Darren Appleton's World 8 Ball Series 2017

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So how is the PPV stream today? Looks like there will only be two streamed matches tomorrow and Tuesday too based on the scheduled on their website. ...

Stream was fine today (Sunday).

I imagine they will stream some of the 2nd-chance event tomorrow (Monday) as well as the rounds of 16 and 8 (2:30 and 8:30) in the main event.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to see Billy Thorpe participating in a big table event.

Michael Hill, Alex, and now Dennis. Thats a murderers row lineup.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
So, over all...is this tournament look like a homerun, triple, double, single, or a strike out? How is the PPV doing and the gate at Steinway? Only thing I don't like about it is the single knockout and not crazy about 8-ball. Johnnyt

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stream was fine today (Sunday).

I imagine they will stream some of the 2nd-chance event tomorrow (Monday) as well as the rounds of 16 and 8 (2:30 and 8:30) in the main event.

Thanks. Good point on them streaming the 2nd-chance event. Might check it out today, although not really wanting to watch another Shaw match.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Most of the big global events are setup as Darren has here --- long races, single elimination when they get down to 64. I like it. It works for Tennis. It can work for pool and is setup better IF pool would to ever get back on TV.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
It's hard to say the cream isn't rising to the top... qualified into final 16 so far:

Shaw
Melling
Hohmann
Chinakhov
Biado
Corteza
Appleton
Orcollo
Chua
Souquet
Kazakis
Oi
Immonen
Strickland
Thorpe

Only two Americans??? It must be the coaches fault. :p

Last edited:

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, over all...is this tournament look like a homerun, triple, double, single, or a strike out? How is the PPV doing and the gate at Steinway? Only thing I don't like about it is the single knockout and not crazy about 8-ball. Johnnyt

I spent a few hours at Steinway on Saturday. There was a good crowd and all seemed to be going smoothly while I was there. Pretty busy, lots of matches, and the energy was high. As a spectator it was very enjoyable.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm curious about this too. I find the timing weird. To have the two final days (best days to watch) on a Mon/Tues seems really odd to me. If it ended on a Saturday/Sunday I would absolutely stream at least the final day if not both days. But since I have to work during the day I'm not sure I'll stream even the final day since I wouldn't be able to watch it all.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious about this too. I find the timing weird. To have the two final days (best days to watch) on a Mon/Tues seems really odd to me. If it ended on a Saturday/Sunday I would absolutely stream at least the final day if not both days. But since I have to work during the day I'm not sure I'll stream even the final day since I wouldn't be able to watch it all.
In their defense it's a holiday for many today. But yeah, a weekend finish seems like a good idea when practical.

The PPV was a little steep for me.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, that is true today I guess, unfortunately not one for me...though if it was I would have purchased the stream today probably.

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to understand the procedures and scoring as it relates to a double-hill 5-shot shootout battle. For instance, Billy Thorpe's score was 18; Alex 15. If Billy made his first 5-shot set, would his score be 12+5=17? Did Alex make 3 balls of his 5-shot shootout?

And Ruslan 16; Shuff 14

Ramil 12; Mika 16.

P.S. "You can explain it to me, but you can't understand it for me"

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to understand the procedures and scoring as it relates to a double-hill 5-shot shootout battle. For instance, Billy Thorpe's score was 18; Alex 15. If Billy made his first 5-shot set, would his score be 12+5=17? Did Alex make 3 balls of his 5-shot shootout? ...

I haven't seen one of these shootouts yet. But you're right, if they were adding one point for each shot made in the shootout, it would seem to be 17 rather than 18. Ted Lerner's news report says "The young American then dramatically won the match by sinking all five shots in the thrilling shootout ..."

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I was skeptical, but I think I really like the shootout idea. Although there hasnt been one on the main stream I watched a facebook video of the one with Billy and Alex. It was high tension, pressure, and excitement. All 3 are things sometimes pool sorely lacks. Also I like that both players get their chance after reaching double hill instead of someone breaking and running the final rack.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Earl just forgot it is take what you make. Daz gets up and tells him he sunk the wrong ball! Classic.