Mark Gregory Ruined my table!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Looks beautiful. I hope people actually open your message and read it so they do not look at just the title and think bad thoughts about this Gregory fellow. That would be unfortunate.

Mark is to solid as a perfectionist to worry about what people might think, to many people have already seen the level of Marks craftsmanship to think otherwise. :grin:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Centennial was introduced a little before my time. Those in rooms when I first came up were already well worn. Can any of you old farts that go back that far tell me in all honesty, did they look this good brand new from the factory?

Superb craftsmanship, MG. ;)

I believe the Centennials did not have the polished aluminum skirts from the factory. They were painted a grayish color. After the paint was removed most table owners polished the aluminum to a high luster. When polished, they will remain so, as long as they are kept out of the weather. Requiring polishing every so often.
The rosewood rails were always beautiful.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The finish is so good looking
The table is perfect
The fireplace is also beautiful,nice setting for the table

as far the remarks by Larry and King Cobra
My tender feelings are hurt
In Larry's case a new cue would help

As far as the Cobra goes ,I will need some special work done soon

Then I will be OK for a while

I knew you'd say something Dean...:thumbup:

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love it when people criticizing say
"I am not criticizing"

Not at all. I'd love to own that table. I was asked what they really looked like when new, and I answered the guy's question. Stop cruising for a damn argument. I was there, and you were not. Issue closed...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Astounding work, but in reality overly restored. My mint original Anniversary has a standard "Formica" finish and the metal trim is nowhere near as sparkling as some do them. This is how they came in the 60's. I was there the very first day that Shaw Lanes in E. Cleveland opened. They had c. 12 brand new Anniversary tables, and I can assure you none looked this museum-like.

Not a criticism, just an observation. Just like in classic cars, a true "restoration" brings the car back to the condition in which it rolled off the carryall. Some prefer to go over the top and over restore so that under-hood looks way more shiny and perfect than what the original ever was. Just a matter of preference, I guess, but to me, a restoration is just that; making it like when it left the factory.

I think you're 100% right, all the tables like this one should be restored to as original as possible...design flaws and all. I think who ever pays 8K+ should expect the rails to look flat in color, should expect the aluminum moulding to be dull in shine, and question why the table don't play like today's tables do. I also think to be original, the rails should come loose because the rail bolt anchor plates were only held in with 2 wood screws each, then later the figure 8 nut plate which always pulled loose, pocket casting should come loose, and the rail blinds should be held in place with wood screws as well.....yeah, there's plenty of people selling tables just like that already today....and for top dollar at that. But if a person LIKES playing pool for real....instead of just looking at a pool table sitting in a room like a piece of furniture. ...Mark is the only person in the world today that is going to produce a modernized piece of history with all the upgrades in quality he can think of included in the table;)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well this came much quicker than I had guessed it might have.

Please don't rain on the OP's parade with a lot of needless negativity. It seems every rails thread where you post disintegrates into a load of crap.

I was asked what the tables looked like when new, and I responded.

I apologize to the OP. I should have known you would turn this into an ego driven match of wits thread, and a "look at how good and how smart I am thread."

You do good work. We all freakin' get it, Glenn. Furthermore, every antique table was not put thru the rigors of commercial use, and although it's hard to believe that a table which you didn't personally work on plays perfectly, it does sometimes happen.

You are the most negative person I have ever had the displeasure of knowing. Blow your Goddamned hot air at somebody else. I know you for who the hell you really are.

I again apologize to the OP for tainting a thread about a truly remarkable table.

BTW, no need for nasty retorts. We don't need another 50 posts thread, containing 75% of which posts are you throwing back insults to anyone who dares to disagree with you.

Haven't you yet realized that this is a common situation in just about each and every thread you choose to honor us with your glorious patronage. You can bet your conceited ass, it doesn't impress me. It's a shame 'cause you actually could be a valuable asset to this community, if you only knew a modicum about the social graces.

I also apologize to the other contributors to this thread. Sometimes folks apparently just don't get it, and I for one, am really tired of all this never ending, self serving bullshit.

Last edited:

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
damn, so sad, absolutely unplayable, that table's been ruinized...and this thread is heading in that direction, lol

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words

Thanks for all the kind words folks!

Bob, my buddy who also has a centennial winces at mine because it doesn't look original, but I love the look of mine because it is different than most and the high gloss brings out the wood grain, and the fingerprints....

I think Glen's point is simply that Mark improves these tables and then customizes them to the client'side tastes. Mark warned me that it would be high gloss so I knew it wouldn't be "original" so to speak.

Dean, I'm looking forward to seeing the table Mark is building for you! I'll have to come over and take pictures to post.

And what's AZ without a good dust up? :D we've got better things to do than ***** at one another....like shooting pool. I'm off!-Ryan

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sent Mark my Centennial rails to clean up and apply his new finish. And look what he returned to me! I sent him rails for a pool table and he returned pieces of art. My wife won't even let me play on the table because it's so beautiful. So thanks a lot Mark! :smile: In all seriousness Mark's new finish is outstanding and really draws out the color and grain in the wood. So Dean here are the pictures you've ironically been requesting.
20160307_131706_RichtoneHDR_zpsdywbo6js.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160307_131539_RichtoneHDR_zpsmwhce68j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160307_131637_RichtoneHDR_zps9elvqoay.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ram, absolutely gorgeous congrats. The depth on the wood is amazing! These have been my dream table for quite some time, my favorite is the lacquered black with mirror polish.Enjoy your table brother, it's amazing!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well this came much quicker than I had guessed it might have.

Please don't rain on the OP's parade with a lot of needless negativity. It seems every rails thread where you post disintegrates into a load of crap.

I was asked what the tables looked like when new, and I responded.

I apologize to the OP. I should have known you would turn this into an ego driven match of wits thread, and a "look at how good and how smart I am thread."

You do good work. We all freakin' get it, Glenn. Furthermore, every antique table was not put thru the rigors of commercial use, and although it's hard to believe that a table which you didn't personally work on plays perfectly, it does sometimes happen.

You are the most negative person I have ever had the displeasure of knowing. Blow your Goddamned hot air at somebody else. I know you for who the hell you really are.

I again apologize to the OP for tainting a thread about a truly remarkable table.

BTW, no need for nasty retorts. We don't need another 50 posts thread, containing 75% of which posts are you throwing back insults to anyone who dares to disagree with you.

Haven't you yet realized that this is a common situation in just about each and every thread you choose to honor us with your glorious patronage. You can bet your conceited ass, it doesn't impress me. It's a shame 'cause you actually could be a valuable asset to this community, if you only knew a modicum about the social graces.

I also apologize to the other contributors to this thread. Sometimes folks apparently just don't get it, and I for one, am really tired of all this never ending, self serving bullshit.

Awww Bob, don't get your panties all in a twist, we're just voicing our opinions right:thumbup:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mark Gregory Ruined my table................ If that's ruined I like to see his premium work:thumbup2:

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Thanks for all the kind words folks!

Bob, my buddy who also has a centennial winces at mine because it doesn't look original, but I love the look of mine because it is different than most and the high gloss brings out the wood grain, and the fingerprints....

Well, I suppose if you really want the authentic pool hall look the rails should have dings, dents, and cigarette burns all around too, lol!

They didn't come with the polished aluminum bits either but I've seen those that are and if it was going in my home I'd probably do it that way. The look is sensational.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are all truly blessed in having the privilege to own any of these iconic tables.

Yours is truly one of the finest examples that I've ever had the joy of seeing!

We are merely caretakers of these historic tables. May you find unlimited hours of enjoyment with yours, and rest assured that due to your restoration, it will be a family treasure for many more generations. Well done, Sir! :thumbup:

Rillix

Xtreme Pool Challenge
Silver Member
Yeah that bugger has "ruined" a few of our centennials as well..... Always enjoy seeing the pictures of his work on centennials they are always gorgeous tables.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gorgeous table and I love the straight cut pockets. That's the way pockets are supposed to be, perfectly straight pocket facings. Many of the best older tables were made this way.