Is Max Eberle as big as a goof as I now think?

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
The KISS method is best here. Pool related too.
And it's right under Max's nose.
He has a nice picture on his FB page of pool balls casting shadows on the table from morning light of the Sun.
If he would just measure the length of the shadows and then again in winter, he would be hard pressed to explain away the difference in shadow length.
And of course the tilt of the earth. That they also dismiss.

Another simple shadow experiment also proves the curvature.
Basically measuring the shadow cast from the same height object (a 2' 2x4) from similar elevations at the same latitude say 500 miles apart.
***Spoiler alert!
They won't be the same.
No need to even bring NASA Moon landings etc....into the debate.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my favorite bits of trivia is that if the Earth were the same size as a cue ball it would be smoother than the cue ball!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The ice wall is my favorite part! :grin-square:

Ice wall....I don't see no stinkin' ice wall....

image.jpg

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
The KISS method is best here. Pool related too.
And it's right under Max's nose.
He has a nice picture on his FB page of pool balls casting shadows on the table from morning light of the Sun.
If he would just measure the length of the shadows and then again in winter, he would be hard pressed to explain away the difference in shadow length.
And of course the tilt of the earth. That they also dismiss.
On the other hand, in the vid on Lake Michigan and in other footage I've seen, the sun clearly creates a "hot spot" or bright spot on the water (round). If the sun were 93 million miles away, all light rays would be perpendicular to the earth equally on all places on the earth, thus a "hot spot" should be impossible.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I have made no conclusions. The UN map/flag is real. I don't see any flights that go direct between those two points. I will wait until the Force The Line project is complete.

EDIT: I should point out that the UN map/flag and the Flightradar24 flights are just something I noticed. I haven't heard anyone make a solid conclusion on those two things.

Get A Grip,

Would you be so kind as to point out on this real United Nations map (your statement) where Antarctica is? Pretty sure it's a real place. My guess is it's the ice wall all around the edge of the globe :rolleyes: . The mapmaker must have forgotten to include it.

Lyn

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have made no conclusions. The UN map/flag is real. I don't see any flights that go direct between those two points. I will wait until the Force The Line project is complete.

EDIT: I should point out that the UN map/flag and the Flightradar24 flights are just something I noticed. I haven't heard anyone make a solid conclusion on those two things.

The UN flag is a symbol, and is in no way literal, let alone evidence of anything.

Historically there have be commercial and non-commercial flights across the South Atlantic.
Also there are centuries of nautical Trans-Atlantic trips with no one commenting on the trips across the South Atlantic being considerably longer than those in the North Atlantic.

Yeah, yeah, I know...they are all part of the conspiracy to keep this monumental secret.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Get A Grip,

Would you be so kind as to point out on this real United Nations map (your statement) where Antarctica is? Pretty sure it's a real place. My guess is it's the ice wall all around the edge of the globe :rolleyes: . The mapmaker must have forgotten to include it.

Lyn

Sure, on that map/flag, Antarctica appears to be where the wheat leafs are located. You know, circling everything like an ice wall. :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The earth is 24,901 miles in circumference and this guy wants to see a visible curve in 16 miles... lol wow

The arc of 16 miles is about 10'. So he's trying to see the distance of 10' in a photo taken so far away that you can barely see sky scrapers. Just amazing.
Actually, one of the ways that the curvature of the Earth was noticed is by the appearance of approaching ships gradually rising out of the sea. But my arithmetic is different from yours. For a distance of 16 miles I get a distance below the local horizon of 338 feet, so the effect is larger than you estimate. At a distance of 5 miles, the apparent drop is 33 feet. Unless my arithmetic is off as well.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm more than a little disappointed that this thread was allowed to go past the first day.
Max Eberle's or anyone elses beliefs are just that, beliefs.
If he chooses to think that way, who are any of us to single him out and call him derogatory names.
You should really look to yourselves, and ask yourself, if you would like to be the subject of ridicule, on a website, that the majority of people you deal with visit.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm more than a little disappointed that this thread was allowed to go past the first day.
If he chooses to think that way, who are any of us to single him out and call him derogatory names.
You should really look to yourselves, and ask yourself, if you would like to be the subject of ridicule, on a website, that the majority of people you deal with visit.

Max Eberle is in the public domain...if he wants to profess his thoughts on anything....
....then he will get feedback....good, bad, or indifferent....just like the rest of us....
....only more so.

If anybody doesn't want their beliefs talked about, they have the right to remain silent.

I like Chopstick's sig line...."Don't believe everything you think."

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Max Eberle is in the public domain...if he wants to profess his thoughts on anything....
....then he will get feedback....good, bad, or indifferent....just like the rest of us....
....only more so.

If anybody doesn't want their beliefs talked about, they have the right to remain silent.

I like Chopstick's sig line...."Don't believe everything you think."

How does the saying go? "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Lyn

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How does the saying go? "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your moutn and remove all doubt".

Lyn

This is what I like about belonging to AZ, Lyn.
It's an open forum....and we WILL get feedback...
...no 'unfriending' to silence the opposition.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
This is what I like about belonging to AZ, Lyn.
It's an open forum....and we WILL get feedback...
...no 'unfriending' to silence the opposition.

Unfortunately AZ has the "Ignore" button. Fulfills the same basic function as "unfriending".

Like Max alot. We never talk anything but pool. Guess I'll keep it that way. He really is a GREAT guy and pool player..

Lyn

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

Yep, I get plenty of flak for my view that the earth is shaped like a giant Krispy Kreme doughnut.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Fortunately, Max has a lot of fun with this. And he is the one on Facebook regularly espousing his ideas on the subject, so he has indeed brought this on.

Again, he is very cordial in his debate on the subject, and from across cyber-space, seems like a very likeable person. Despite my belief that his theories on this subject are a bit.....off.

He has so much fun with it that I wonder often if he truly believes this, or if its an elaborate ruse on his part, to stir up "stuff". He certainly seems intelligent enough to pull such a thing off, tho he'd have to be very committed to the facade. You know, like countless hundreds of thousands of people would have to be to facilitate the grand NASA conspiracies about the moon landings.... :p

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also wonder if it is an elaborate joke on Max's part as well. You would have to be pretty paranoid to really believe in these conspiracies. I don't know him personally at all so I can't tell