Pro players who play simple patterns

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My game has progressed the last year a bunch,but I have been told by strong players that I am over spinning the cue ball and going around the table too often when other options would be more consistant.Can you recommend some pros for me to watch on youtube that generally play simpler patterns with minimal cue power?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
CJ Riley suggests what you are thinking. Look for His "Ultimate Pool Secrets" and "Touch of Inside" Vids.
https://youtu.be/RyTvfeqeh5Y
Keep the number of options limited so that you know how the ball will react.

Simple Practice Drills done over and over will help you to remember how shots react. Just setup a Short Angle Shot BUT hit it with a tips worth of Inside English. See how the ball reacts with and without the english. Aim for the Inside 1/3 of pocket. I'm not the best at splanin' things. Hit a Cue Ball Towards Center Short Rail but with One Tip English and See How It Comes Back One Diamond Away at Normal Shot Speed of a lag and 1/2.

He has some good ideas but his videos are lacking in graphics and practice drills. They need to update them.

There needs to be a Basic, Fundamental, Illustrated Instruction Video for Beginners and Novices using overhead shots and graphics, with tons of very basic practice drills that are done level by level.

Last edited:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
today almost all of em, euros more than americans and chinese/taiwanese more so than euros

I'd avoid the fillipinos for learning methods as they play unconventionally

it sounds like you're making the common yet erroneous choice to avoid tougher ball pocketing in favour of easier shots whilst zipping the cueball around the table, fun way to play, who doesn't love three rail running english to break up a cluster but it won't lend itself to development

maybe provide some specific examples and layouts where you think you may be going wrong

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they all pretty much play the same patterns. Rodney Morris is the only one that suprises me from time to time with his choices. The reason some of them appear to play crazier patterns is because they lose their cue ball more often on simplier shots. It's not really the other way around.

Last edited:

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned, watch the Taiwanese. Specifically, Ko Pin Yi.

Many of the Taiwanese like to punch the ball and play more direct patterns than most.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ Riley suggests what you are thinking. Look for His "Ultimate Pool Secrets" and "Touch of Inside" Vids.
https://youtu.be/RyTvfeqeh5Y
Keep the number of options limited so that you know how the ball will react.

Simple Practice Drills done over and over will help you to remember how shots react. Just setup a Short Angle Shot BUT hit it with a tips worth of Inside English. See how the ball reacts with and without the english. Aim for the Inside 1/3 of pocket. I'm not the best at splanin' things. Hit a Cue Ball Towards Center Short Rail but with One Tip English and See How It Comes Back One Diamond Away at Normal Shot Speed of a lag and 1/2.

He has some good ideas but his videos are lacking in graphics and practice drills. They need to update them.

There needs to be a Basic, Fundamental, Illustrated Instruction Video for Beginners and Novices using overhead shots and graphics, with tons of very basic practice drills that are done level by level.

C.J. Wiley knows what he is talking about. TOI will help anyone.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
today almost all of em, euros more than americans and chinese/taiwanese more so than euros

I'd avoid the fillipinos for learning methods as they play unconventionally

it sounds like you're making the common yet erroneous choice to avoid tougher ball pocketing in favour of easier shots whilst zipping the cueball around the table, fun way to play, who doesn't love three rail running english to break up a cluster but it won't lend itself to development

maybe provide some specific examples and layouts where you think you may be going wrong

Well,best I can say is I learned spinning by watching Earl,Reyes, and SVB.I never had spun the ball much.I started on ZeroX playing draw, center, and follow only just using natural angles.I started practicing spinning the ball by myself and massively increased my control of whitey and my overall game.I use a bunch of inside english with follow and have been two and three railing with same quite a bit.I'm running single racks on bar tables every day (very rare multi rack days) I play but I have recently been told after losses to two different top local guys that they like my progress this year but I am overcomplicating my game and making things harder on myself than they need to be.I watch these guys alot and they do power the ball ocassionally but they win a lot making it look like they are doing nothing.I'm teetering between a strong 6 and really weak 7.I think they are right and I know if I watch a bunch of "simpler" players I will soak it up.

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There comes a point in time with any solid players evolution, where he/she becomes comfortable with "accepting" a slightly more difficult or longer shot as opposed to trying to get near perfect shape in order to avoid excessive cue ball travel and/or landing on the wrong side of a ball.

Dave

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like they all choose simple patterns.

Simple isn't always the best. Many times going an extra rail or two makes your buffer size on where you can land much larger. What's my best chance to get out; That's what you should try to keep in mind. If you think too much about playing simple patterns it's just going to hurt your game I think.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally simple is better. The more factors you can eliminate from each shot the better.

Using center ball and perfecting your use of angles is the best way to play since it eliminates the need to hit a random spot on the cue ball. Newer players get out of line more and need to use spin to get back on the right line so they tend to think using spin is a better way to play.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
allison fisher in the early days when she was #1
played mainly vertical axis shape

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
My game has progressed the last year a bunch,but I have been told by strong players that I am over spinning the cue ball and going around the table too often when other options would be more consistant.Can you recommend some pros for me to watch on youtube that generally play simpler patterns with minimal cue power?

moved to new thread....

Last edited:
KISS Principle - Keep It Simple Stup*d

Only use spin/english when necessary. Play proper pattern, natural angles, positional zone, with correct speed only will make you a consistent player. Safeties should be used when there is no possible runout or to slow down opponent. Play two-way shots: possible make with safety builtin in case you miss. Simple, easy, and smart.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Right on, Buddy Hall really did keep it simple, a perfect example for that style.

Isn't he the one who once said something like, "Never try to play shape when you already have shape"? I believe he was quoted by Mr. Capelle in the PLay Your Best Straight Pool book.