When is Dennis gonna learn how to shake hands

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And she won!

Justin is right. Faking a handshake is a ***** move. Starting a thread complaining about it is even worse.
I'm sorry if I offended you with this thread, from now on I'll PM you first to make you sure that you feel it's appropriate.

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People that compete at a very high level don't know how to lose..it's not how they're wired.. Some just fake it better than others..

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you missed my point or are ignoring it. But whatever...if people want to get butt hurt over people they don't know not performing fake rituals up to their own personal standard so be it.

I can see being pissed if a guy acts like a douche in a match or yells at a guy after losing or something but because he isnt sincere in shaking hands after getting beat just seems silly to me. These people are not children.

This is such a great post.

I would imagine we all do something that if others did it we'd find it annoying or disrespectful. I spend my time concerning myself with how I can be better, not how I believe others should be better or should behave.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In general, there is practically no excuse for not shaking hands after a match. Hating to lose is no excuse. Many of us hate to lose with deep intensity, but we shake hands at the end.

The only exceptions are if one player has a cold or flu, or if your opponent did something unsportsmanlike to you during the match.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me respecting the game and the opponent is shown by how you play the game. After its over its just ridiculous to expect the loser to perform some ritual that is so obviously forced. If two guys have a great battle and really respect each other and shake hands then it means something. If its just expected then its a boring false exercise.

All of human culture is a fake, false exercise. Manners, law, civilization, communication. Every adult who doesn't throw a temper tantrum when something goes wrong is being fake. I'm sure Dennis wants to punch SVB in the face after he loses. Probably every highly competitive pool player feels the same way after every single loss. It's a fake false ritual to decline that impulse. But IMO those forced exercises are the most important things in life.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In general, there is practically no excuse for not shaking hands after a match. Hating to lose is no excuse. Many of us hate to lose with deep intensity, but we shake hands at the end.

The only exceptions are if one player has a cold or flu, or if your opponent did something unsportsmanlike to you during the match.

They are rivals, they have a big match coming up, if Dennis chose not to shake hands at all it would have been appropriate imo. It's not a big deal.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of human culture is a fake, false exercise. Manners, law, civilization, communication. Every adult who doesn't throw a temper tantrum when something goes wrong is being fake. I'm sure Dennis wants to punch SVB in the face after he loses. Probably every highly competitive pool player feels the same way after every single loss. It's a fake false ritual to decline that impulse. But IMO those forced exercises are the most important things in life.

The fake shake means that much to you?

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

or maybe it's evolution. when our mothers didn't eat us at birth, what was that?

Last edited:

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dennis did shake Shane's hand after the match. Some people just think it was not sincere, not too long and/or he did not look directly at Shane's eyes.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
haha how is this a thread. why make it your business to care how some guy shakes some other guy's hand? having an opinion on dennis orcollo's hand-shake style is... well, i don't know, embarrassing? what are people worried about here? maybe he's not a good sport, so what. why does he have to be a good sport? if you don't like him, then go on not liking him. don't propose he should have to shake hands a certain way.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member

Here's the thing that's baffling. Dennis didn't skip the fake ritual.
You're probably right, he probably wanted to kill something after losing that match.
But he resisted that impulse. Then he went the extra mile and shook hands,
fulfilling his social / sportsmanship obligation.

Why is that not enough?
Why does dennis also need to fake sincerity, enthusiasm, or enjoyment while doing it?

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me respecting the game and the opponent is shown by how you play the game. After its over its just ridiculous to expect the loser to perform some ritual that is so obviously forced. If two guys have a great battle and really respect each other and shake hands then it means something. If its just expected then its a boring false exercise.

YES!! To me, respecting the game and your opponent is not talking during their shot. Not standing in their sight line, or otherwise interfering with their game. Forcing a handshake afterward doesn't change the way I feel about my opponent, and it doesn't change the way they feel about me. It is just some silly forced interaction that people think might prevent a fight or something? I don't know.

In my league matches 95% of the time I smile, and chat with the guy / gal after I lose. 5% of the time they were complete jack-holes during the match and I want nothing to do with them. I ONLY shake their hand because I am literally forced to by our league rules. If I don't I could be labeled a poor sport and banned from the league. How stupid is that?

I'm not going to start a fight if I don't shake a hand because I'm not a bad person. If I don't want to have contact with that person that should be my choice.

As far as Shane and Dennis goes, that's between them, not us. I think that when they are in the arena, and they have their game faces on, if they truly don't like each other, that's fine. They have to be fair (not interfering) but why on earth do we feel a need to force them to pretend to be friends.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

So without false handshakes after a loss we devolve into anarchy? Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
YES!! To me, respecting the game and your opponent is not talking during their shot. Not standing in their sight line, or otherwise interfering with their game. Forcing a handshake afterward doesn't change the way I feel about my opponent, and it doesn't change the way they feel about me. It is just some silly forced interaction that people think might prevent a fight or something? I don't know.

In my league matches 95% of the time I smile, and chat with the guy / gal after I lose. 5% of the time they were complete jack-holes during the match and I want nothing to do with them. I ONLY shake their hand because I am literally forced to by our league rules. If I don't I could be labeled a poor sport and banned from the league. How stupid is that?

I'm not going to start a fight if I don't shake a hand because I'm not a bad person. If I don't want to have contact with that person that should be my choice.

As far as Shane and Dennis goes, that's between them, not us. I think that when they are in the arena, and they have their game faces on, if they truly don't like each other, that's fine. They have to be fair (not interfering) but why on earth do we feel a need to force them to pretend to be friends.

Put it much better than I did. Great post.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I have a somewhat related question -- why in golf, do the players take off their hats when they shake hands?

I'll shake hands after a match mainly cause if you don't it can cause more issues if you do. I'm a non confrontational person.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I have a somewhat related question -- why in golf, do the players take off their hats when they shake hands?

I'll shake hands after a match mainly cause if you don't it can cause more issues if you do. I'm a non confrontational person.

They take off their hats because in the 1400's it was a way to show you didnt have a dragon concealed under your helmet.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the thing that's baffling. Dennis didn't skip the fake ritual.
You're probably right, he probably wanted to kill something after losing that match.
But he resisted that impulse. Then he went the extra mile and shook hands,
fulfilling his social / sportsmanship obligation.

Why is that not enough?
Why does dennis also need to fake sincerity, enthusiasm, or enjoyment while doing it?

Good point; two things: First, the limp hand while walking the other direction is a huge blinking neon “fock you” sign. It’s the difference between someone saying “thank you” in a polite way even if they don’t really want to, and someone saying “thank you” in an intentionally sarcastic, passive-aggressive tone. I think we’re losing basic common sense if we don’t see the difference.

Second, the discussion got more general than this specific handshake, and quite a few people in this thread actually have said they don’t believe in the “fake handshake” at all.