Finally found a copy of Rags to Rifleman

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I read Hall's book and can't believe anyone would pay even $50 for it, but then again I know Buddy for 30 years or more. He's not that exiting Johnnyt

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One man's trash may very well be another man's treasure.

Having the opportunity to experience an era amongst road players through storytelling is well worth any price paid - and Woody's storytelling is indeed entertaining and even engrossing at times. Brought many smiles to those I have shared this book with.

This one belongs in the "treasure" column.

My advice: IF you have the opportunity and means to get ahold of a copy for many, many hours of entertaining reading, don't hesitate.

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One man's trash may very well be another man's treasure.

Having the opportunity to experience an era amongst road players through storytelling is well worth any price paid - and Woody's storytelling is indeed entertaining and even engrossing at times. Brought many smiles to those I have shared this book with.

This one belongs in the "treasure" column.

My advice: IF you have the opportunity and means to get ahold of a copy for many, many hours of entertaining reading, don't hesitate.

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I'm not far from Paducah, I'd love to take a drive over

and see if I can find a copy. I've never read it but it sounds like

I'm missing out on a great read.Thanks for the heads up on it.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It ain't worth $10. Grady was an illiterate nincompoop who constantly uses "fancy" words wrong and couldn't spell for shit. His book is a garbled mess of syntax and misspellings. One critic, I forget who, wrote that this book "cries out for an editor." Obviously Grady edited the book himself. I don't think Grady ever went to high school.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
I guarantee Grady would have bet you all the money he could get together, that he could beat you doing the New York Times crossword puzzle.
Nincompoops and illiterate non spellers, don't fare well with it.
Obviously you didn't like Grady, but you chose the wrong subject, to demean a dead man, who had friends who knew better.
I hope you realize, how small you seem by belabouring him here.

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
I guarantee Grady would have bet you all the money he could get together, that he could beat you doing the New York Times crossword puzzle.
Nincompoops and illiterate non spellers, don't fare well with it.
Obviously you didn't like Grady, but you chose the wrong subject, to demean a dead man, who had friends who knew better.
I hope you realize, how small you seem by belabouring him here.

Glad you're here to be able to prove this guy really doesn't know

what he's talking about. Jealousy I say!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you guys are just too much to take. How sour are you?

I aint mad. I learned the secret to ultra category pool skill.

Just like your mama said: breakfast.

Unlike yer mamma said, breajfast is coffee, bacon, eggs and 4 snappers.

Oh, shit- save some money, too.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all of us who are interested in this book should go in on it, and then have one of us make a pdf of it to share with the world.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like it costs about $20 to have a company make a pdf from a book for you. Why are we paying $500+ to read this book?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks like it costs about $20 to have a company make a pdf from a book for you. Why are we paying $500+ to read this book?
It's not $500. Anyone who ignores laws should have no problem making an illegal copy.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The publishing company, Huckleberry Publishing Co., doesn't appear to exist anymore, so who owns the rights to this book? Buddy?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What are the laws on an out of print book that you can no longer buy?
Thanks to Disney, we have (from Wikipedia):

Copyright protection generally lasts for 70 years after the death of the author. If the work was a "work for hire", then copyright persists for 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever is shorter. For works created before 1978, the copyright duration rules are complicated. However, works created before 1923 have made their way into the public domain.

The holder of the copyright has exclusive right to make copies of the work regardless of whether it is in print or not. After an author dies, his heirs have exclusive right for 70 more years.

Lots of people ignore such laws. I was talking to a world champion hoping he would put some of his knowledge into print which I offered to help with. He felt it was not worth the trouble as pirated copies would be outselling his books within a few weeks of publication, based on the experience of another world champion he knew. It's similar for some DVDs.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if Buddy owns the copyright to his book? If the publisher owned it, then what happens when the publisher no longer exists? does it go back to Buddy?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder if Buddy owns the copyright to his book? If the publisher owned it, then what happens when the publisher no longer exists? does it go back to Buddy?

In general someone gets the assets of a business that fails or is closed.

SPetty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lordy! That's one awesome collection you're selling. Anyone who's interested in pool books should check out all the listings: http://www.ebay.com/sch/slpetty/m.html
Thanks, Bob. It is a lot more painful than I ever imagined it would be to let these go. If you happen to want to bid and win any of these auctions, your shipping will be 'no charge' as a miniscule compensation for the unending contributions you have made to us all.

I've posted a thread in the For Sale section with a list of the books that are available - some have multiple copies up on eBay.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=444420

Sam at TAP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rags book

I have a copy that I bought when it first came out and I got Buddy to sign it. I had no idea it was worth that much but I will say this. It is a great read once you get past his childhood years which is the first chapter or so. The print is small but if it was larger the book would have been twice as think and it's a thick book as it is. If the price is right, I would might be willing to let it go. I think I read it twice over the years...(PS...I was in the stands when he won the US Open in 91. He played great that week.)

As for the comment on Grady, I got to hang with him for a few hours when he did a exhibition back in the mid 90's. He was very interesting to talk to and pick his brain. For a so called nincapoop as someone stated, he sure knew the diamond system, kicking and banks. Great player.