Magic Rack - Pet Peeve

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else out there run across this? Especially with players who aren't used to using a template rack.

I break, successfully, as I'm almost down on my shot my opponent runs over to the table to remove the template rack. I'm used to playing with it laying on the table and in years of playing with one have NEVER had one cost me a game. Most of the time I tell them to leave it on the table and they can remove it when it's THEIR turn at the table. IMO when it's not your turn at the table you should remain in your chair until it is your turn. Otherwise it really could be considered sharking. I don't believe these people are trying to shark they just are uncomfortable with the rack on the table. I actually had one guy say that I could use the rack to my advantage!! :rolleyes:

Rant over

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, I believe the rack should be removed from the table immediately after breaking if the layout of the balls allow it.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting some for my tournaments I run if you leave it on the table after the break I am going to consider it a foul if any ball makes contact with it. It's a foreign object on the table that can change the direction of he ball when slow rolling.

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting some for my tournaments I run if you leave it on the table after the break I am going to consider it a foul if any ball makes contact with it. It's a foreign object on the table that can change the direction of he ball when slow rolling.

So what do you do about these?
QjJFNTUwQTQ5ODU3QkQxNzI3MTU6ZWJjMmJhYTkyNDgxNzBlZjEzMzZkMjUzNjk4YmMxZTg6Ojo6OjA=

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do realize they are trying to be considerate, right?

Being considerate would be staying in your chair until it's your turn at the table. Can you imagine a golfer running into the line of an opponents putt to fix a spike mark as he is about to pull the trigger?

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being considerate would be staying in your chair until it's your turn at the table. Can you imagine a golfer running into the line of an opponents putt to fix a spike mark as he is about to pull the trigger?
1. It's against the rules to fix spike marks.
2. It's more like removing the flagstick out of the way of your putt, which would indeed be considerate.

I'm sure your opponent gets the message when you flip out at them for doing this though. ;)

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not one person here agrees with you. It takes two seconds to remove it. Have you considered that it may shark your opponent to leave it there while you shoot?

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see them being left on the table a lot, but it bugs me. I think it should be necessary to remove it right after the break. That being said, I'd never get up and remove it when it's not my turn as I realize that could bother someone, unless it had been discussed and deemed okay to do so. I stay in my seat when it's not my turn at the table.

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. It's against the rules to fix spike marks.
2. It's more like removing the flagstick out of the way of your putt, which would indeed be considerate.

I'm sure your opponent gets the message when you flip out at them for doing this though. ;)

Good catch, correction, I meant ball mark and typed spike mark.
Good analogy on the flag.
FYI I don't flip out on anyone, I am always polite and extremely courteous to my opponents. I just choose not to approach the table when it's not my turn, unless I am asked to by my opponent. Don't think it's too much to expect the same in return.
We all have our pet peeves.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Anyone else out there run across this? Especially with players who aren't used to using a template rack.

I break, successfully, as I'm almost down on my shot my opponent runs over to the table to remove the template rack. I'm used to playing with it laying on the table and in years of playing with one have NEVER had one cost me a game. Most of the time I tell them to leave it on the table and they can remove it when it's THEIR turn at the table. IMO when it's not your turn at the table you should remain in your chair until it is your turn. Otherwise it really could be considered sharking. I don't believe these people are trying to shark they just are uncomfortable with the rack on the table. I actually had one guy say that I could use the rack to my advantage!! :rolleyes:

Rant over

I gotta side with you on this one, while it is your turn you handle the template as you see fit.
If the template is a foreign object and a foul if a ball contacts it during a shot shouldnt the same hold true for the break then? That would make sense to me. My prefernce would be that all establishments get decent triangles and use those rather than templates, that would end any arguing.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Is there any written rule by any organization on this yet? Personally I think it should be removed by the player at the table as soon as the layout allows without any danger of moving a ball. I wouldn't think it's similar to removing the flag. I think most pool players would prefer that their opponent not approach the table until it is their turn. Removing the flag seems like it is a time old polite gesture that's accepted and expected as golf etiquette, pool isn't nearly that polite.
I don't think you can call a foul if a ball touches the template (well, I suppose you can if you really think you must, to me that would be a pretty cheap call - very much akin to the foul that Karl Boyes called on Shannon Daulton not that long ago) I would have to question as to whether or not you can really consider the rack a foreign object.

Last edited:

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any written rule by any organization on this yet? Personally I think it should be removed by the player at the table as soon as the layout allows without any danger of moving a ball. I wouldn't think it's similar to removing the flag. I think most pool players would prefer that their opponent not approach the table until it is their turn. Removing the flag seems like it is a time old polite gesture that's accepted and expected as golf etiquette, pool isn't nearly that polite.

As far as I understand the rule is that it is part of the table. However, one situation where it would be a foul is if a player removes it from the table, lays it on the rail with a section hanging over the table. If a ball touches the rack while it is hanging over then it is a foul.

I would be perfectly fine with a rule that states it must be moved after the break. I just don't want my opponent approaching the table while it's my turn, unless they want to ask for a ref.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rant over

1) They should sit in their chair when they are not shooting.

2) You should remove the magic rack immediately after the break. It should be removed by the player that broke. Involve the other player if there is any difficulty removing it.

On the break, I think the tightness of the rack more than offsets any minor alterations in ball paths. However, after the break it is entirely possible that you will need to roll a ball very softly in the area of the rack template. This could certainly alter the course of the ball. It should be removed. You posted the question. I posted the answer.

Anyone disagree?

KMRUNOUT

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... My prefernce would be that all establishments get decent triangles and use those rather than templates, that would end any arguing.
Well, no, that's not the way it works in practice. Once a table has craters in the wrong places it is more or less impossible to get a tight rack with a normal triangle.

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

2) You should remove the magic rack immediately after the break. It should be removed by the player that broke. Involve the other player if there is any difficulty removing it.

On the break, I think the tightness of the rack more than offsets any minor alterations in ball paths. However, after the break it is entirely possible that you will need to roll a ball very softly in the area of the rack template. This could certainly alter the course of the ball. It should be removed. You posted the question. I posted the answer.

Anyone disagree?

KMRUNOUT
I agree, the only thing is for me I will remove the rack if I will have the cue ball/object ball traveling over it at a slow pace. If I don't have any ball's going near it I usually will just leave it on the table.. Again, I wouldn't have an issue with a rule that it must be removed..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Anyone disagree?

KMRUNOUT
I don't disagree, but I think there can be exceptions. Suppose four balls remain in the rack with what looks like a dead kiss shot on the nine to a far corner pocket. The kissing ball is on the template. How would you handle that? As the shooter, I would much rather the balls be left alone until I shoot the dead ball.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe I saw SVB use the template to assist in playing a tighter safe once. So a player leaves the template on the table while shooting. Which may or may not be easily removed. Now while shooting maybe more balls are in play around the template. You miss. Now your opponent has to remove the template or wait for you to do it. Which may or may not be quick depending on what's on or around the template. So it kinda works both ways. I think it should be moved after the break.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Not one person here agrees with you. It takes two seconds to remove it. Have you considered that it may shark your opponent to leave it there while you shoot?

:lol: Your are right, not one but several !

And two seconds is a bit on the silly side. I've seen people take three, even four seconds to remove a magic rack :lol: ... when there is obvious room for their fingers ... even longer if they dick around trying not to disturb balls :lol:

Dave <-- agrees, and thinks whoever is not shooting should remain seated