(FAQ) How do you use the tangent line?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Write clearer.

Perhaps that explains why you two(2) guys & another almost always quote & 'talk' so much out of context.

READ the postS.

The post that I quoted & was commenting on clearly made reference to Follow & Draw.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to the OP. Following the link and what was diagramed I think I have a pretty good handle on changing the tangent line. In the diagram depending on where the next object ball I want to pocket is I would either shorten or lengthen the tangent line to avoid the scratch.
As I understand it, speed of the table, cloth, rails and speed of hit come into play. I prefer not to make whitie move to much unless I absolutely have to. Not to make light of the subject I don't take a protractor to the pool hall. I just finger it out to the best of my ability.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to the OP. Following the link and what was diagramed I think I have a pretty good handle on changing the tangent line. In the diagram depending on where the next object ball I want to pocket is I would either shorten or lengthen the tangent line to avoid the scratch.
As I understand it, speed of the table, cloth, rails and speed of hit come into play. I prefer not to make whitie move to much unless I absolutely have to. Not to make light of the subject I don't take a protractor to the pool hall. I just finger it out to the best of my ability.
[/U]

Depending on your life experiences, occupation, hobbies, etc...recognition and visualization of right angles/90 degrees/tangent lines at the pool table can be easy or not.

If one can see that a picture frame is hung 'straight'...close enough in my book.

I agree that given a nearly equal choice of little or a lot of cb travel for shape...less is more.

It is in those cases that call for lots of cb travel, that recognizing, using and modifying tangent line paths, combined with spin, cushions and speed, getting us around the table.

Especially, when the rock wants to roll...give it some quidance...then let it go.

Passing this tidbit along to new players, is the biggest favor you can pass along to new players.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly! Which is why the 90/30 rule is the easiest way to help people understand (and demonstrate) the difference between a sliding and rolling CB.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

[/[/COLOR]U][/B]

Depending on your life experiences, occupation, hobbies, etc...recognition and visualization of right angles/90 degrees/tangent lines at the pool table can be easy or not.

If one can see that a picture frame is hung 'straight'...close enough in my book.

I agree that given a nearly equal choice of little or a lot of cb travel for shape...less is more.

It is in those cases that call for lots of cb travel, that recognizing, using and modifying tangent line paths, combined with spin, cushions and speed, getting us around the table.

Especially, when the rock wants to roll...give it some quidance...then let it go.

Passing this tidbit along to new players, is the biggest favor you can pass along to new players.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The cue ball will ALWAYS leave the contact point at 90 degrees. How far the ball stays on the tangent line is a matter of the cue ball speed and action.

At high speeds, the cue ball will not have traction on the cloth and will exactly follow the tangent line. Only when it slows down can it interact with the cloth and curve off the line.

The trick is to learn how to predict exactly where on the tangent line that the curve begins and how much it bends.

In 3-cushion billiards, the top players have completely mastered these curves and all their variations. Most of the time, when they shoot into the first ball, it travels straight into the rail. The cue ball speed and spin determines where it hits the first cushion in the shot.

A good example of how quickly you can get the cue ball off of the tangent line is hitting a shot about a ball off the long rail where the cue ball would normally scratch. You can avoid the scratch with slow speed and a lot of draw, once you try it it gets pretty amazing that you can avoid what looks like a definite scratch.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Howdy folks -

Here's some good advice to help new players use real-world physics to control what they can do with the cue ball (from my book, "FAQs of Pool").

http://www.billiardgods.com/gk-use-tangent-line/

It's a good idea to share stuff l like this with them. We all need to ensure good competitors in the future!!! :lovies:

Good luck - shoot straight
Good write-up and illustrations, Allan.

FYI, to those interested, I also cover this and related topics in great detail with video demonstrations, illustrations, and complete sets of instructional articles on the following resource pages:

90-degree rule

30-degree rule

CB trajectory speed effects

where the CB goes for different cases

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The cue ball will ALWAYS leave the contact point at 90 degrees.
Allan,

This is true, technically speaking; but for all practical purposes, with slow-rolling shots (very common in good pool play), the CB heads in the 30-degree natural-angle direction pretty much immediately after it comes off the OB.

Also, as others have pointed out, with straight (and nearly straight) stop, follow, and draw shots, the CB doesn't really head down the tangent line at all.

I know you know all of this, but it has apparently caused some confusion.

Regards,
Dave

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
You create the tangent line it doesn’t create you.

The tangent line may be the most simple part of a pool shot to understand next to make sure you have at least one eye open. It's really simple stuff even for beginners to learn, non pool players can learn it in 5 minutes with 1/2 a brain.

It's all about the cue ball. When you control the cue ball you own the tangent line, it’s a blur.

When you master the stroke, speed, spin, tip placement around the clocks, you have total control of where you want to send the cue ball; you control the lines you want.
We are constantly altering the natural line through stroke technique, cutting across the angle is everyday life, and we play for those across angles, its part of pool and position play. You better know your spin and cue ball, especially when cutting across.

In four hours of play count how many times you landed natural roll forward or had to make adjustments off the line. How many times you have to get in the second line to gain position.

Watch top players and you hear how great they move the cue ball, you never hear how well they use the tangent line. The best players land on the roll line more often (not as often as you think) because of their cue ball control. I believe controlling the secondary line is more important than the tangent, especially when cutting across.

Learn 3 cushion billiards and master the cue ball. You will learn the cue ball at warp speed compared to the alternative methods of learning; the tangent line becomes a pimple on an elephant's ass. Your safety game will jump 10 notches while your cousin is concerned how many degrees the tangent line is.

It's all about the cue ball and how to alter the lines to get in your tracks.
He who has the best cue ball today usually wins.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Dave! That is all I was saying in my first post in this thread. I thought the difference between sliding and rolling CB's wasn't made clear enough for some players to understand. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
Allan,

This is true, technically speaking; but for all practical purposes, with slow-rolling shots (very common in good pool play), the CB heads in the 30-degree natural-angle direction pretty much immediately after it comes off the OB.

Also, as others have pointed out, with straight (and nearly straight) stop, follow, and draw shots, the CB doesn't really head down the tangent line at all.

I know you know all of this, but it has apparently caused some confusion.

Regards,
Dave

PoolChump

Banned
That needs some clarification Allen. The CB only leaves at 90 when the CB is sliding into contact with the OB. At slower speeds the CB will be rolling when it contacts the OB (unless the distance between CB & OB is very close), and will leave at 30 degrees, not 90.

Scott Lee

Regardless of the speed of the cue ball and the angle that the cue ball and object ball contact, the cue ball will travel away from the object ball and the contact point between them at right angles.

Allen, I would listen to everything Mr. Scott Lee says. Master Troll.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You create the tangent line it doesn’t create you.

The tangent line may be the most simple part of a pool shot to understand next to make sure you have at least one eye open. It's really simple stuff even for beginners to learn, non pool players can learn it in 5 minutes with 1/2 a brain.

It's all about the cue ball. When you control the cue ball you own the tangent line, it’s a blur.

When you master the stroke, speed, spin, tip placement around the clocks, you have total control of where you want to send the cue ball; you control the lines you want.
We are constantly altering the natural line through stroke technique, cutting across the angle is everyday life, and we play for those across angles, its part of pool and position play. You better know your spin and cue ball, especially when cutting across.

In four hours of play count how many times you landed natural roll forward or had to make adjustments off the line. How many times you have to get in the second line to gain position.

Watch top players and you hear how great they move the cue ball, you never hear how well they use the tangent line. The best players land on the roll line more often (not as often as you think) because of their cue ball control. I believe controlling the secondary line is more important than the tangent, especially when cutting across.

Learn 3 cushion billiards and master the cue ball. You will learn the cue ball at warp speed compared to the alternative methods of learning; the tangent line becomes a pimple on an elephant's ass. Your safety game will jump 10 notches while your cousin is concerned how many degrees the tangent line is.

It's all about the cue ball and how to alter the lines to get in your tracks.
He who has the best cue ball today usually wins.

As usual... a very TRUE post & one that can be very helpful if one takes heed.

What you speak of is why I started spinning the CB at age 13 after seeing an elderly gentleman do so & coming up with easy shot after easy shot after easy shot.

It is also why I am glad that I saw that & started spinning the CB a few years before my first physics class.

IMO, as soon as one can pocket anything close to a spot shot they should start learning how to control the path of the CB & to MAKE it do what they want instead of letting it dictate the path by its natural tangent line, roll outcome, etc.

I have never checked for or looked for any '30*' natural rolling line.

As SS says the game rarely has runs where most if ANY of the shots should be played with 'natural' lines. As a player, one is almost always enhancing the line away from the 'natural' lines.

Anyway, Another Good & Truthful Post, Michael.

Best Wishes for You & Yours...& All,
Rick

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know him and would never wish to. His responses speaks for himself and I won't play.

You obviously have other accounts on here. And are just trolling. Won't be long before the mods get rid of you.