When is Dennis gonna learn how to shake hands

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is insane. Have you ever watched a major sport championship? They have handshakes as a sign of respect, camaraderie, and the most important, SPORTSMANSHIP.

Here is a great article on the handshake from the U.S. Open in tennis two years ago. An entire article on shaking hands, why it's important, and how the players feel about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2013/08/25/us-open-wta-post-match-handshake/2696803/

Gambling is different, but playing in a tournament, you should shake hands after a match, especially the professionals. Separate the adults from the children.

-Ben

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always considered the handshake to be an extra show of respect.
Not a 'required' one. It's a nice touch but nobody should be mad if it's missing.

I don't get shitty with the hotel staff if my pillow doesn't have a mint on it.

Think of what it says about a person, that they DEMAND a sign of respect from someone,
and they GET it... but they're still mad because the other guy wasn't SINCERE enough to suit them.

Doesn't that attitude seem a little... entitled, or egocentric, or insecure?

Why would Shane need Dennis to show his approval?
Shane already knows where he and dennis stand.
He isn't lying awake at night thinking "dennis doesn't respect me as a human being,
or respect my game?? What's wrong with me? How can I earn his approval?!!"

He doesn't need dennis to fake it, they're not dating.

I don't understand this. We're taught from when we play sports as kids that you show basic sportsmanship. In little league you go over and one by one shake the other players' hands. In every major pro sport they're supposed to respectfully shake hands. It's exactly like having basic manners and courtesy - saying please and thank you. It's being a decent human being.

I don't know why you focus on SVB. He isn't crying about Dennis. It's about Dennis showing sportsmanship, not Shane wanting respect. Shane probably loves it.

Look, it's not the end of the world and no one is saying it is. It's just about someone taking 1.8 seconds out of their busy day to show basic sportsmanship, which is a minimal requirement of being a professional player. If you act like an asshole people are going to call you an asshole. I don't see why we should deny it or ignore it or pretend it's OK.

This is insane. Have you ever watched a major sport championship? They have handshakes as a sign of respect, camaraderie, and the most important, SPORTSMANSHIP.

Here is a great article on the handshake from the U.S. Open in tennis two years ago. An entire article on shaking hands, why it's important, and how the players feel about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2013/08/25/us-open-wta-post-match-handshake/2696803/

Gambling is different, but playing in a tournament, you should shake hands after a match, especially the professionals. Separate the adults from the children.

-Ben
I agree completely.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are having psychological problems over how a pool player shakes hands with another pool player. The forum has reached a new level.

And you're living in denial if you think turning your head away while shaking hands is "cultural"

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
The mandatory after loss handshake is bullshit in my opinion. If a guy gets beat and respects the way the other guy won and played and wants to shake his hand then awesome. But the fake going through the motions thing with a disgusted look on his face just looks dumb.

Add in the all the cultural differences and it just makes it even more silly. I want a player to show sportsmanship during the match and how he conducts himself not by acknowledging losing in a good way after its over.

This isnt little league baseball or high school football. Its pro's playing for money. There is enough BS involved already no need to ad in more fake rituals. I think the loser should have the prerogative of offering his hand if he wants without it being mandatory. If not then next match.

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
I think the loser should have the prerogative of offering his hand if he wants without it being mandatory.

He has that prerogative now. No one is claiming otherwise or petitioning for a rule. They are saying it is bad manners and are thinking less of those that neglect this social courtesy. If it was mandatory, it wouldn't be a social courtesy.

Thank you kindly.

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:boring2: Dennis did shake Shane's hand. Is there any rule as to how many seconds it has to be or how long does he need to stare at Shane's eyes before a lot of you folks consider it good sportsmanship? At least he did not just walk off without shaking his hand.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The mandatory after loss handshake is bullshit in my opinion. If a guy gets beat and respects the way the other guy won and played and wants to shake his hand then awesome. But the fake going through the motions thing with a disgusted look on his face just looks dumb.

Add in the all the cultural differences and it just makes it even more silly. I want a player to show sportsmanship during the match and how he conducts himself not by acknowledging losing in a good way after its over.

This isnt little league baseball or high school football. Its pro's playing for money. There is enough BS involved already no need to ad in more fake rituals. I think the loser should have the prerogative of offering his hand if he wants without it being mandatory. If not then next match.

I doubt that people who take exception to Dennis' actions are saying they are ok with the fake handshake, I think they are saying that it shouldn't be fake.

I don't think it's about respecting the way the other guy played, or about "acknowledging losing" (what is the other guy doing in that case, "acknowledging winning"?), I think it's just about respecting your opponent and respecting the game.

You can be a fierce competitor, and a pro playing for money, without disrespecting your opponent in the process..

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
And she won!

Justin is right. Faking a handshake is a ***** move. Starting a thread complaining about it is even worse.

Shaking hands also spreads diseases.
A fist pump is ok by me.
Shaking hands was a show, you are not hiding a weapon.
Not as a congratulatory gesture.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
He has that prerogative now. No one is claiming otherwise or petitioning for a rule. They are saying it is bad manners and are thinking less of those that neglect this social courtesy. If it was mandatory, it wouldn't be a social courtesy.

Thank you kindly.

I think you missed my point or are ignoring it. But whatever...if people want to get butt hurt over people they don't know not performing fake rituals up to their own personal standard so be it.

I can see being pissed if a guy acts like a douche in a match or yells at a guy after losing or something but because he isnt sincere in shaking hands after getting beat just seems silly to me. These people are not children.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I doubt that people who take exception to Dennis' actions are saying they are ok with the fake handshake, I think they are saying that it shouldn't be fake.

I don't think it's about respecting the way the other guy played, or about "acknowledging losing" (what is the other guy doing in that case, "acknowledging winning"?), I think it's just about respecting your opponent and respecting the game.

You can be a fierce competitor, and a pro playing for money, without disrespecting your opponent in the process..

To me respecting the game and the opponent is shown by how you play the game. After its over its just ridiculous to expect the loser to perform some ritual that is so obviously forced. If two guys have a great battle and really respect each other and shake hands then it means something. If its just expected then its a boring false exercise.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me respecting the game and the opponent is shown by how you play the game. After its over its just ridiculous to expect the loser to perform some ritual that is so obviously forced. If two guys have a great battle and really respect each other and shake hands then it means something. If its just expected then its a boring false exercise.

Shaking hands originated as display of being unarmed and not a violent threat. Most people don't know the origin. If you do, to refuse a handshake or offer a limp hand is like telling a person "F*ck you. Watch your back..." Something you probably shouldn't say unless you mean it.