Whats the difference between RED, BLACK and BLUE label Diamond tables?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Red & Blue labels

I play in a few different rooms. Two have nothing but Diamonds , the other has all Gold Crowns.
The two rooms that have Diamonds are quite unique. The owners bought the tables in a batch, so one place has all blue labels, the other has older red labels.

I feel like I am comparing apples to oranges but, my feeling/experience has been that the room with the red label Diamond tables' play a bit more "springy" than the other rooms' Blue labels. The room with the blue labels is in a more populated area, so those tables do see quite a bit more foot traffic than the room with the red labels.

I grew up on the GC's so I guess I prefer GC's which would give me a bias.
Given ,the choice, I take a "tweeked" GC over anything else ! :smile: :grin:

P.S. "Springy," is a good way to describe how red label Diamonds bank.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what may be causing confusion is that some are not aware that most of the Red Label tables were corrected so they would play like the newer, improver version of the table.

Just because a Diamond has a Red Label does not mean that it is in it's original configuration. I have played on original Red Label tables and they were springy as hell and banked Way Short.

Just thought I'd throw this in.

Good Rolls.

Banks

Banned
Well, if a world champion banker can't tell, then there must be no difference.

If he can't tell, he's got a red in label only. It doesn't take a champ to tell the difference. If anyone wants to argue otherwise, they haven't played on both or just have no clue.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I think what may be causing confusion is that some are not aware that most of the Red Label tables were corrected so they would play like the newer, improver version of the table.

Just because a Diamond has a Red Label does not mean that it is in it's original configuration. I have played on original Red Label tables and they were springy as hell and banked Way Short.

Just thought I'd throw this in.

Good Rolls.

Most of them were corrected?
Someone came in and re-profiled them and replaced the rubber?

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of them were corrected?
Someone came in and re-profiled them and replaced the rubber?

Diamond did it themselves - Tables that were sold in volume to business were corrected with new rails by Diamond. Retail sales might be hit and miss but it's hard for me to believe the owners did not complain.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Diamond did it themselves - Tables that were sold in volume to business were corrected with new rails by Diamond. Retail sales might be hit and miss but it's hard for me to believe the owners did not complain.

There's only one of me to go around the country redesigning the red label to the blue label design, and there still a LOT of red ladles on the market...take my word for it, I know. I'll be back out on the road again in a few months I hope.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
There's only one of me to go around the country redesigning the red label to the blue label design, and there still a LOT of red ladles on the market...take my word for it, I know. I'll be back out on the road again in a few months I hope.

Wut, you're the only one who could do it?
Diamond has no other mechs to do it ?
They're never going to get caught up. Not this decade for sure.

How many red label Gold Crowns are there ? lol
Mine is, I think.
Springy and banks short. Way short.
Lots of double kisses when a ball is frozen on the rail.
Someone blamed the Germans for it.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

Mine is, I think.

d6fbf5c5523ca86e9298cab7d5b43154.png

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Mine is, I think.

Yes, I'm the ONLY traveling mechanic that can make the change at the location.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Yes, I'm the ONLY traveling mechanic that can make the change at the location.

Not good.
Poor pool hall owners who bought all those red labels .
They're gonna wait years or decades.
If there are still A LOT OF RED LABELS out there after so many years, I bet a lot of them have also been redone by some mechs who told the owners they can fix their problems. That'll be a beauty when done.
Heck, I knew one billiard table store here where the owner used to convince people, GC 3's played better with Olhausen cushions. And some poor souls fell for it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Not good.
If there are still A LOT OF RED LABELS out there after so many years, I bet a lot of them have also been redone by some mechs who told the owners they can fix their problems. That'll be a beauty when done.
Heck, I knew one billiard table store here where the owner used to convince people, GC 3's played better with Olhausen cushions. And some poor souls fell for it.

Joey, guess what....the red label design goes all the way back to when Diamond first started building pool table's.....when did you think they started making them? As far as someone else working on Diamonds not doing the work right....welcome to my world....but here's a little known secret....bad work is not limited to Diamonds, there's LOTS of tables screwed up by people that think they know what they're doing....the problem though....is the people that hire them. As it is, I may only work on the road for a few more years....I'm thinking more and more about retiring and spending the rest of my years with my kids and grand kids.

Banks

Banned
Not good.

Fact:

A used, unfixed 7' red label is still worth more than any used GC.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Joey, guess what....the red label design goes all the way back to when Diamond first started building pool table's.....when did you think they started making them? As far as someone else working on Diamonds not doing the work right....welcome to my world....but here's a little known secret....bad work is not limited to Diamonds, there's LOTS of tables screwed up by people that think they know what they're doing....the problem though....is the people that hire them. As it is, I may only work on the road for a few more years....I'm thinking more and more about retiring and spending the rest of my years with my kids and grand kids.

Dude, I remember when they had Championship cushions.
I was at the 1997 BCA.
They kept denying they banked short then.
Then they switched to Artemis. And that did not solve the problems.

I know of bad table work.Twice victim here.

The Diamond at Hard Times did not get much play there. And they had one there twice. Once in the 90's and once this decade.

Banks

Banned
The truth to that is told when trying to find a used Diamond table for sale....GC'S are everywhere.

I have people contacting me for both all of the time..

They want to buy a diamond.

They can't give away a GC.

I'm not sure which is the bigger hassle any more.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Dude, I remember when they had Championship cushions.
I was at the 1997 BCA.
They kept denying they banked short then.
Then they switched to Artemis. And that did not solve the problems.

I know of bad table work.Twice victim here.

The Diamond at Hard Times did not get much play there. And they had one there twice. Once in the 90's and once this decade.

The problem was not the cushions Joey. I've explained the problem several times in the past, I'm not explIng it again....use the.serch function.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have people contacting me for both all of the time..

They want to buy a diamond.

They can't give away a GC.

I'm not sure which is the bigger hassle any more.

I know, I can't keep up with the amount of requests I get on a daily basis to work on both, so when I get back out on the road again, I'll start chipping away at my waiting list again.

Miller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red label Diamonds are generally the older ones, they have a different sub-rail angle causing them to bank short and cause the rails to play real "springy".

Blue label Diamonds are the current tables coming from Diamond, they have the updated sub-rail angles making them bank longer and the rails do not play real "springy" like the red label Diamonds.

Red label tables can be converted to blue label by replacing the top of the table. As far as Dymondwood I understand that the factory burned down a little while back so there are not many if any at all Dymondwood tables being made, it has nothing to do with red and blue label differences.

my home table is a 9' diamond professional. purchased about 5 - 6 yrs ago and set up by diamond, had red label rails.

a few months ago, had tourney blue cloth put on it and had the rails upgraded. they pulled off the red label rails and replaced them with new blue label rails. they called it a "top replacement"

realkingcobra

Silver Member
my home table is a 9' diamond professional. purchased about 5 - 6 yrs ago and set up by diamond, had red label rails.

a few months ago, had tourney blue cloth put on it and had the rails upgraded. they pulled off the red label rails and replaced them with new blue label rails. they called it a "top replacement"

R3placing the top rails at this point in time is out of the question as Diamond at this point in time no longer has the availability of Rosewood or Charcoal Dymondwood to build the rails for replacement, so you can scratch that option off the list. Then, with Diamonds backlog of table production, even if Diamond was to start producing the Rosewood Dymondwood rails again, all the rails they build are going to go on new table sales first as they're not going to take new production rails and turn then into used rails when will not work on NEW tabel sales. It's coming up on 6 years since Diamond made the design change which was in October 2010, 7fts was in January 2011.

But, anyone who wants their Diamonds worked on are always more than welcome to to hire anyone they want. My only advice....make sure they know what they're doing first, there's a lot of bullshit table mechanics out there that'll swear to be able to do ANYTHING you're willing to pay them for....if there's no questions asked.

And NO ONE has to hire me, that's for sure....but keep in mind, I DO have a long waiting list....ask yourselves why that is? The ONLY reason I've been off the road is because of dealing with depression over the death of my son, my mom, and my wife...but I think I have it about under control, I'll know in the next few months.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
If he can't tell, he's got a red in label only. It doesn't take a champ to tell the difference. If anyone wants to argue otherwise, they haven't played on both or just have no clue.

I would bet my life that John's table is the factory standard red label diamond. Hell, I played on it personally just last month. It's the 2010 red label DCC TV table. I own a stock red label diamond as well. I know they changed it up for the blue label model, I just don't think that it matters much. Just imho.

Here's a link to the match I played on John's home table (post # 20 clearly shows the red label)

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12388

Anyway, it don't matter.much. it's just a game and it's sure better than going to work...:p