Slow play

LegitStick1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a player on my team that at times can be a very slow player. We were playing a team and one of the players on the other team we were playing blew up and made a fuss of his slow play. He was playing fairly slow that night, but he also ran 3 of his 4 tables so I feel it was justified.

I can sit and watch a guy play and stare at the table all night for all I care. I just hope to get a turn back on the table.

Does slow play get under your skin?

darmoose

Shutin@urhole is OVERATED
Silver Member
I have a player on my team that at times can be a very slow player. We were playing a team and one of the players on the other team we were playing blew up and made a fuss of his slow play. He was playing fairly slow that night, but he also ran 3 of his 4 tables so I feel it was justified.

I can sit and watch a guy play and stare at the table all night for all I care. I just hope to get a turn back on the table.

Does slow play get under your skin?
I find that most time people complaining about slow play, have just been beat or are currently being beat by a player they want to say is slow. For my part, its about winning and getting the cheese, not how many games you can play in an hour.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
I'm an extremely quick player and, although I would never complain or raise the issue with anybody, I must admit that I do find slow play a tad frustrating.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure of the format of your league, but the problem with slow play is that it inconveniences everyone on both teams. I've played teams where one slow player can slow down the whole evening's pace by 30 to 45 minutes - and for no reason.

And, as has previously mentioned, in many cases slow play can be a "move".

I think ALL competitive pool (including leagues) should have the ability to impose a shot clock. Even if it's 60 seconds between shots and an extension.

Gideon

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a limit. I would never rush anyone....however I play against someone in leagues...takes about 25 strokes and has no idea when he is going to fire. I feel like taking 30 strokes just to send a message.

Last edited:

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow play doesn't bother me when I am playing, but as a league operator who waits for all the money and score sheets to be turned in, it can be a hassle. Matches normally last 2.5 to 3 hours, and when two slow teams get together they can take up to 4.5 hours.

In our league we have a few excellent players who are molasses-like, but by far the majority of our slow players are also not that good.

Only once in my life have I purposely slowed down to throw an opponent off. 2008 BCAPL Nationals, I was playing a speed pool champion from England in the Open singles. He was much better than I was. He broke and ran the first table in about 45 seconds. It was dizzying watching him run around the table. I'm usually a quick player but I took a good minute or two with each shot. He got a little frazzled. Pushed him to hill-hill before he finally won.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I run a small league and play on another. I see players take 90 to 100 minutes to complete 6 games of 8Ball. This is Crazy. Analyzing, coaching , thinking, rethinking, taking long breaks.

To many players waiting.

Over the set, anything over 10 minutes a game is to long.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play One Pocket!

If a guy cant figure out what to do after you shot in One Pocket, you've done the right thing. You want to force your opponent to have to figure out his next move, how to get out of the trap.

The longer he takes the better your move was. Play One Pocket and you will never care how long your 9 Ball, 10 Ball or 8 Ball opponent takes, it will actually become entertaining, especially when your winning and you know his slow play wont help him.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put the SOB on the clock

Yes, there is a limit to slow play during league. We play Sunday nights and we have 5 games of 8 and 5 games of 9 to complete. I also have a freaking day job come Monday morning. I get methodical but flat out being slow because you need to analyze every shot for 5 minutes has to be put to a stop.

We have a guy in our league that plays slower in 8 and 9 than ANY one pocket player I have ever played. If you need to be that slow, league is NOT for you!

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, there is a limit to slow play during league. We play Sunday nights and we have 5 games of 8 and 5 games of 9 to complete. I also have a freaking day job come Monday morning. I get methodical but flat out being slow because you need to analyze every shot for 5 minutes has to be put to a stop.

We have a guy in our league that plays slower in 8 and 9 than ANY one pocket player I have ever played. If you need to be that slow, league is NOT for you!
I agree

Ten games should take under 2 hours, especially if 5 games are 9 ball.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
There you go , we have a winner

I'm not sure of the format of your league, but the problem with slow play is that it inconveniences everyone on both teams. I've played teams where one slow player can slow down the whole evening's pace by 30 to 45 minutes - and for no reason.

And, as has previously mentioned, in many cases slow play can be a "move".

I think ALL competitive pool (including leagues) should have the ability to impose a shot clock. Even if it's 60 seconds between shots and an extension.

Gideon

Slow play , everyone's opinions :barf:

What is in the rule book is what counts , not anyone's opinion.

ABC simple, follow the rules or get a foul called on you....
Same goes for me, I don't follow the rules and I get a foul called on me .

If I break the same rule over and over i should be toss out of match...................

Someone who is a slow player and gets fouls called on him often in one match should loose the match.

If some one breaks the same rule over and over knows they are cheating.

There is a difference. someone accidently bumps a ball on the table .
Everyone thinks its a accident, but done over and over is not a accident.
Its cheating........

Last edited:

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow players should never be tolerated. In the 60's and 70's, if you slow played someone, you got no action. I've unscrewed on a lot of slow players.
Somehow, in the 80's, while I was away from pool, it all changed. Slow play was allowed, jumping balls ( a foul since pocket billiards started ), players talking ( sharking ) while you're shooting, 1 foul replacing 2 shot pushout ( what a joke ), etc.
99% of slow play is a 'move'. You may think you can fade it, but it usually effects your
play.In league or tourney play, you cant 'unscrew'. So there has to be a called shot clock
for the 'slow-sharking' players. I dont play league and very few tourneys, so its not a big
deal for me ( I hate to see it though ). But I can and do still unscrew on slow playing nits.
Good luck leagues and tourneys, you need to stop the nits, but they are everywhere.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Change it

I run a small league and play on another. I see players take 90 to 100 minutes to complete 6 games of 8Ball. This is Crazy. Analyzing, coaching , thinking, rethinking, taking long breaks.

To many players waiting.

Over the set, anything over 10 minutes a game is to long.

Just a Idea
You run the league, tell the team captions that the slow rule is going to start being enforced .....................................................

The only issue is who carrying around a shot clock or who is going to be the official time keeper ...

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It depends on the circumstances. If a neophyte is playing then it's too damn slow to watch. If the player is reasonably good then he's just a slow player. If it's a pro at the table then he's deliberate. :)

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a Idea
You run the league, tell the team captions that the slow rule is going to start being enforced .....................................................

The only issue is who carrying around a shot clock or who is going to be the official time keeper ...
I complain to the offending players , that usually works. I have no limits on coaching. Any one turn can take a long time, just not on every turn. Please just finish your match, 5 8B and 5 9B, 10 games, in under 2 hours.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I complain to the offending players , that usually works. I have no limits on coaching. Any one turn can take a long time, just not on every turn. Please just finish your match, 5 8B and 5 9B, 10 games, in under 2 hours.

Well that's one of many issues that leagues have.
Glade its not my head ache .

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on how slow...

Every one has a right to look the table over before the shot. I think 45 seconds is enough time. Just shoot the darn ball for craps sake.

Well, that's my thoughts on slow play.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think in many instances those that are so undecided and take forever to pull the trigger are "mind fu#king" themselves. Let em play slow cause more than not, I'm gonna get back to the table.