Schon Cues

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Curious about the current production cues. I'm looking at another bumper-less Schon. The last one had a flaw...the wrap was not 100% tight in a certain area. Could move it slightly and a gap was obvious. Also bought a 30" Schon shaft with a lot of distracting wood grain. I heard the Schon quality is not the same as it has been. I'd like to hear from people that have bought a new Schon in the past few months. How is the quality. I'm looking for a few reviews before I buy another Schon. Thank you. Frank

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not acquainted with Schon's current line of cues but your post conveys there's likely problems
afoot there with quality. There's no excuse for a wrap to leave the shop like that.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive handled several new ones at a local brick and mortar dealer. The fit and finish are not what they used to be. I sold off all my Schons a while back for other reasons, but if I were to buy one now, it would be an older used one.

bigB

Registered
I bought a CX-53 2+ years ago (maybe that's not recent enough) and I couldn't be happier with how it's held up, and how it plays. I bought it through cheapcues.com and got the matching predator shaft. It was a really good deal in my opinion. So for whatever it's worth, I'm happy with my "recent purchase of a production Schon".

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got a new shaft for a stitched schon I have. taper is spot on as far as I can tell. I've shot for 20+ years with an sr6 schon and the new shafts(also got a 30") just feel right to me. quality is great.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recently got a new shaft for a stitched schon I have. taper is spot on as far as I can tell. I've shot for 20+ years with an sr6 schon and the new shafts(also got a 30") just feel right to me. quality is great.

Only concerned with the butt.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen a handful of recent production Schons and they've all been great. No fit/finish issues in the ones I've handled at all. Was recently at the shop and they're going to be doing some great stuff in the future, John is really looking to move Schon in the right direction I think. Including the possible return of sharp points on some cues in the future, which has me very excited.

I think a couple years back when Evan was on the way out and the brand was in that transition there may have been some issues but what I've seen come out of their recently has been great.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen a handful of recent production Schons and they've all been great. No fit/finish issues in the ones I've handled at all. Was recently at the shop and they're going to be doing some great stuff in the future, John is really looking to move Schon in the right direction I think. Including the possible return of sharp points on some cues in the future, which has me very excited.

I think a couple years back when Evan was on the way out and the brand was in that transition there may have been some issues but what I've seen come out of their recently has been great.

Thanks for the positive upside....but I'm damaged. 2 poorly finished expensive cues leaves me very apprehensive to deal again. The worst of the 2 was the cue where the finish started to badly self destruct when it became my player.
Thanks for everyone's reply. I'm done looking at this particular Schon for now.

Attachments

• h6_leather_2400.jpg
    h6_leather_2400.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,191
Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like most here, I would only be interested the older Schons with the spliced points instead of the CNC they use now.

Shame to see such wonderful cues go away and now they build them like everyone else....

JMO

Ken

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about the news ones. I have an old SL-5 with 2 shafts I wouldn't mind selling but I've seen too many meltdown drama queen transactions on this website to sell it here so I just keep it despite the fact I seldom use it.

I know Evan left but did they have other turnover as well in their employees?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know about the news ones. I have an old SL-5 with 2 shafts I wouldn't mind selling but I've seen too many meltdown drama queen transactions on this website to sell it here so I just keep it despite the fact I seldom use it.

I know Evan left but did they have other turnover as well in their employees?

I heard there were changes

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would not surprise me. All about keeping costs down and increasing margins these days.

I will not buy any cue with CNC rounded points. Period. The longer and sharper the points the more I drool.

Have a good weekend,

-Kat,

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have slipped in their QC. I've seen a few newer ones that shouldn't have left the door. Poor gaps where butt-cap meets sleeve, bad ferrule-shaft join lines, bad wrap jobs are some of the things i've seen. They better wake-up because once your QC reputation slips you're DONE.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like Schon have had some changes in staff and management, wich has affected the quality of their product. If Schon indeed has started to cut corners to reduce costs, I wonder why? Schon cues are quite expensive for a production cue, and I cant really see that there is that much money to be saved by reducing quality, wich is why Schon can charge the prices they do in the first place...

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really think the issues people have seen were from the transition period right before/after Evan left. I had one instance then when I had a couple bad cues come my way. I think some of those cues may still be out there.

I haven't personally bought a new one since then but my friend has recently purchased three cues from them and they're fantastic. One was a special order wrapless with a mid extension which they had never done but executed perfectly. I've also had the pleasure of touring the shop and talking with John. He's very committed to keeping the quality up and the stuff coming out of the shop recently has looked great from what I've seen.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They have slipped in their QC. I've seen a few newer ones that shouldn't have left the door. Poor gaps where butt-cap meets sleeve, bad ferrule-shaft join lines, bad wrap jobs are some of the things i've seen. They better wake-up because once your QC reputation slips you're DONE.

How's this for poor. The forearm is fine. The sleeve self destructed with light usage. The finish peels off with no resistance.

Attachments

• IMG_6252.jpg
    IMG_6252.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 461

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one that I refinished as few years ago ... basic STL model. The balance was way off, stuffed to the gills with lead, just to make 19 0z

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member

Meucci is still selling cues, so that isn't really accurate.