What happened to the cue market lately?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years ago I wrote a post about branding and the neatherthal approach that contemporaneous
cue-makers & leather craftsmen are still employing. My daughter founded her own company 6 years
ago that help a small business penetrate their market and drive business but today the pool industry
is just stuck on using a Beta Max approach in a world where everything streams, i.e., completely out
of touch with the market. In the pool industry, there's little recognition about the importance of branding.

Matt B.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you think about it, marketing or branding is the biggest problem for custom cue builders.

The biggest problem for cuemakers is an oversaturated market that becomes more saturated by the week.

The result is a very small market for cuemakers allowing for few who can commit to cuemaking on a full time basis.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
So how did this conversation swing from secondary market lull to cue makers having issues with branding and/or marketing? Cue makers aren't the people who benefit from the secondary cue market, nor are they the ones complaining about it being slow. I got a feeling people don't really understand cue making much. It's not something anybody can make a lot of money at. In order to sell cues at a high price, we have to keep the production low or else folks lose interest. As soon as a maker begins ramping up production, there suddenly is an availability boost and people lose interest, thus causing prices to fall. It's impossible to make a lot of cues AND get good money for them. That's the box we step into when we become cue makers, and it's universal. Now we have a failing market because we take a stone age approach to marketing/branding? Give me a flippin break.

The thing I have noticed my entire time with cues is that everybody wants to make money. Everybody is playing an angle to make money on my cues except for me. Flippers want cues cheaper than even the dealers get so they can make a quick dollar undercutting the retail price. Worse yet they always have some stupid story or excuse about why they need it so cheap, as if I haven't heard a million of them already. The problem with the market isn't that cue makers need to work on their advertising. The problem with the market is that there are a thousand flippers vying for the same dollar, trying to out flip one another. Cue makers aren't responsible for brand building so you can make money off their name. If you want to b!tch that the market is slow, then take some responsibility on yourself to promote cues & recruit new buying base. Why should I, as the maker, carry the burden of not only my own career, but yours as a flipper as well? That is totally a quintessential pool player move. Get pissed off and whine, blaming somebody else because you couldn't pull off your hustle. You get stuck with a cue you never had any intention of keeping or playing with, only owned it for the purpose of flipping for profit, and now it's the cue maker's fault because nobody is buying it at your inflated price. That damned cue maker needs to work on his name recognition! Can't make this crap up.

What's going to happen in the next level of progression is cue sales will be sold via cue maker website. Taking the middle man out of the picture. Can't wait for this to happen. The secondary market for used and rare cues will be the only market left.

Your statements are 100% true.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how did this conversation swing from secondary market lull to cue makers having issues with branding and/or marketing? Cue makers aren't the people who benefit from the secondary cue market, nor are they the ones complaining about it being slow. I got a feeling people don't really understand cue making much. It's not something anybody can make a lot of money at. In order to sell cues at a high price, we have to keep the production low or else folks lose interest. As soon as a maker begins ramping up production, there suddenly is an availability boost and people lose interest, thus causing prices to fall. It's impossible to make a lot of cues AND get good money for them. That's the box we step into when we become cue makers, and it's universal. Now we have a failing market because we take a stone age approach to marketing/branding? Give me a flippin break.

The thing I have noticed my entire time with cues is that everybody wants to make money. Everybody is playing an angle to make money on my cues except for me. Flippers want cues cheaper than even the dealers get so they can make a quick dollar undercutting the retail price. Worse yet they always have some stupid story or excuse about why they need it so cheap, as if I haven't heard a million of them already. The problem with the market isn't that cue makers need to work on their advertising. The problem with the market is that there are a thousand flippers vying for the same dollar, trying to out flip one another. Cue makers aren't responsible for brand building so you can make money off their name. If you want to b!tch that the market is slow, then take some responsibility on yourself to promote cues & recruit new buying base. Why should I, as the maker, carry the burden of not only my own career, but yours as a flipper as well? That is totally a quintessential pool player move. Get pissed off and whine, blaming somebody else because you couldn't pull off your hustle. You get stuck with a cue you never had any intention of keeping or playing with, only owned it for the purpose of flipping for profit, and now it's the cue maker's fault because nobody is buying it at your inflated price. That damned cue maker needs to work on his name recognition! Can't make this crap up.

Well stated, i agree Eric. Excellent point!!!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does a house cue conversion from any cuemaker cost more than $1k?? I don't care who it is... i don't understand that ...

I am consistently baffled

-Joe

I agree 1000%.

If ten makers take the same house cues and cut them in half and make Sneaky Pete's with NO bells and whistles, there is NO WAY one cue should sell for $2,000 and the rest sell for a couple hundred.

If a cue maker can make a simple Sneaky Pete cue 10 times better, I want to meet that person.

To me, a cue's value is PLAYABILITY that suits me. I don't care about inlays, rings, or fancy artwork. I want something that plays good.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I agree 1000%.

If ten makers take the same house cues and cut them in half and make Sneaky Pete's with NO bells and whistles, there is NO WAY one cue should sell for $2,000 and the rest sell for a couple hundred.

If a cue maker can make a simple Sneaky Pete cue 10 times better, I want to meet that person.

To me, a cue's value is PLAYABILITY that suits me. I don't care about inlays, rings, or fancy artwork. I want something that plays good.

What if Jesus was one of those 10 makers?... Would it then be worth $2k?

Before you answer that ask yourself if your "opinion" should be the only one...

Also, I encourage you to go to those makers shops, that you see their sneaky's selling for higher prices, and learn whats involved from their end first and maybe you might learn somthing and even understand SOME of the interest towards aquiring ANY work from them. (Just an FYI, I know of no maker that charges 2k OUT OF THEIR SHOP for a house cue cut in half made into a sneaky)

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
So would turning water into wine...:wink:

He does that too
Apparently that was his way of say that he liked you.
Doesn't sound like a cuemaker to me.
He must have some apprentices in there
Call them shop cues
Worth about half the $$

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
He does that too
Apparently that was his way of say that he liked you.
Doesn't sound like a cuemaker to me.
He must have some apprentices in there
Call them shop cues
Worth about half the $$

The wine was meant for himself...He'll need it :)

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
If every cuemaker turned off their lathe right now.. there are enough cues on the market for the next 20-30 years.

Number of live cuemakers x stock of all dealers x ebay x craigslist / number of pool players..

JV

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple months go I had a spectacular Richard Chudy for sale. I started at 1150.00 and ended up reducing it 950.00. I got offers in the- 650-750.00 range. Up to this point I have had great success selling cues at very fair prices on AZ.

I ended up taking the Chudy of the market and I gave it away to a good friend who loved the cue. This whole experience pretty much took any motivation to buy any more cues.

I do agree with the theory of spending 300-400 on a good custom sneaky is absolutely the best way to go. They hit great and their easy to sell.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I do agree with the theory of spending 300-400 on a good custom sneaky is absolutely the best way to go.
$300-$400 for a Sneaky Pete?

This is what is wrong with the cue market.
How many people have that much money to spend on a Sneaky Pete?
Most regular Joe's will buy an Eliminator SP for $75.
Maybe $120-$180 for a Players cue.
That's a lot of money!
Most people still use the house cues!
Too many good, basic production cues are available at a decent price of under $300.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm talking custom. A Josey or Bob Fry for instance. Hell even a Predator or a Tiger is going to cost that. That's not to say you can't pick up a good sneaky for 150.00. My point is....If you buy a Keith Josey sneaky for 400. You can get that back all day long...and quick.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Who?

I and the majority of league players have no idea who those people are.
Kinda like loving Porches but I have to drive a Toyota.

I'm talking custom. A Josey or Bob Fry for instance. Hell even a Predator or a Tiger is going to cost that. That's not to say you can't pick up a good sneaky for 150.00. My point is....If you buy a Keith Josey sneaky for 400. You can get that back all day long...and quick.

Pii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"There simply is no need for expensive or custom cues anymore."

Was there ever?