Mika

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post JAM and thanks for the pictures.

I may be the minority, but I love Earl. I love to watch him play, I love to watch him chirp and float around the table. It adds color and drama, exactly what this boring spectator sport needs.

Earl is the only reason I watched the finals of the straight pool tournament. If it was Jayson and Mika, I would have been doing yard work or taking a nap.

I hope Earl is at the derby this year again and I'm sure all the sponsors do as well.

Ian

Ian you're not in the minority...I love Earl too. He does get out of hand at times but I believe it's because he is very hard on himself and only expects perfection which eludes all of us as we age.

I sometimes find myself watching Earl's matches from back in the day on YouTube and he was truly amazing even compared to todays young players.
:thumbup2:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its funny that Earl would complain about prize money. IMO, he is a contributing factor for the lack of sponsors.

That's right!!!

You can't act like an idiot and scream and get mad at your self and your
opponents plus taunt the audience and expect to get sponsors at the same time.
Of course companies don't want to support that.
Then of course he complains and wines about it like the half-wit he is.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who think Earl is "loved" by sponsors.....

How is that Cuetec sweetheart sponsorship going for Earl?

Yeah, thats what I thought. ;)

Ken

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who think Earl is "loved" by sponsors.....

How is that Cuetec sweetheart sponsorship going for Earl?

Yeah, thats what I thought. ;)

Ken

The lady retired from Cuetec at the time Earl parted ways with Cuetec.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
The InsidePOOL article claims that Mika is the 76th World 14.1 champion. A champion, he is for sure. The title of "world," however, comes in dispute in some circles, but that's not the reason for this thread.

This is to celebrate the almighty win. Though Mika Immonen is from Finland, he has resided in the Big Apple for 15 years. Most European champions who come to the States decide they want to take up house here, even though today most of the lucrative pool events are not here in America. They are around the world.

Earl posted on Facebook his disappointment in playing pool for five consecutive days and wining a mere $4,000 for second place. I empathize with his stance. Staying in New York City is damn expensive. Been there and done that. As it is with most pool events, you must come in first, second, or third place to break even, unless you're sleeping in a car and eating fast food at McDonald's.

I'm not going to take anything away from Mika, though. He's a very deserving winner, and my hat is off to Earl for rising to the top too. As is the case when Earl competes, this event was not without fireworks :D

But that's not the topic of this thread. We have enough threads about that subject matter elsewhere on this forum, don't you think? :wink:

Interesting shoe choice by the third-place winner, Taiwan’s Lo Liwen, on his bronze medal performance in his first World 14.1 event.

A picture speaks a thousand words. Notice the gap between Mika and Earl in this photo. The thrill of the victory and the agony of defeat. :cool::p:thumbup:

Photo courtesy of Joseph Ratka.

Good for Mika, well done. In the absence of any "sanctioned" world championships this tournament has been running for a number of years now.

It's time for the pissing contest to end and the winners of this tournament to be recognized for the world champions they are.

To do otherwise would further the decline of this sport.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl has nothing to do with the lack of sponsors in pool. There are no sponsors in pool because its boring to watch. period.

Look at the biggest tv sport in the US, football. Players do bad, and even criminal stuff all the time. Based on the logic, all sponsors would have pulled the plug on football after a few of these on and off field events that have occurred. None of this has happened. you know why? People love to watch football.

sorry for my rant, but to say earl is why there are no sponsors in pool is a joke.

The only chance pool has to be popular is round up all the true characters and market them. And even this is like a snowball down south. Pool is just not exciting to watch.

Reactions: JAM

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed a lack of sponsors after the Buddy Hall vrs Mike Lebron final in Las Vegas many years ago. The top players wagered big that Lebron would win and sure enough they won money.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have played this tournament in the past so, not sure what your point is.

My point was; in answer to someone else, that THIS years field was not WPC caliber. IDK-6-7? years ago when it was sanctioned, the field had everyone and that WAS a WPC caliber field.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are ok with the current event being a World Championship (of straight pool)- How can it not be related to the past World Championships (of straight pool)?

This is not to say i think the current event is a WPC- I don't.

English much?

It is not a continuation of the tournaments of the past as is implied by the promoter.

On your other opinion - do you think the World Series is the world Championship of baseball?

Dale

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
English much?

It is not a continuation of the tournaments of the past as is implied by the promoter.

On your other opinion - do you think the World Series is the world Championship of baseball?

Dale

Yes.

MLB has the best players from around the world.

The best team outside of the MLB would have their hands full playing the worst team in the MLB.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a reason why the WPA requires a certain minimum of added money in order to sanction an event, and it's not about collecting the sanction fee. It's because you shouldn't give an event a title of world championship if many of it's international players couldn't afford to attend.

$4000 for second prize would barely be a break-even situation for international players. You can do the math from there.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Billiards Digest Publisher Mike Panozzo's September article entitled "Pool's Best-Kept Secret" says it all --> HERE.

"As it stands today, pool’s inability to grow is nothing more than a self-fulfilling prophecy. If the sport’s world championship is treated like a Tuesday night bar league tournament, how could it possibly grow?"

In one corner of the earth, you have a $200,000 total purse with $40,000 for first place. In another corner of the earth, you must come in first, second, or third to break even.

It is sad that this is the state of affairs in the pool world for 2016, and it keeps getting worse and worse. It is a nightmare! :(

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point was; in answer to someone else, that THIS years field was not WPC caliber. IDK-6-7? years ago when it was sanctioned, the field had everyone and that WAS a WPC caliber field.

Yep that was what Darren said on ABR interview
The field when it was sanctioned was much much stronger than this year which had only about 10 out of 48 (about 20% of the field) can win the whole thing. In the W9B these past years, the field is so strong that half or more of the field can win the whole thing Plus the prizemoney also dropped to 10K for 1st/4K for 2nd. And according to Darren, the promoter allegedly made about $30K this year while added money this year was peanuts $4K
:)

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep that was what Darren said on ABR interview
The field when it was sanctioned was much much stronger than this year which had only about 10 out of 48 (about 20% of the field) can win the whole thing. In the W9B these past years, the field is so strong that half or more of the field can win the whole thing Plus the prizemoney also dropped to 10K for 1st/4K for 2nd. And according to Darren, the promoter allegedly made about $30K this year while added money this year was peanuts $4K

Earl made the same comment on FB, but my question is did Charlie Williams or Dragon clear $30,000 after paying for equipment, advertising, referees, trophies, et cetera, or did he pocket $30,000 *after* paying expenses? Huge, huge difference.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl made the same comment on FB, but my question is did Charlie Williams or Dragon clear $30,000 after paying for equipment, advertising, referees, trophies, et cetera, or did he pocket $30,000 *after* paying expenses? Huge, huge difference.

Usually, when laymen say "made $30K" they mean net profit i.e. after all costs/ expenses. The sales/revenue/collections (from ppv, advertising , sponsorship etc) would have to be more maybe $60K or more. Basically the prizemoney was entry fees from 40+ players + added money $4K so players were just paying themselves.
Of cos, promoter has to make money and cannot do this pro bono but if it is true that promoter made profit of $30K and only added/contributed $4K to prizemoney that sounds very disproportionate.
All this is prompting Darren to start his own Dynamite Productions (DP) 8 ball tour. So now we have another DP in addition to other DP (Dragon Promotions)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM...To keep the story accurate, after her brother passed away (he was in charge of the company), Janet Shimel tried to keep the company going for another couple of years. After that, she decided to retire, and sold J&S Sales (Cuetec importer) to Mike at Imperial. Earl had a multiyear contract with J&S, but after the deal was done, Earl was called in and fired. The contract was torn up, and Mike invited Earl to try to sue him. LOL There was no love lost between Mike and Earl. Now SVB has Earl's deal with Cuetec.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

The lady retired from Cuetec at the time Earl parted ways with Cuetec.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM...To keep the story accurate, after her brother passed away (he was in charge of the company), Janet Shimel tried to keep the company going for another couple of years. After that, she decided to retire, and sold J&S Sales (Cuetec importer) to Mike at Imperial. Earl had a multiyear contract with J&S, but after the deal was done, Earl was called in and fired. The contract was torn up, and Mike invited Earl to try to sue him. LOL There was no love lost between Mike and Earl. Now SVB has Earl's deal with Cuetec.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I heard a different side of the story. Of course, there's three sides, as they way. What you and I have ascertained is hearsay, since we are not Janet, Earl, or anyone at J&S Sales. :grin-square: