Project Tomahawk ferrule material.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
1st time using the Tomahawk
i like it
machines & polishes up real nice
hit a few balls with it yesterday
had a couple other guys that have my cues with elforyn or juma ferrules try it out
we all agreed, it was a little crispier hit than the elf or juma

Attachments

• DSC04156.jpg
    DSC04156.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC04163.JPG
    DSC04163.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 438

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Reference photo

Thank you Brent for posting your thoughts, and the photos. Here is an excellent photo that Bob Dzuricky was kind enough to provide me as a nice reference pic. Thank you BDZ!
j2

ferrule colors.jpg

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All paid orders.

All paid orders have shipped. I will inventory this evening to see what I have left.
My sincere thanks to everyone who has shown interest, and ordered. I will no longer be limiting order quantity after this batch.
Regards.
j2

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
id like a foot of your material.Looks good. Thanks Bill

Payment received,
Thank you Bill. Your material will ship in the morning. :cool:

At present, I have approximately 12 feet of material left that is not spoken for.
My thanks to everyone.
j2

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I am really excited to get some feedback from the cue builders I plan to send the samples I purchased to. Can anyone who has tried it compare it to the old school Micarta that would become yellowed as far as performance?

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am really excited to get some feedback from the cue builders I plan to send the samples I purchased to. Can anyone who has tried it compare it to the old school Micarta that would become yellowed as far as performance?

Hope you have received your material Shooter. I have never played with the original Micarta, so I can't speak to it's performance, but...as a stand alone, I believe my material either competes with, or out performs anything in the current market.
Hope you like it.
Thank you again.
Joe P.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Updates

If anyone who has received their material, has anything they would like to share, sanding, final polishing tips, techniques, performance reviews, honest thoughtful opinions, etc...Please feel free to post here. If anyone is interested, I still have 10 feet left that is not spoken for, and 2 feet that I am holding for Shankster8 if he decides he would like to have them. I sincerely appreciate everyone's interest, and business. :cool:
Thanks again.
Joe P.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got my Tomahawk rods today. Gonna try installing one tomorrow for a 3 cushion shaft.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Sent mine to a cue builder I greatly respect, will report back once I hear their opinion. If it is great will large qtys be available for order, 50 feet if not more?

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sent mine to a cue builder I greatly respect, will report back once I hear their opinion. If it is great will large qtys be available for order, 50 feet if not more?

I should be able to satisfy any quantity needed. Might take a week or so to get that much in, but it is likely doable.
Thanks again to everyone.
Joe P.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
This ferrule is easier to work with than the melamine you get these days.
You can tap them or live thread them.
Need a nice sharp cutter of course with a little corner radius.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This ferrule is easier to work with than the melamine you get these days.
You can tap them or live thread them.
Need a nice sharp cutter of course with a little corner radius.

Thank you Joey B. When I first started this project, Joey was one of the first people who tested this material for me. He is owed many thanks and much appreciation for being super cool with his time and advice.
Thanks again Joey.
Joe P.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tomahawk update

Approximately 6 feet of material still in stock. :cool:
j2

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
So far I've only done 2 ferrules with it so far,one was on a scrap shaft and this one was for a customer.

I haven't done a shitload of thermoplastic ferrules,but so far in my limited experience this stuff sure doesn't act like a thermoplastic.

For example,the original Meucci ivory-grained ABS ferrule that was on this shaft when I got it was removed simply by putting the lathe spindle in reverse and wrapping a piece of leather around it. The friction softened the plastic enough that it came apart in pieces until I got down to the ferrule seam,and from there it just spun off.

On the new ferrule,the drilling chips came out VERY long and were pretty sharp as well. In this case the ferrule needed to be drilled out to .370,and following Bob's advice I first drilled a .348 hole (S drill) and followed with a .358 (T drill) before a very light pass with a boring bar.

The reason I say it doesn't act like a thermoplastic is the chips were "tough" meaning not easily pulled apart and broken like Juma or Elforyn. The chips were SHARP too,and it wouldn't have taken much to have cut myself trying to pull them apart,so this is something new. In your own experiments,be careful ;).

So far I've only glued it with JB Weld ClearWeld,which I believe to be the best readily-available 5 min epoxy out there with a tensile strength of 4400 PSI. I recently found a creamy ivory colored acrylic paint to tint the epoxy with which if everything else is done right,will make any glue seam damn near invisible.

This is my finished product. Tommy D.

Attachments

• 0424161628.jpg
    0424161628.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 320
Last edited: