the magic rack? He tilted himself out when he just argued for the very same thing (in reverse) just the shot before.

That was one of the strangest things I've ever seen. To paraphrase the situation.

"You're all a bunch of idiots. Of course the ref is not allowed to move the stuck magic rack! Everybody knows that"

Very next shot...

"You're all a bunch of idiots. Of course I can ask the ref to move the stuck magic rack! Other than me pissing and moaning about it endlessly just 5 seconds ago, when have you ever heard that it's not allowed?"

:confused::confused::confused:

LOL

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Has it ever occurred to you that not all cultures practice handshakes? While Dennis and the rest of the Filipinos know enough to shake the hands of their opponents, they're probably not too aware of the other, finer, requisites that go with the gesture, e.g. firm grip, eye contact, a little small talk or offer of congratulations, etc. etc.
In some Asian cultures, looking at somebody in the eye is considered rude at best, or worse, insulting. In some instances, it could even get you killed. In other countries, not meeting someone's gaze is a sign of humility or of acceptance of the other's superiority or position in society or station in life.
Of course, most of the Filipino players know this but the other fine intricacies of shaking hands (who initiates, how many pumps, does one stop in their tracks, how high should it be, etc.) may escape them as it might not necessarily be in their nature, or culture, to do so.

Among the Filipino players, I think it is Francisco Bustamante who does the handshake the best (he approaches the other player, offers his hand, shakes it a few times, smiles and talks a bit to his opponent while maintaining eye contact, etc) but this might be because he spent a few years in a Western country (Germany) and learned a few things.

It's not just a cultural thing...we had many North American players that would give you the
Dead Fish also....it's a personal decision.
When I was young and newly married, I went to a job interview that was arranged by a
Buddy....I had a lock on the job...but the guy gave me the dead fish handshake on end...
....I didn't take the job.

A player who gives me the dead fish only gets a fist bump from then on....
...they can take it or leave it.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is true, is it Pinoy thing? I've lived in the RP for a long time and I don't think I've ever meet a Pinoy with a firm look you in the eye handshake:scratchhead:

I'm talking about the culture in general, it's very ethnocentric in a subtle way. How else can you explain Manny Pacquiao being a Congressman, and Jollibee?...but getting back to pool.

Bustamante and crowd are not such nice losers either...ask Daryl Peach. I remember when this happened, I saw DP in Angles City a few days later and he said it was a scary situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8YuHAA-nQ

I want to thank you for this link. Part 7 is truly a powerful piece of pool, the camera work is exceptional, the stare of Francisco. Then the exhausted Peach, emotional in the arms of the fans. Words can't describe that kind of pressure. Amazing.

Green to you sir.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like the Chinese/Taipei (Ko brothers, etc) likes to hi five after a match.

Dennis didn't have a problem hi fiving ko after the race to 100. I guess b/c he won.

Did Busty and Ko shook hands after their 10b match?

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis has had many high profile incidents where he
Has shown severe lack of sportsmanship or generally just being
A twat
Great player shame he acts like that regularly
I can't imagine how he is going to be when he gets drilled in February
Should if been careful what he asked for

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
Yeah I have met him and is kind of a ****.

i met him too and it was after a huge loss hill hill in the finals of a tourney to johnny archer
he not only shook johnny's hand but also chatted with me and my girl a little, took pics with us and even showed her some trick shots
so maybe you caught him at a really bad time or somethin, or he had personal stuff goin on
but dennis is ok in my book, better than ok really cuz he could've been a total douche after that bad loss, but he was awesome, all smiles

efren was another story though, hope i get to see him again sometime, cause the day i met him i lost some respect for him
i must've caught him at the worst time cause it was like his mind was elsewhere, he wasn't paying attention, signed the cue ball like it was hard work and didn't even look at the camera when my girl asked to take a pic with him
i've heard nothin but great things as far as efren gettin along with the fans, but that day dennis was way more approachable, and dennis is the one i've heard bad things about
and this is efren's number one fan talkin here, not some efren hater

oh well just my 2 cents, dennis will always have the benefit of the doubt with me
-eddie

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a bit of a different take. Why is the handshake afterward even necessary? Dennis is probably pissed that he lost, pissed that he performed poorly, or missed a shot that is sticking in his head. He thinks he should have won. That's passion, and confidence. I'm pretty sure that's normal. Why the heck shouldn't he be disappointed and pissed? I know I am when I lose a match. I'm in no mood to congratulate someone else on beating me. Why should he pretend to be happy for his opponent? He has no vested interest in someone else's career. Especially for the pros that make this their livelihood. His failure just took food off his kid's plate.

I see this as passion and drive. Both of which I like to see in competitive sports.

I like to see people shake before a match to show respect, but I'm not even sure that's necessary. Why do two competitors need to be friends? I just want to see two gladiators enter the arena, slug it out, and the one that loses should take that anger, go back, work harder and come back next time to kick some butt. This drives people to make themselves better, stronger, and (selfishly) produced a better entertainment product for us to enjoy.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Among the Filipino players, I think it is Francisco Bustamante who does the handshake the best (he approaches the other player, offers his hand, shakes it a few times, smiles and talks a bit to his opponent while maintaining eye contact, etc) but this might be because he spent a few years in a Western country (Germany) and learned a few things.
Or...it's because he wants you to be as comfortable as possible beforehand 'cause he's about to kick your azz.

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
I have a bit of a different take. Why is the handshake afterward even necessary? Dennis is probably pissed that he lost, pissed that he performed poorly, or missed a shot that is sticking in his head. He thinks he should have won. That's passion, and confidence. I'm pretty sure that's normal. Why the heck shouldn't he be disappointed and pissed? I know I am when I lose a match. I'm in no mood to congratulate someone else on beating me. Why should he pretend to be happy for his opponent? He has no vested interest in someone else's career. Especially for the pros that make this their livelihood. His failure just took food off his kid's plate.

I see this as passion and drive. Both of which I like to see in competitive sports.

I like to see people shake before a match to show respect, but I'm not even sure that's necessary. Why do two competitors need to be friends? I just want to see two gladiators enter the arena, slug it out, and the one that loses should take that anger, go back, work harder and come back next time to kick some butt. This drives people to make themselves better, stronger, and (selfishly) produced a better entertainment product for us to enjoy.

i like your take cause without the passion and drive, he'd probably never get to the level he is now
and yeah gambling my opponent never shakes my hand when he hands me his money
and since dennis started in money games in PI and not in US tournaments, maybe our american sportsmanship standards are lost on him

Last edited:

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
I see this as passion and drive.

I see it as inexcusable rudeness. We have social conventions for a reason.

I just want to see two gladiators enter the arena, slug it out.

I'll see if I can find you a time travel ticket back to Roman times, so you can see real gladiators. You will be able to competitors die when they lose.

Thank you kindly.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person with a memory. This has been discussed previously. It is cultural.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I prefer a hand-bump instead of shaking someone's dirty hand, but that's just me.

I noticed that before Dennis got started warming up with his match with Shane, French wanted a photo with Shaw and Dennis. Shaw took his photo first and seemed fine about it, but Dennis didn't look too happy to have to dance like a monkey right before his big match to take a pic with his backer.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person with a memory. This has been discussed previously. It is cultural.
I can't help but notice that it's only cultural when he looses...... Which with Shane is (EVERY TIME) they play.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am from the school where you shake your opponents hand. You don't shake it because your so happy he/she beat you. You shake/ fist bump because you appreciate the competition. Never forget without your opponent you cant compete and test your ability.

Its plain and simple respect.

No need to act like a little B*T*h just because you lost.

That's how I see it anyways

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am from the school where you shake your opponents hand. You don't shake it because your so happy he/she beat you. You shake/ fist bump because you appreciate the competition. Never forget without your opponent you cant compete and test your ability.

Its plain and simple respect.

No need to act like a little B*T*h just because you lost.

That's how I see it anyways
This is exactly what I'm talking about. :thumbup:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I've always considered the handshake to be an extra show of respect.
Not a 'required' one. It's a nice touch but nobody should be mad if it's missing.

I don't get shitty with the hotel staff if my pillow doesn't have a mint on it.

Think of what it says about a person, that they DEMAND a sign of respect from someone,
and they GET it... but they're still mad because the other guy wasn't SINCERE enough to suit them.

Doesn't that attitude seem a little... entitled, or egocentric, or insecure?

Why would Shane need Dennis to show his approval?
Shane already knows where he and dennis stand.
He isn't lying awake at night thinking "dennis doesn't respect me as a human being,
or respect my game?? What's wrong with me? How can I earn his approval?!!"

He doesn't need dennis to fake it, they're not dating.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't help but notice that it's only cultural when he looses...... Which with Shane is (EVERY TIME) they play.

You are having psychological problems over how a pool player shakes hands with another pool player. The forum has reached a new level.